He's Back....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I dont care enough to argue or do research. Three end of games ints stick out in my mind. And i think there was more. Miami? I think he did it with vt twice. Maybe uga twice too. Its alot. Not once. Not twice. Like 3-6 times.
I think you missed these parts of my post:

"TW was not somebody who was gonna be able to pull off the "put the team on my back" scenario..."

and

"I'm not here to argue Tevin was a great qb in crunch time..."

Passing wasn't his strong suit in non-crunch time and passing is almost all you do in crunch time. The kid had heart, great instincts in the option, a knack for short yardage play, a great work ethic and got better each and every year. More importantly, he ended up with a complete working knowledge of our offense. That knowledge, if he is a good communicator, is an invaluable asset, but I doubt you are arguing that.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I dont care enough to argue or do research. Three end of games ints stick out in my mind. And i think there was more. Miami? I think he did it with vt twice. Maybe uga twice too. Its alot. Not once. Not twice. Like 3-6 times.

I think the argument is that if the defense and and special teams weren't a complete dumpster fire while he was QB he wouldn't have been in position to make those kind of end game mistakes because we wouldn't have needed a last second score. For an example off the top of my head in the VT games you mention he led the offense on a late scoring drive to take the lead but then another unit completely blew it immediately after. Basically, he played well enough for the team to win more games than it did and shouldered more blame than he should have because he couldn't endlessly bail out other parts of the team that couldn't do their job. Which isn't surprising because he didn't have that kind of talent.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the argument is that if the defense and and special teams weren't a complete dumpster fire while he was QB he wouldn't have been in position to make those kind of end game mistakes because we wouldn't have needed a last second score. For an example off the top of my head in the VT games you mention he led the offense on a late scoring drive to take the lead but then another unit completely blew it immediately after. Basically, he played well enough for the team to win more games than it did and shouldered more blame than he should have because he couldn't endlessly bail out other parts of the team that couldn't do their job. Which isn't surprising because he didn't have that kind of talent.

The d gave up like 17 that game and he threw the pick in ot. I get it. Our d has sucked for every qb here for 8 years. So the point is our qb is that much more important. Tevin is what he was. A really good kid and an avg player that got the most out of his ability which should help him as a coach.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The d gave up like 17 that game and he threw the pick in ot. I get it. Our d has sucked for every qb here for 8 years. So the point is our qb is that much more important. Tevin is what he was. A really good kid and an avg player that got the most out of his ability which should help him as a coach.
How many points did the VT D give up on average that year? The qb shouldn't have to be a savior in our offense, he's a point guard. All he should have to be is all Tevin was with maybe a stronger arm. With just average performances from the other units, not spectacular performances, we'd have been a much better team.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
The d gave up like 17 that game and he threw the pick in ot.

Yea. I get that. But if you remember that game Tevin took the offense on a 7-minute 72 yard TD drive to take the lead with under a minute left. Then the defense let VT drive the field and get the tying field goal in 40 seconds. That included a 24 yard pass on a 4th and 4 which IIRC the receiver was as open as you can get. The defense wasn't bad all game but they completely shat the bed in crunch time. Same criticism that gets thrown at Tevin a lot. But all anyone remembers is the pick in OT. He had plenty of bad games. But he had good games and moments that were overshadowed by somebody else blowing it. He didn't doesn't get a lot of credit for those games in my eyes. I don't think he was the problem with those teams. Which is a opinion that doesn't really have much to do with the current conversation but whatever.

I get it. Our d has sucked for every qb here for 8 years. So the point is our qb is that much more important. Tevin is what he was. A really good kid and an avg player that got the most out of his ability which should help him as a coach.

No argument from me. I'm not trying to say he was a great QB. He was adequate and probably only good on his best days. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do as a coach.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
The return of the shotgun snap!
Seriously TW will most definitely help make the offense run smoother. I forsee some wrinkles in the O & again the return of the shotgun.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
He played like his dad. I coached his dad at Avondale. Reginald played linebacker

This was Reggie's biggest problem IMO. He played like a LB at QB. I loved his competitiveness and think he would've been fun to watch in our current offense (if he could make the reads), but his aggressiveness played against him a lot of times. Some guys step their game up and play better when they are p***ed off (Jordan), while others make uncharacteristic mistakes that hurt them or their team. RB was the latter for me. I actually would have loved to see him play aback in this offense. Can you imagine the swivel DBs heads would be on with RB and Baybay or Smelter on the play side of the field? Pain!

He just had no finesse to his game or at least not enough for what they asked him to do. It seemed like he was either chucking the ball as far as he could for Calvin to go get, or throwing a fastball to somebody. I could be completely off though. We came in together and I may have had a few drinks before most of the games, but that was what I remembered.

Either way, I respect the effort both he and Tevin put forth. They may have frustrated me at times, but I never questioned their desire or will to win.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Fans countered Reggie's perceived ineptitude with wins over Auburnx2, and Miami. Tevin could lead the offense on 5 TD drives and still receive harsh criticism bc the defense gave up a lead and he was unsuccessful on a game winning drive

And in a few instances he led us on what should have been a late game tying/leading drive, only to see special teams or defense give the game up at the end. The VT game and uga games he played in are great examples.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
when you have 40 more minutes left in a game to correct your mistake, its totally different than when you have only 2 mins left in a game and one opportunity. Its not fans that get caught up in it...its reality and players too. When you only have one shot at something....vs time to make up for it...it really defines a player even more.

there is no sport that I didn't play, even as a player, that when it was clutch time it didn't matter that much more. It does. Period. So i respectfully disagree and I think looking at a players production in clutch says a ton too. sure, an INT on a stat sheet is the same no matter when it happens, but that is hogwash to a player...An hail mary INT at the end of a half looks the same as Tevins vs FSU with 1:30 left....I do think mistakes in the other 50 minutes CAN hurt less....as a player you know you can remedy it.

now I get the point the whole game matters. But clutch mistakes that are repetitive...is a trend...like missing clutch free throws over and over...it says alot...

