Here's a COVID thread for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

I don’t see a problem with this and am surprised others do. I can easily see certain industries such as cruising (who had such a bad start with COVID) being extra cautious and requiring vaccination. In fact, I think it’s logical. So, why not have an electronic form of vaccination certificate which is easy to show as proof? Same with international air travel. In case you haven’t noticed, Europe is having major problems still and some countries are still locked down. Flying there will almost certainly require a negative COVID test or a certificate of vaccination.

i don’t think this has anything to do with showing your local pizza joint that you’re ‘clean’. Calm down folks.

I don’t see a problem with this and am surprised others do. I can easily see certain industries such as cruising (who had such a bad start with COVID) being extra cautious and requiring vaccination. In fact, I think it’s logical. So, why not have an electronic form of vaccination certificate which is easy to show as proof? Same with international air travel. In case you haven’t noticed, Europe is having major problems still and some countries are still locked down. Flying there will almost certainly require a negative COVID test or a certificate of vaccination.

i don’t think this has anything to do with showing your local pizza joint that you’re ‘clean’. Calm down folks.

They will be discriminating against people who do not want to inject themselves with something that the FDA is not willing to give approval on yet? What will businesses be able to discriminate against next?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
They will be discriminating against people who do not want to inject themselves with something that the FDA is not willing to give approval on yet? What will businesses be able to discriminate against next?
You don’t get a choice in what foreign governments will require for international travel (cruises and air travel). They do.

And vice versa.

Deleted member 2897

Hey, I haven't checked the latest COVID thread in the lounge in a while. Maybe these guys learned their lesson and it won't be nothing but political propaganda this time. Opens thread:
PLTZJRh.gif

I’m starting to connect the dots. Some people must think something is political propaganda when it’s something they don’t agree with. I just scrolled back through the last couple pages and only see 1 or 2 posts that could be considered political. One mentions the President by name, but it’s with regard to requiring vaccine passports. How is that propaganda? How is that topic not relevant to this thread?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I’m starting to connect the dots. Some people must think something is political propaganda when it’s something they don’t agree with. I just scrolled back through the last couple pages and only see 1 or 2 posts that could be considered political. One mentions the President by name, but it’s with regard to requiring vaccine passports. How is that propaganda? How is that topic not relevant to this thread?
The following happened in those two pages:

- More lab conspiracy theories based on no actual additional news to support it.
- Discussion of dropping a nuke on China because of that conspiracy theory.
- One person questioned whether someone who got the vaccine actually got it. I guess a government mistrust thing?
- Unrelenting hatred of the CDC, WHO, and any public health expert who has been on TV in the last year.
- A couple of random shots at the racist implications of voter ID laws.
- A random off topic shot at single payer healthcare.

None of those seem a little political to you?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

- More lab conspiracy theories based on no actual additional news to support it.
- One person questioned whether someone who got the vaccine actually got it. I guess a government mistrust thing?
- Unrelenting hatred of the CDC, WHO, and any public health expert who has been on TV in the last year.

I think the question about my vaccine was a pun.

I do think there are other posts that have been pushing into political ideas. I think the thread has devolved into Twitter territory: i.e. instead of articulating a reasoned position, use a limited number of characters to denigrate someone/organization who you disagree with politically.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Are you positive?
I did post in January that my daughter and I both had symptoms and both of our doctors told us that they believed we probably had COVID. We both tested negative with the rapid and the PCR test. I donated blood a couple of weeks ago and the antibody test was also negative, so it is pretty safe to conclude that I did not have COVID in January. My daughter and I both had some kind of viral infection, but it wasn't COVID. My daughter was also tested for flu, so it wasn't flu. Some other random viral infection.

