How much are we to blame?

Here's the th

This is such a complicated answer, I am unsure where to begin. I think we as fans bear a lot of the responsibility for where our program is now, but not mainly, or even mostly, because of stereotype perpetuation.

Ultimately, the teams that compete for championships most consistently in FBS P5 football have several things in common.

1. Large fanbases
2. They spend money hand over fist
3. They prioritize football above all
4. Cooperation from their schools on allowing special admits for athletics

At GT, we do NOT have a large fanbase, and as our fanbase ages, it's overall size seems to be diminishing. We also do not allow football to take priority over academics, as many schools are wont to do. We do get some cooperation on special admits, but not nearly in the same way the factories do.

This leaves us with point number 2. And that's largely the fault of the fans. If we want to be consistently competitive, then we've got to start spending like we mean it. We can't continue to talk the talk, but not walk the walk. Somewhere on these threads, someone mentioned wanting a Ferrari on Pinto budget. That's a pretty apt description of where we are right now. We're similar to that independent NASCAR team that's cobbling a car together without major sponsors. Sure, we can get the right pieces together to compete from time to time, and maybe even stun the world every now and then, but until we have the finances to keep up with the other teams, we will never be consistent. If we want to see GT win consistently, then we need to start spending like we mean it. IMO, TStan gets this. We are just now seeing the program start a drive to upgrade our facilities. He's looking at ways to improve game day to get more butts in seats. I think long term, we have the guy that can lead us there, but we, as fans, are still responsible for funding and following his vision.
And we can't spend it if we don't have it. And we won't get it if fickle fans stop contributing because they don't like this, that, or the other. Support the AA and let them build up the coffers so we CAN spend on the things we need, whether it's a better coach, bigger staff, better facilities, or whatever.

Why would a Tech fan want to increase or begin to donate more money at this time, when T.S. might use it to give PJ another raise? The last one about 10 months ago hasn't done any good.
Because he might also use it to increase the staff, improve the facilities, enhance the game-day experience. You are throwing out the baby with the bath when you quit giving because you are picky and want to demand it be spent or not spent in certain ways.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Alot. A bunch of GT fans have an elitist attitude. It's a huge hindrance to the program

I think I agree with you, but it would help if I understand why you call our fans “elitist”. Is it because we think our academics are better than anyone else’s? Or because we think we should win just because we’re GT? Or some other reason?

Serious question here, not a jab.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow
I play and enjoy golf. And it really pisses me off when I don't play to my own potential. I'm not expecting to beat Jordan Spieth. Or even the guy with the 2 handicap next door. But when I play worse than I know I am capable of, and can't beat the 15 handicapper, then it gets frustrating. I think this analogy may answer your question. I don't want to quit because I get angry. I want to improve and fix the problems.
At least you are doing something where you are in control of the outcome and you have every right to be mad at yourself for not improving. Most on this board are upset over something which they have no control.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Why would a Tech fan want to increase or begin to donate more money at this time, when T.S. might use it to give PJ another raise? The last one about 10 months ago hasn't done any good.

They wouldn’t. And probably shouldn’t.

Tennessee pours money into football. But it’s not the average fan or STH. It’s the Haslams dropping 5 million here and 5 million there. We have mega donors. TStan is going after them. Give him time.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
They wouldn’t. And probably shouldn’t.

Tennessee pours money into football. But it’s not the average fan or STH. It’s the Haslams dropping 5 million here and 5 million there. We have mega donors. TStan is going after them. Give him time.
The problem with mega doners is the power they may accumulate and the favors that they may expect because of their big bucks. The Haslams practically control Tennessee athletics with their money and the University pretty much jumps when they say jump. The recent coaching hire and athletic director civil war was because Browns owner Jimmy Haslem wanted to name a favorite of his as head football coach.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The problem with mega doners is the power they may accumulate and the favors that they may expect because of their big bucks. The Haslams practically control Tennessee athletics with their money and the University pretty much jumps when they say jump. The recent coaching hire and athletic director civil war was because Browns owner Jimmy Haslem wanted to name a favorite of his as head football coach.

No question. But ... the program can’t generate the $$$ based on average contributions. It’s math. We need several *large* donors.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Cherry picking is intentionally shrinking the sample size. I’ve done the complete opposite. It’s obvious you have a narrative you want driven.

