How much are we to blame?

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, be honest: how good of an ambassador is the average GT fan? How likely are they to attract new fans to our program? That’s how most people get pulled into being a fan of one team or another....someone invites them, they have a good time (not just about the results on the field. Biggest thing is socializing with fun people), and they want to go again.

You mean like bringing sidewalk fans with you, only to watch our team get stomped by the likes of BYU or MTSU?

Yeah, that works wonders.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
If you aren’t part of the solution, then you are part of the problem. We have a structural problem, that it doesn’t matter who’s coaching. If you were in your seats before the players came out for warm ups and looked at the cu staff size then you understand the commitment level needed to win. add facility improvements then things will start to change.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If you aren’t part of the solution, then you are part of the problem. We have a structural problem, that it doesn’t matter who’s coaching. If you were in your seats before the players came out for warm ups and looked at the cu staff size then you understand the commitment level needed to win. add facility improvements then things will start to change.
Agreed.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Just kinda skimming through these posts. Did I see we have a better attendance that Michigan State???? Wherever that stay came from is completely false. I go to at least 3 MSU games a year and 1 Tech game. We are nowhere close to them as far as student turnout and fan base. Not even close!

Animal02

Banned
Just kinda skimming through these posts. Did I see we have a better attendance that Michigan State???? Wherever that stay came from is completely false. I go to at least 3 MSU games a year and 1 Tech game. We are nowhere close to them as far as student turnout and fan base. Not even close!
Yes, whoever posted that was in error.....MSU ranks 19th with around 73k per game. Minnesota is 3 spots below us at 45.
So what is your impression of MSU stadium....was there for one game a few years ago....sat on the east side......stadium is old and and I thought far worse than BDS wrt amenities.

Deleted member 2897

Yes, whoever posted that was in error.....MSU ranks 19th with around 73k per game. Minnesota is 3 spots below us at 45.
So what is your impression of MSU stadium....was there for one game a few years ago....sat on the east side......stadium is old and and I thought far worse than BDS wrt amenities.

40,000 undergrads are at Michigan State. Their acceptance rate for admission is 2/3rds. They’re like the polar opposite for a college education to Georgia Tech. Our attendance per capita :) :) :) is much better.

Animal02

Banned
40,000 undergrads are at Michigan State. Their acceptance rate for admission is 2/3rds. They’re like the polar opposite for a college education to Georgia Tech. Our attendance per capita :) :) :) is much better.
They have over 150 degree programs as well....including sheep farming. Their campus is like a small city.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
You mean like bringing sidewalk fans with you, only to watch our team get stomped by the likes of BYU or MTSU?

Yeah, that works wonders.

Thank you for making my point, Mr. Ray of Sunshine.

You do realize that even during the great season in 2014 we lost 3 games. Should I have held off on inviting people then, in the off chance we might lose?

The Braves have been lackluster the last few years. People still go and have a good time. South Carolina football has been mediocre for years. People still show up and make it a party.

People notice how you deal with adversity. Most Tech men I know can deal with it fairly well.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
We would be entirely stupid enough to continue with this O after CPJ retires, is fired, or is hired away by bama.

We are indeed in such a formidable position as to turn off more recruits, turn off potential fans, encourage our opponents to take a huge sigh of relief, and to create more PR nightmares for ourselves.

If any school, group of alums, or group of fans is ignorant / arrogant enough to do this - we fit the bill.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for making my point, Mr. Ray of Sunshine.

You do realize that even during the great season in 2014 we lost 3 games. Should I have held off on inviting people then, in the off chance we might lose?

The Braves have been lackluster the last few years. People still go and have a good time. South Carolina football has been mediocre for years. People still show up and make it a party.

People notice how you deal with adversity. Most Tech men I know can deal with it fairly well.

2014 was not a great season. 1952 was a great season.

2014 had a great ending, which is huge.

CPJ only had his team ready to play one half against lil gsu. He lost to puke & uncheat.

That psychotic team preparedness is the best CPJ can do, but over a 10 year period he is about 50% vs real teams.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
2014 was not a great season. 1952 was a great season.

2014 had a great ending, which is huge.

CPJ only had his team ready to play one half against lil gsu. He lost to puke & uncheat.

That psychotic team preparedness is the best CPJ can do, but over a 10 year period he is about 50% vs real teams.

If you don’t think an 11 win season, that includes an Orange Bowl win, a win over Uga, and a win over Clemson, is a great season, then you have serious issues and need to reset your expectations for GT football.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Here's the th
“I swear we are our own worst enemy as a fan base perpetuating the same stereotypes that we are trying to debunks “

These were my words to Lv20 last year, but i really want to assess my quote. After a convo with some fans and hearing former players say things such “I know a 4* who wants go to Tech but _**insert stereotype***”

We all complain about recruiting not being up to par, but how much are we to blame for reinforcing the stereotypes that hurt us and led us to where we are now?

This is such a complicated answer, I am unsure where to begin. I think we as fans bear a lot of the responsibility for where our program is now, but not mainly, or even mostly, because of stereotype perpetuation.

Ultimately, the teams that compete for championships most consistently in FBS P5 football have several things in common.

1. Large fanbases
2. They spend money hand over fist
3. They prioritize football above all
4. Cooperation from their schools on allowing special admits for athletics

At GT, we do NOT have a large fanbase, and as our fanbase ages, it's overall size seems to be diminishing. We also do not allow football to take priority over academics, as many schools are wont to do. We do get some cooperation on special admits, but not nearly in the same way the factories do.

This leaves us with point number 2. And that's largely the fault of the fans. If we want to be consistently competitive, then we've got to start spending like we mean it. We can't continue to talk the talk, but not walk the walk. Somewhere on these threads, someone mentioned wanting a Ferrari on Pinto budget. That's a pretty apt description of where we are right now. We're similar to that independent NASCAR team that's cobbling a car together without major sponsors. Sure, we can get the right pieces together to compete from time to time, and maybe even stun the world every now and then, but until we have the finances to keep up with the other teams, we will never be consistent. If we want to see GT win consistently, then we need to start spending like we mean it. IMO, TStan gets this. We are just now seeing the program start a drive to upgrade our facilities. He's looking at ways to improve game day to get more butts in seats. I think long term, we have the guy that can lead us there, but we, as fans, are still responsible for funding and following his vision.

slugboy

Staff member
I pulled it from https://collegefootballnews.com/201...attendance-rankings-five-year-biggest-average , and there's a mistake on the list--Michigan State is #19, but Sporting News put them on twice, the second time at #64. I think they mixed them up with another school, but I'm not sure who.
I'd use the NCAA stats, but they stop at #25.
These stats have us followed by Arizona, Stanford, Minnesota, Utah, Rutgers, Cal, Baylor, TCU, Pitt, …, Colorado, Virginia, Purdue, Oregon State, UCF, Syracuse, BC, Houston, etc. Still enough support for us to do plenty well with recruiting.