He's Back....

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Ok fine maybe Reggie was a fiery competitor and upstanding man, but c'mon he was no D1 power-5 level starting quarterback, and Gailey/Nix should've realized that plainly obvious fact and/or recruited somebody, anybody who could do better. Seriously the only reason Ball doesn't hold the career record for interceptions thrown is some kid in Hawaii's run & shoot offense had more attempts. Great kid, but a historically bad QB which is the fault of Chan Gailey.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
I wrote this in another thread, but it's appropriate here. One of the few times I've ever been embarrassed to be a GT fan was in 2008. Reggie Ball was recovering from an injury that he sustained while on the Detroit Lion's roster, and was hobbling down the BDS steps towards his seat in crutches when a so-called GT fan in front of me yelled "Reggie Ball sucks". I don't advocate violence, but it should have been legal for Reggie to take one his crutches and break it over that guy's head. Some fans are clueless.
I would have endorsed your taking matters into your own hands. So-called fan deserved an *** whipping.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I remember him with a 15 yard drop so I'm guessing he had two more problems, he was short and/or he had a terrible OL.
His O-Line was fine. Even being short was no excuse for throwing off your back foot 95% of the time. The best thing Reggie did was create a highlight reel for Calvin Johnson because he never got a decent pass to catch normally.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Tevin is still one of my favorite players. The man never quit, and gave his all. He was also a true team player. I am still mad at the fans that were booing him.
He was that despite his flaws. One of a handful of athletes I can think of who squeezed absolutely everything out of his abilities. Not many can, or are willing to, do that.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Cmon man, Ball was never as bad as folks made him out to be. Like another poster said, his problem was trying to do too much.

And if Reggie really was that bad, then fault lies with Gailey who could not find a better QB than him for the 4 years he started for Tech, or the years he didn't. While Nesbitt had more success as QB at Tech, I doubt our teams would have been as successful with Nesbitt under center under a pro-style offense under Gailey.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Ok fine maybe Reggie was a fiery competitor and upstanding man, but c'mon he was no D1 power-5 level starting quarterback, and Gailey/Nix should've realized that plainly obvious fact and/or recruited somebody, anybody who could do better. Seriously the only reason Ball doesn't hold the career record for interceptions thrown is some kid in Hawaii's run & shoot offense had more attempts. Great kid, but a historically bad QB which is the fault of Chan Gailey.

I say there is 8-9 SEC teams Reggie could of started for this past season. Reggie was not a pro style QB, but he had the makeup to be really good QB; strong arm, good feet, & good leadership qualities

poodleface

Jolly Good Fellow
This is the best news I've heard in a while. There is no doubt that TW understood the how all the pieces of the offense fit together. He's better here than at AT&T. :)

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hell yeah! Tevin led some of our best offenses. He practically carried the team in the 2011 Clemson win IRC.
I have this distinct memory of TW running the midline for a TD in that game (South EZ?). He pulled the ball from the BB as the unblocked beast of a DT (can't remember his name) crashed on the dive. That guy was so proud of himself for making a TD saving tackle, only to realize his guy didn't have the ball. His reaction when he figured it out was PRICELESS!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Reggie Ball, like Donnie Davis, played college football waay ahead of their times. Both guys would have been great spread option QBs. Such a shame that coach after Ross wasted Davis's talents.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
As fans, we get hung up on mistakes in the last 5-10 minutes of the game, but mistakes in the other 50 minutes don't hurt any less. 7 points add up the same no matter when they happen. It's hard to tell how many AVOIDED missed assignments or blown tackles would have meant that Reggie or Tevin were running out the clock in the 4th quarter instead of trying to come from behind. And then, we'd remember them differently even though they'd be exactly the same people.

when you have 40 more minutes left in a game to correct your mistake, its totally different than when you have only 2 mins left in a game and one opportunity. Its not fans that get caught up in it...its reality and players too. When you only have one shot at something....vs time to make up for it...it really defines a player even more.

there is no sport that I didn't play, even as a player, that when it was clutch time it didn't matter that much more. It does. Period. So i respectfully disagree and I think looking at a players production in clutch says a ton too. sure, an INT on a stat sheet is the same no matter when it happens, but that is hogwash to a player...An hail mary INT at the end of a half looks the same as Tevins vs FSU with 1:30 left....I do think mistakes in the other 50 minutes CAN hurt less....as a player you know you can remedy it.

now I get the point the whole game matters. But clutch mistakes that are repetitive...is a trend...like missing clutch free throws over and over...it says alot...

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Tevin got a bad rap...he led some extremely prolific offenses while he was here. Reggie was talented but tended to make horrible decisions at critical times that cost us games.