GT_EE78

Banned
I did post in January that my daughter and I both had symptoms and both of our doctors told us that they believed we probably had COVID. We both tested negative with the rapid and the PCR test. I donated blood a couple of weeks ago and the antibody test was also negative, so it is pretty safe to conclude that I did not have COVID in January. My daughter and I both had some kind of viral infection, but it wasn't COVID. My daughter was also tested for flu, so it wasn't flu. Some other random viral infection.
(pun intended)_Hope you are both well and healthy but what i meant was how do u know they didn't slip you an Astro Zenica or other?
Did you get to see the packaging to know the manufacturer?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
(pun intended)_Hope you are both well and healthy but what i meant was how do u know they didn't slip you an Astro Zenica or other?
Did you get to see the packaging to know the manufacturer?
Yes, they had a pretty good system set up at MBS. (They were having computer issues on Saturday and it took about 2.5 hours, but the doctor said normally it took about 30 minutes.) I had to show my appointment to enter. I then was given an arm band to distinguish which dose and whether I was in a special group such as teachers(I wasn't). I then spoke to a volunteer who filled out my vaccine card. I was then given a number card, and waited in the stands until my number was called. In the vaccination area, they had tables set up. The doctor that attended to me was a Emory internist. The doctor next to him was an Emory virologist. I sat down and a lady scanned my appointment bar code with a tablet. He asked me a couple of health questions and explained that they were going to inject the Pfizer vaccine and that I should get the second dose on 4/17. There was a group of nurses who were extracting the vaccine into syringes behind where I was sitting. The lady with the tablet (not sure if she was a nurse) brought a syringe to the doctor and he injected it in my arm. He then signed the vaccination form, and I went to the waiting area to wait 15 minutes before leaving. There were other tables with other doctors, some from different organizations. The last table had about 15 military doctors in uniform.

I guess they could have gotten vials with only water in them and put Pfizer labels on them to trick everyone, but I don't see what the point of that would be.

Deleted member 2897

The CDC Director said on the national news he thought the virus came from the lab. That's not exactly 'no actual news to support it'. But either way, no discussion of politics therein.

Unrelenting hatred and distrust of CDC and WHO. Well they deserve it. But either way, no discussion of politics therein.

IIRC, the voter ID law was the analogy to vaccines - how can we not ask for an ID to vote but we do for entry into a store. But either way, no discussion of politics therein. I mean, you and I can certainly disagree with what other people say, but that doesn't make it against the site rules necessarily.

You must be one of those people who think in political terms with everything. I mean, nothing wrong with that. But I don't see anything here that violates the rules. Nobody was being rude or angry to other members, or disrespectful. No discussion of political leaders or political parties or political ideologies.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The CDC Director said on the national news he thought the virus came from the lab. That's not exactly 'no actual news to support it'. But either way, no discussion of politics therein.

Unrelenting hatred and distrust of CDC and WHO. Well they deserve it. But either way, no discussion of politics therein.

IIRC, the voter ID law was the analogy to vaccines - how can we not ask for an ID to vote but we do for entry into a store. But either way, no discussion of politics therein. I mean, you and I can certainly disagree with what other people say, but that doesn't make it against the site rules necessarily.

You must be one of those people who think in political terms with everything. I mean, nothing wrong with that. But I don't see anything here that violates the rules. Nobody was being rude or angry to other members, or disrespectful. No discussion of political leaders or political parties or political ideologies.
I don't insert politics into everything. I do insert it into voter ID laws, healthcare law, nuclear war, extreme government mistrust, and conspiracy theories that are obviously aimed at foreign actors. Those are all pretty blatantly political. Whether it violates the rules of the site, ill let others decide. It just becomes a little unreadable when actual news about something like vaccine passports which every major country is working on gets immediately twisted into mocking those who question the racist undertones of some voter ID laws, a completely unrelated and highly political issue.

Deleted member 2897

I don't insert politics into everything. I do insert it into voter ID laws, healthcare law, nuclear war, extreme government mistrust, and conspiracy theories that are obviously aimed at foreign actors. Those are all pretty blatantly political. Whether it violates the rules of the site, ill let others decide. It just becomes a little unreadable when actual news about something like vaccine passports which every major country is working on gets immediately twisted into mocking those who question the racist undertones of some voter ID laws, a completely unrelated and highly political issue.

Fair enough.

You personally may insert politics into covid, vaccines, requirements of vaccines, source of the covid virus, and so on, but clearly many people here don't. Not sure what to tell you here. This perspective doesn't make you wrong or unreasonable, just different. Maybe just don't follow the thread or put particular people on ignore.

We have to try and find the humor in things where we can. Requiring vaccines when the FDA hasn't even approved a vaccine seems a little bit aggressive to some of us. Its just different ways of thinking.

GT_EE78

Banned
it's refreshing to learn that gender politics (which took over a bb thread for a few days)
is no longer considered political... hmmm

GT_EE78

Banned
Yes, they had a pretty good system set up at MBS. (They were having computer issues on Saturday and it took about 2.5 hours, but the doctor said normally it took about 30 minutes.) I had to show my appointment to enter. I then was given an arm band to distinguish which dose and whether I was in a special group such as teachers(I wasn't). I then spoke to a volunteer who filled out my vaccine card. I was then given a number card, and waited in the stands until my number was called. In the vaccination area, they had tables set up. The doctor that attended to me was a Emory internist. The doctor next to him was an Emory virologist. I sat down and a lady scanned my appointment bar code with a tablet. He asked me a couple of health questions and explained that they were going to inject the Pfizer vaccine and that I should get the second dose on 4/17. There was a group of nurses who were extracting the vaccine into syringes behind where I was sitting. The lady with the tablet (not sure if she was a nurse) brought a syringe to the doctor and he injected it in my arm. He then signed the vaccination form, and I went to the waiting area to wait 15 minutes before leaving. There were other tables with other doctors, some from different organizations. The last table had about 15 military doctors in uniform.

