He's Back....

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I am pumped beyond description because of this news. The more time JT has with Tevin the better as far as I am concerned. I have no idea who TW will be working most closely with, in terms of position groups, but as long as he has a little time to bend Justin's ear, I am happy. This has to be good for us. Justin has more talent and physical ability, clearly, but by the time Tevin had left here, he had mastered a lot of the nuances that should make Justin so much better. If nothing else happens besides firming up the midline option, finding check downs in the passing game, and QB follow plays etc, then we will be way better off. I have visions of them sitting together in the film room with a huge bucket of popcorn being shared between them.

Also, think about guys like Matthew Jordan and Christian Campbell, who are coming along and the kind of help TW can provide to their development.

Welcome back Tevin!

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree that this is a big positive. We watched TW grow into and master this offense during his time at GT. He wasn't an AA, but it wasn't from lack of effort and heart. The 2011 Clemson game was an absolutely masterful performance, and I'll never forget the fake pitches he had in that game (something that I've seen JeT do, but I think he can get better at). Huge help, and I'm sure he'll be working closely with QBs.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I am pumped beyond description because of this news. The more time JT has with Tevin the better as far as I am concerned. I have no idea who TW will be working most closely with, in terms of position groups, but as long as he has a little time to bend Justin's ear, I am happy. This has to be good for us. Justin has more talent and physical ability, clearly, but by the time Tevin had left here, he had mastered a lot of the nuances that should make Justin so much better. If nothing else happens besides firming up the midline option, finding check downs in the passing game, and QB follow plays etc, then we will be way better off. I have visions of them sitting together in the film room with a huge bucket of popcorn being shared between them.

Also, think about guys like Matthew Jordan and Christian Campbell, who are coming along and the kind of help TW can provide to their development.

Welcome back Tevin!
Class guy...so glad he was given this opportunity a nice reward as an example for others based on his dedication and toughness through criticism and adversity...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Part of it was some of the fans were infatuated with Vad's abilities. After the UNC 2012 game, and Vad ran for a bazillion yards, the hype train officially left the station, and everyone wanted to play with the QB with a seemingly much higher ceiling. Every time Tevin did anything perceived to be less than what Vad could do, out came the whistles to change QBs.

It was only after the 2013 season (Vad's only season as a full time starter) that people began to realize and appreciate what Tevin did for us despite some of his physical shortcomings.

1st step?

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Fans countered Reggie's perceived ineptitude with wins over Auburnx2, and Miami. Tevin could lead the offense on 5 TD drives and still receive harsh criticism bc the defense gave up a lead and he was unsuccessful on a game winning drive
I wrote this in another thread, but it's appropriate here. One of the few times I've ever been embarrassed to be a GT fan was in 2008. Reggie Ball was recovering from an injury that he sustained while on the Detroit Lion's roster, and was hobbling down the BDS steps towards his seat in crutches when a so-called GT fan in front of me yelled "Reggie Ball sucks". I don't advocate violence, but it should have been legal for Reggie to take one his crutches and break it over that guy's head. Some fans are clueless.
Absolutely ridiculous. Reggie and Tevin did the best they could under the circumstances. They are Tech MEN and deserve respect and admiration from all of us who hide behind screen names and such. Some of these people should remember what it was like to be criticized unfairly when doing your best with what the good Lord gave you. Look, I whine and complain as much as any fan but let's be reasonable. These young men are not professionals, the vast majority of them are not going to become millionaires by playing pro ball so we should cut thejm a little bit of slack. Now about that crummy offensive line....

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Fans countered Reggie's perceived ineptitude with wins over Auburnx2, and Miami. Tevin could lead the offense on 5 TD drives and still receive harsh criticism bc the defense gave up a lead and he was unsuccessful on a game winning drive

yeah, but he also had some serious bonehead INT's at the end of potential game winning drives too

UGA
VT
FSU

off the top of my head

so lets face it, you are neither as good or as bad as people say. QBs catch alot of crap both ways. Reggie for me was similar to Tevin for GT. Period.

Nesbitt and JT are one level or two above both them.

but I am not making this a QB debate. I would love to have tevin, reggie both back at Tech as GA's teaching our kids etc...its good for the program.

and for those that don't know reggie, i suggest you do before you blast him. He is a smart kid and an advocate for this school, and has shown more class post eligibility than most fans.

slugboy

Staff member
yeah, but he also had some serious bonehead INT's at the end of potential game winning drives too

UGA
VT
FSU

off the top of my head

so lets face it, you are neither as good or as bad as people say. QBs catch alot of crap both ways. Reggie for me was similar to Tevin for GT. Period.

Nesbitt and JT are one level or two above both them.

but I am not making this a QB debate. I would love to have tevin, reggie both back at Tech as GA's teaching our kids etc...its good for the program.

and for those that don't know reggie, i suggest you do before you blast him. He is a smart kid and an advocate for this school, and has shown more class post eligibility than most fans.

As fans, we get hung up on mistakes in the last 5-10 minutes of the game, but mistakes in the other 50 minutes don't hurt any less. 7 points add up the same no matter when they happen. It's hard to tell how many AVOIDED missed assignments or blown tackles would have meant that Reggie or Tevin were running out the clock in the 4th quarter instead of trying to come from behind. And then, we'd remember them differently even though they'd be exactly the same people.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here's the thing, playing and coaching are two totally different things. Just because you can do doesn't mean you can teach. And typically, the more naturally gifted athletes tend to make the worst coaches/teachers. I think it's because things just come so easily to them they never had to break it down before.

Guys who were journeymen or lifetime bench warmers typically make better coaches. Hmmmm......

Again, I'm thrilled to have Tevin back on the sideline/practice field and in the film room. He's also a great asset for mentoring guys with off the field issues because he's walked in their shoes.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
As a coach I think Tevin is an asset.

As a player I felt he was effective at running the offense but struggled at times in the passing game. Still a great player though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
No lol heavens-no... GT fanbase's favorite whipping boy is Reggie Ball hands down! Speaking of which. can somebody please put together a "highlight reel" of Ball's 4-years of ineptitude and post it on YouTube? This historically-bad career must be memorialized for future generations to appreciate.

Cmon man, Ball was never as bad as folks made him out to be. Like another poster said, his problem was trying to do too much.

I jumped for joy after reading the original post.

Pic or it didn't happen. ;)

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Tevin's a real cool dude..
Very laid back guy.
I hope he'll be able to get some of his ideas on the O onto the field.