CYDQkhTWMAAPNue.jpg

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

lets hope he doesn't hit the delete button on accident while under pressure to get the film breakdown out. lol

tevin is a smart kid and will be a great asset to the staff. I am sure of it. The best coaches were the ones who had to execute and think as much or more than be an athlete.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
lets hope he doesn't hit the delete button on accident while under pressure to get the film breakdown out. lol

tevin is a smart kid and will be a great asset to the staff. I am sure of it. The best coaches were the ones who had to execute and think as much or more than be an athlete.
image.png

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
And in a few instances he led us on what should have been a late game tying/leading drive, only to see special teams or defense give the game up at the end. The VT game and uga games he played in are great examples.

I love how people always try to use that VT game as an example of Tevin being clutch when he threw an interception in OT that basically gave the game to VT. He had every bit a hand in blowing that game. Even more so when you look at the entire game.

Also, against UGA in 2010, we got the ball back down 1 with 3 minutes to play. We went minus 6 yards on that 4 and out, basically forcing our defense to let them score, literally, to have a chance. Then, on the last drive, down by 8 with the ball on the UGA side of the field with a little over half a minute to play, Tevin throws an interception preventing us from even having a shot to tie the game late.

So no, neither of those games are exactly shining examples of clutch qb play.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sylvester: Tevin Washington will be ‘fantastic’ as GA

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2016/01/18/sylvester-tevin-washington-will-be-fantastic-as-ga/

Former Georgia Tech captain Steven Sylvester’s graduate assistant spot has been claimed by Tevin Washington, who likewise followed Sylvester as a Tech captain.
“He has a plan for how he wants to attack things,” Sylvester said last week. “That’s how he’s always been. I told him to sit back and observe and figure out what the coaches want and he’ll be fine. I think he’s going to be fantastic.”
Washington began his tenure as one of the offensive grad assistants following Sylvester’s hire at Jacksonville University as a running backs coach. Washington had been eyeing the job for a while, Sylvester said.
“We’ve talked countless and numerous times about the benefits and experience we have to offer having been here at Tech, especially him being in that offense and run it so well,” Sylvester said.
Washington had been working as a manager at an AT&T retail store in metro Atlanta prior to returning to Tech. He will work with the quarterbacks and B-backs, the same job that Sylvester had held.
“He’ll be able to explain things to the guys (with a perspective) that maybe nobody else looks at because he’s seen it from under center,” Sylvester said.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I love how people always try to use that VT game as an example of Tevin being clutch when he threw an interception in OT that basically gave the game to VT. He had every bit a hand in blowing that game. Even more so when you look at the entire game.

Also, against UGA in 2010, we got the ball back down 1 with 3 minutes to play. We went minus 6 yards on that 4 and out, basically forcing our defense to let them score, literally, to have a chance. Then, on the last drive, down by 8 with the ball on the UGA side of the field with a little over half a minute to play, Tevin throws an interception preventing us from even having a shot to tie the game late.

Wow?! Did you happen to see the hit TW took on the play before the pick in the VT game? I'll tell you what, he was a MAN for just getting up and continuing to play after that. I was screaming at the TV for us to call a time out so he could clear the cob webs. This post is a little unfair IMHO. I don't remember the finish of the UGAg game as well, so I will refrain from commenting further. TW had his moments and he failed to finish a couple times. I will grant you that, but let us be fair.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Thank you!

We all saw how ineffective Justin Thomas looked last season. As a matter of fact he looked worse than any year Tevin played. Point is, if the team around you keeps putting you in bad positions the odds get stacked against you being able to pull out miraculous wins. I would never blame last season's losses on JT any more than I would blame Tevin for the losses while he played.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wow?! Did you happen to see the hit TW took on the play before the pick in the VT game? I'll tell you what, he was a MAN for just getting up and continuing to play after that. I was screaming at the TV for us to call a time out so he could clear the cob webs. This post is a little unfair IMHO. I don't remember the finish of the UGAg game as well, so I will refrain from commenting further. TW had his moments and he failed to finish a couple times. I will grant you that, but let us be fair.
My memory is that when VT marched the length of the field in 40 seconds to save the ball game I texted to everybody I knew that Tech has just lost the game. That was one of the most deflating series I have ever watched as a Tech fan given that VT was pretty hard to score on and Tevin had just led us on a miraculous go ahead drive. Over time was just a formality after that. All the air had gone out of Tech and VT was sky high.

Football is such an emotional game.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I love it when people like you have no idea what they are talking about. Interception in OT? There was no OT in the VT game. You probably don't remember this, since you don't seem to remember much accurately, but TW scored what should have been game tying TDs in both games. Against VT he through a 42 yard pass to Melton and had another nice 13 yard run to get in the red zone. After we gave up a TD to VT, TW was at it again. 17 yard run on third and 17. 38 yard pass to Cone. Couple more 8/9 yard runs.

It was Tevins play that got us the first TD and also drove the length of the field to give us a shot with 15 seconds left. He's not Jesus - you expect him to pull miracles out of his ***. If we don't give up the extra points we don't have to force the ball in the end zone at the end and we win on a field goal.