I guess they could have gotten vials with only water in them and put Pfizer labels on them to trick everyone, but I don't see what the point of that would be.
sounds like you didn't have the option to choose a preferred manufacturer. I'm hoping to have that option when i get around to this

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
sounds like you didn't have the option to choose a preferred manufacturer. I'm hoping to have that option when i get around to this
I believe that during the appointment sign up process on the Georgia DPH website, there were options but I don't remember exactly. I think some sites had appointment times for Pfizer and some for Moderna as separate appointment selections. So I think you will have some choice in which vaccine to get, but it won't be as simple as making any appointment and then making a selection on the fly at the location. If you have a preferred vaccine, you will have to find a location, or a subset appointment at a location that does multiple, that offers the one you want.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Fair enough.

You personally may insert politics into covid, vaccines, requirements of vaccines, source of the covid virus, and so on, but clearly many people here don't. Not sure what to tell you here. This perspective doesn't make you wrong or unreasonable, just different. Maybe just don't follow the thread or put particular people on ignore.

We have to try and find the humor in things where we can. Requiring vaccines when the FDA hasn't even approved a vaccine seems a little bit aggressive to some of us. Its just different ways of thinking.
Getting away from the political stuff. For the Vaccine Passport, MWBATL pretty much nailed it above. It is mostly driven by international travel which is currently crippled because of entry requirements for passengers. Nearly every country is working on this. I doubt it will ever be used for much locally here in the States. Israel is the only country I have even heard of that is using it for day to day life, but they certainly have a more welcoming culture for something like that than we do.

Deleted member 2897

Getting away from the political stuff. For the Vaccine Passport, MWBATL pretty much nailed it above. It is mostly driven by international travel which is currently crippled because of entry requirements for passengers. Nearly every country is working on this. I doubt it will ever be used for much locally here in the States. Israel is the only country I have even heard of that is using it for day to day life, but they certainly have a more welcoming culture for something like that than we do.

We require vaccines for lots of things today (like attending K12 schools, college, some travel, etc.), so the notion of doing it for something that we just are turning the corner on that was a global pandemic isn't unreasonable. I just don't see how they can institute something like this in the next year, and by then it won't matter. We don't have FDA approval, and a third of the country isn't eligible. By the time the FDA approves something formally, probably 75% of the country that is eligible for the vaccine will have already had it anyway. And if that's the case, the number of cases and hospitalizations will be down probably below the flu level. I guess we will see, a lot of speculation on my part.

Deleted member 2897

I found this chart on the CDC website of growth/existence by variant interesting.

The B.1.429 variant is the one from South Africa. It is indeed growing, but not nearly as fast as the B.1.1.7, which is what they call the UK variant. That one has exploded and now accounts for 25% of all positive cases.

I think the B.1 and B.1.2 are the more original forms of covid that have been around for awhile, and as you can see are tailing off.

The B.1.1.222 is a Mexican variant which came out of nowhere in the last couple months, likely due in part to around 300,000 border apprehensions so far this year - the vast majority of those people are released into the country.

B.1.526 is the New York City variant. It came out of nowhere, but has tailed off its growth in recent weeks.

variants-large.jpg

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We require vaccines for lots of things today (like attending K12 schools, college, some travel, etc.), so the notion of doing it for something that we just are turning the corner on that was a global pandemic isn't unreasonable. I just don't see how they can institute something like this in the next year, and by then it won't matter. We don't have FDA approval, and a third of the country isn't eligible. By the time the FDA approves something formally, probably 75% of the country that is eligible for the vaccine will have already had it anyway. And if that's the case, the number of cases and hospitalizations will be down probably below the flu level. I guess we will see, a lot of speculation on my part.
I think it is being misunderstood. A Vaccine passport does not REQUIRE you to do anything. It simply means that if another country requires you to be vaccinated to travel on their airlines or cruise ships or ports of entry, that you have an easy document which they will recognize as valid for that purpose. It is not always true that @WreckinGT and I agree, but on this topic we agree fully. This is a help to American citizens who WANT or MUST travel abroad.

Status
Not open for further replies.