You can blame the coaches for a lot of the offensive issues during those four years, but Reggie shouldn't be free from blame either.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
when you have 40 more minutes left in a game to correct your mistake, its totally different than when you have only 2 mins left in a game and one opportunity. Its not fans that get caught up in it...its reality and players too. When you only have one shot at something....vs time to make up for it...it really defines a player even more.

there is no sport that I didn't play, even as a player, that when it was clutch time it didn't matter that much more. It does. Period. So i respectfully disagree and I think looking at a players production in clutch says a ton too. sure, an INT on a stat sheet is the same no matter when it happens, but that is hogwash to a player...An hail mary INT at the end of a half looks the same as Tevins vs FSU with 1:30 left....I do think mistakes in the other 50 minutes CAN hurt less....as a player you know you can remedy it.

now I get the point the whole game matters. But clutch mistakes that are repetitive...is a trend...like missing clutch free throws over and over...it says alot...
Let's recap that final drive in the '12 ACC championship.

2:00............... 3 and 14................... ball on the 11...................... 17 yd completion off scramble/broken pocket................. first down
1:45................2 and 10....................ball on the 28.........................9 yd completion.................................................................3rd and 1
1:22.................4 and 1 .....................ball on the 37.........................qb keeper............................................................................first down
1:10.................1 and 15 (after false start by OL)......................... interception.........................................................................FSU runs out clock for the win

The int was actually not that bad a throw for accuracy, it was late which allowed the linebacker to make a play coming around Robbie Godhigh and it was a very athletic play at that. We were in must throw mode on that play and for most plays in that drive and we all know how good we are in that scenario no matter who the qb is, no matter what year it is.

I'm not here to argue Tevin was a great qb in crunch time, but he did make 3 clutch plays on that drive, two huge ones, before the int. Our ST's surely didn't help us out in crunch time getting us decent field position for that final drive. I remember a few other fine plays by Tevin in that game as well as I was at that game.

TW was not somebody who was gonna be able to pull off the "put the team on my back" scenario, but he never shrank from the moment and gave it his all. If he had a better D and a few more weapons on O, we'd have been a much better team. We had no business even being in that game in the first place and we scared the poop out of the Criminoles who expected a cake walk.

I think he'll make a great mentor for current qb's in perfecting the nuances of the craft. The devil is in the details when you play option qb and I can't think of anyone else better suited to helping our guys sort them out.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry I started this my bringing up Reggie (worst 4 year starting QB in recent history) Ball, but Tevin Washington should be a great hire, regardless of how great/good of a QB he was. Because he ran the offense for 2.5 years he has a wealth of knowledge he can pass along and should be an asset to the coaching staff. Whether he excelled in the clutch or not really has nothing to do with it. Interceptions usually come from inaccuracy and split-second reactions of the defender, more so than bad reads. Most of the time Tevin made solid decisions running the option and throwing which is the part he can teach.

Last edited:

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
I always liked Reggie. Tough son of a b****. Always get up and talk some s***. Loved it.
He played like his dad. I coached his dad at Avondale. Reginald played linebacker and was one unbelievable wrestler. Saw him use a fire mans carry move on the defending state champ from Walker High and nearly broke the kid in half. Won the state at 185.and toyed with everyone. Reggie was a QB with a LB attitude. It is obvious where he got his swag!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Let's recap that final drive in the '12 ACC championship.

2:00............... 3 and 14................... ball on the 11...................... 17 yd completion off scramble/broken pocket................. first down
1:45................2 and 10....................ball on the 28.........................9 yd completion.................................................................3rd and 1
1:22.................4 and 1 .....................ball on the 37.........................qb keeper............................................................................first down
1:10.................1 and 15 (after false start by OL)......................... interception.........................................................................FSU runs out clock for the win

The int was actually not that bad a throw for accuracy, it was late which allowed the linebacker to make a play coming around Robbie Godhigh and it was a very athletic play at that. We were in must throw mode on that play and for most plays in that drive and we all know how good we are in that scenario no matter who the qb is, no matter what year it is.

I'm not here to argue Tevin was a great qb in crunch time, but he did make 3 clutch plays on that drive, two huge ones, before the int. Our ST's surely didn't help us out in crunch time getting us decent field position for that final drive. I remember a few other fine plays by Tevin in that game as well as I was at that game.

TW was not somebody who was gonna be able to pull off the "put the team on my back" scenario, but he never shrank from the moment and gave it his all. If he had a better D and a few more weapons on O, we'd have been a much better team. We had no business even being in that game in the first place and we scared the poop out of the Criminoles who expected a cake walk.

I think he'll make a great mentor for current qb's in perfecting the nuances of the craft. The devil is in the details when you play option qb and I can't think of anyone else better suited to helping our guys sort them out.

I dont care enough to argue or do research. Three end of games ints stick out in my mind. And i think there was more. Miami? I think he did it with vt twice. Maybe uga twice too. Its alot. Not once. Not twice. Like 3-6 times.