Lol. If you don’t understand my reason for not including Johnson’s entire tenure then you are clearly being closed minded and stubborn at the expense of honest discussion. But I think I’ve picked up on a pattern from you so I will certainly be aware going forward.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

I think that would depend on if the fan in question wants to actually help the program grow to where they incessantly tell everyone it should be or if they're more interested in having a sense of smug self-righteousness.

slugboy

Staff member
This is not even close to true for most of our games.

Should I rephrase it as “student tickets are consistently sold out and students who would like to attend can’t get their hands on a ticket”?
First come first serve with a student ID would probably have the seats full before kickoff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Lol. If you don’t understand my reason for not including Johnson’s entire tenure then you are clearly being closed minded and stubborn at the expense of honest discussion. But I think I’ve picked up on a pattern from you so I will certainly be aware going forward.

I completely understand your reason for not including Johnsons entire tenure. You'd like to exclude the best years from your data set, so you arbitrarily pick the last three years. That's chery picking a limited data set. Johnson is his ENTIRE record.

Now, I understand why a lot of fans are unhappy with CPJ. I can understand the desire for some to see him fired. If this season ends up with less than 6 wins, I think you might well see a change.

But NONE of this explains your asinine assertion that WF, with it's history of consistent losing, is a better football program than us. You've deflected from that nicely since being called out on it. I've shown you empirically, with stats from both a 10 year and three year data set, that at worst its a push and realistically GT is miles above WF in terms of its success as a football program. If you truly think that WF is better than us, then you are either a troll or doubling down on willful ignorance.

Of course, those last two options are not mutually exclusive...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I completely understand your reason for not including Johnsons entire tenure. You'd like to exclude the best years from your data set, so you arbitrarily pick the last three years. That's chery picking a limited data set. Johnson is his ENTIRE record.

Now, I understand why a lot of fans are unhappy with CPJ. I can understand the desire for some to see him fired. If this season ends up with less than 6 wins, I think you might well see a change.

But NONE of this explains your asinine assertion that WF, with it's history of consistent losing, is a better football program than us. You've deflected from that nicely since being called out on it. I've shown you empirically, with stats from both a 10 year and three year data set, that at worst its a push and realistically GT is miles above WF in terms of its success as a football program. If you truly think that WF is better than us, then you are either a troll or doubling down on willful ignorance.

Of course, those last two options are not mutually exclusive...

The fact that we are comparing ourselves to Wake Forest is ... disturbing.

It reminds of growing up in Alabama and reading about being 49th in the country for reading, composition, women in the workforce, didn't matter. All we could say was, "Thank God for Mississippi."

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The fact that we are comparing ourselves to Wake Forest is ... disturbing.

It reminds of growing up in Alabama and reading about being 49th in the country for reading, composition, women in the workforce, didn't matter. All we could say was, "Thank God for Mississippi."

This is the problem. The only way WF and GT are comparable is in what we spend on football. That is truly disturbing. Our results aren't really comparable. Our bad stretch of three years is a push with their best three years in a decade. As far as results, we are outperforming a large portion of the ACC, especially considering how LITTLE we spend on football.

Deleted member 2897

There are many things that Clemson does (for example) that we'll never be able to match or do. But one thing we can control is our fandom. "Whether rain, sleet, or snow, Clemson fans show." I was at both the 2015 and 2017 games in Clemson where the weather was terrible. Especially last year it was an absolute downpour. THE STADIUM WAS PACKED. The stadium was packed several years ago before Clemson was winning 10 games. One thing we have total control over is the money we give and the games we go to. No academic restrictions or restrictions from the Hill or Board of Regents can stop that. We each have to decide if and how we're going to be fans.

northgajacket

Banned
There are many things that Clemson does (for example) that we'll never be able to match or do. But one thing we can control is our fandom. "Whether rain, sleet, or snow, Clemson fans show." I was at both the 2015 and 2017 games in Clemson where the weather was terrible. Especially last year it was an absolute downpour. THE STADIUM WAS PACKED. The stadium was packed several years ago before Clemson was winning 10 games. One thing we have total control over is the money we give and the games we go to. No academic restrictions or restrictions from the Hill or Board of Regents can stop that. We each have to decide if and how we're going to be fans.

During really bad years Clemson fans were not showing up.