How much are we to blame?

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Since 2008, (same time frame CPJ has been at GT), WF football has had three winning seasons, never winning more than 8 games. Please explain to me how that makes them a "much better program."

In reality, considering how little we spend, the very fact that we went bowling all but two years of the last 10 means our ROI is exceptional.

You don't need to go back to 2008, Give me the data from the past 3 seasons. Let's look at what were doing right now.

Hell I could go back to 1990 and tell you how awesome our team was and we only spend 17mil currently.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
You don't need to go back to 2008, Give me the data from the past 3 seasons. Let's look at what were doing right now.

Hell I could go back to 1990 and tell you how awesome our team was and we only spend 17mil currently.

That's called cherry picking stats. If you're looking to drive a narrative, that's exactly how you do it.

But to play your game, statistically the two teams are a push. WFU is 17-13 while GT is 15-12 since 20016. (Both teams were 3-9 in 2015) I am betting by the end of this season GT will be in better shape than WF will be. Also, GT won the head to head matchup in that time frame.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
As of 2017, we were 61st is spending on football in P5. 61st. In the ACC, only WFU spends less than us on football.

Duke spends more on their football program than us.

Let that sink in...

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefoot...ollege_football_where_does_syracuse_rank.html

Eye-opener. I knew we were way down the list in football spending, but I didn’t realize we have the second-smallest athletic budget in the country. Maybe we should eliminate wrestling, gymnastics, and lacrosse. Oh, wait...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
That's called cherry picking stats. If you're looking to drive a narrative, that's exactly how you do it.

But to play your game, statistically the two teams are a push. WFU is 17-13 while GT is 15-12 since 20016. (Both teams were 3-9 in 2015) I am betting by the end of this season GT will be in better shape than WF will be. Also, GT won the head to head matchup in that time frame.

No you were cherry picking. I am just talking about current relevant football. And If we have a better record than them at the end of this year then you may have a valid point. I have not looked at any of their stats yet (can I even cherry pick without knowing the data...?)

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer

Cherry picking to me would be starting in 2008. Nobody has a problem with what Johnson did at the beginning of his tenure here. The problem came along when Gailey's players left and he had to start playing with his own. The talent differential has been staggering and while he certainly gets a ton of credit for 2014, he also has to take the blame for what the program has done in 3 of the past 4 seasons.

We are not playing to our programs standards.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Cherry picking to me would be starting in 2008. Nobody has a problem with what Johnson did at the beginning of his tenure here. The problem came along when Gailey's players left and he had to start playing with his own. The talent differential has been staggering and while he certainly gets a ton of credit for 2014, he also has to take the blame for what the program has done in 3 of the past 4 seasons.

We are not playing to our programs standards.

Cherry picking is intentionally shrinking the sample size. I’ve done the complete opposite. It’s obvious you have a narrative you want driven.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok. So act NOW. Cut that check NOW. Encourage others to donate freely NOW. Unless we commit to spending freely on this program, doing anything else right now is just changing the color of the lipstick on the pig.
Why would a Tech fan want to increase or begin to donate more money at this time, when T.S. might use it to give PJ another raise? The last one about 10 months ago hasn't done any good.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
All the more reason to get caught up and see what Coach can do when this - he's been calling for more support for his entire tenure - happens. My guess is that we'll do just fine. Unlike what people say, there are a multitude of problems that can be cured any throwing money at them. Indeed, it ought to be the first option for almost everything.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Namaste.

Why do people follow something (CFB = entertainment) that pisses them off?

I play and enjoy golf. And it really pisses me off when I don't play to my own potential. I'm not expecting to beat Jordan Spieth. Or even the guy with the 2 handicap next door. But when I play worse than I know I am capable of, and can't beat the 15 handicapper, then it gets frustrating. I think this analogy may answer your question. I don't want to quit because I get angry. I want to improve and fix the problems.

I play and enjoy golf. And it really pisses me off when I don't play to my own potential. I'm not expecting to beat Jordan Spieth. Or even the guy with the 2 handicap next door. But when I play worse than I know I am capable of, and can't beat the 15 handicapper, then it gets frustrating. I think this analogy may answer your question. I don't want to quit because I get angry. I want to improve and fix the problems.

I'm with ya. I never ever EVER say "It Is What It Is" after I play a crappy round of golf.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
What I would like to know is who is responsible for the video on national TV which has a college kid, supposedly a Tech student, telling that calculus is not hard at Tech saying we have great teachers that make it easy. This nonsense then invited the announcers to ridicule the video, talk about math should be limited to addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and further forward the notion that Tech is only for nerds who can master calculus. If it was "us" that had this ridiculous idea, then yes we are indeed our worst enemy.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
upload_2018-9-24_18-9-39.jpeg

I spent the 4th qtr in the radio booth. If you want a visual differences between us and cu. Then look at the number of people in orange tops and khaki pants from the 15 to the 15 yardlines. That is the size of their support staff. They just about out number the players on the sidelines.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

So you are minimizing your pissed condition by playing something you like; well sometimes and not well other times.

I get the analogy that the highs of GT football are worth the lows. But I haven't had enough endorphins from GT football in a while to cause me to get pissed. There are so many other things to do.

The guy who sits next to me where I work is a big golfer. I ask him why he gets such pleasure out of beating the crap out a defenseless white ball. {Rhetorical} He is really good about it and laughs. It's whatever you enjoy. I'm glad you like it. Really.