Here's a COVID thread for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I have heard more people on TV say that those who have caught the virus do not need to get the vaccine than those saying they do need it.

I'm not a doctor by any stretch, but getting the vaccine could potentially do more harm than good to most people who have recovered from the virus (and developed natural antibodies). Only time will tell once we have enough data on those who receive the vaccine after recovering from Covid.

Deleted member 2897

I'm not a doctor by any stretch, but getting the vaccine could potentially do more harm than good to most people who have recovered from the virus (and developed natural antibodies). Only time will tell once we have enough data on those who receive the vaccine after recovering from Covid.

Most of the experts in this field I've read recommend getting 1 shot and only 1 shot. The reasoning was that most people that got covid were asymptomatic and got mild versions of it...and/or it was a very long time ago. So people do have some level of antibodies, but highly likely they are not maxxed out. There are studies that show that getting 1 shot maximizes your level of antibodies in the people who had it before. Getting a 2nd shot can cause problems in your body. This is me going from memory, not being a doctor - so use google and talk to a doctor. But that's what I've seen and read the most.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This just gets back to the core problem we have had during the whole pandemic. Some care only about themselves and their health while others are trying to solve a larger problem together. The goal of the weak guy, which is representing many people is not to have individual immunity.
I have been vaccinated. I do not feel anything dragging me down. I don't care if other people get vaccinated or not. If a person does not get vaccinated and dies from COVID, then that is their decision and it is all on that person. Why should I be bothered by what other people do or don't do if it has no affect on me?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I have been vaccinated. I do not feel anything dragging me down. I don't care if other people get vaccinated or not. If a person does not get vaccinated and dies from COVID, then that is their decision and it is all on that person. Why should I be bothered by what other people do or don't do if it has no affect on me?
Because if others don't get vaccinated then nothing really slows down, people continue to die, you would still be required to wear a mask everywhere you go, your kids would likely keep doing virtual learning, Bobby Dodd stadium would remain at 25% capacity, etc. There are societal impacts from large numbers of people getting vaccines that you don't get from your own personal shot. You did your part, but if others don't do their part then there is a cost to you and everyone around you.

Deleted member 2897

Because if others don't get vaccinated then nothing really slows down, people continue to die, you would still be required to wear a mask everywhere you go, your kids would likely keep doing virtual learning, Bobby Dodd stadium would remain at 25% capacity, etc. There are societal impacts from large numbers of people getting vaccines that you don't get from your own personal shot. You did your part, but if others don't do their part then there is a cost to you and everyone around you.

You realize none of this is happening, correct? We're closing in on 300 million shots having been delivered. And we have somewhere between 80-100 million people have immunity from having had covid. The daily cases continue to collapse - yesterday was the single lowest case count (16k) and single lowest death (270) since the pandemic began. There is nothing going on in the real world that should make people worried like that.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
No there isn't.

Why would I still be required to wear a mask? The science says I don't need to. Don't we want to follow actual science?

My daughter has been doing in school learning all year, so she will not "keep doing" virtual learning.

Bobby Dodd has already announced 100% capacity, and I highly suspect masks will not be required.

As I stated before, even if there are full sports arenas with many people who were not vaccinated and some percentage of those people die, it isn't my fault. It isn't the fault of the sports arena or team. It is all on the people who made a conscious decision to not get vaccinated. I have no responsibility to "protect" them, and I am not going to actively try to protect them.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
30% of people have been vaccinated and we are already seeing the positive results. Schools in my area have 100% school employees who wanted the vaccine have received it. The middle and high schools are going to be administering to the kids whose parents consent.

That comic was me pre-vaccine. I was staying home, staying away, wearing a mask. Now? I've cut that chain and that fat *** can do whatever he wants. Don't want the vaccine, fine, that's your risk. But unlike before - you can't really affect my health anymore.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
No there isn't.

Why would I still be required to wear a mask? The science says I don't need to. Don't we want to follow actual science?

My daughter has been doing in school learning all year, so she will not "keep doing" virtual learning.

Bobby Dodd has already announced 100% capacity, and I highly suspect masks will not be required.

As I stated before, even if there are full sports arenas with many people who were not vaccinated and some percentage of those people die, it isn't my fault. It isn't the fault of the sports arena or team. It is all on the people who made a conscious decision to not get vaccinated. I have no responsibility to "protect" them, and I am not going to actively try to protect them.
Yes, all of these things happened in spite of the anti vaxxers. What you are really saying is that you support everyone having the right to make their own decision as long as enough people get vaccinated that it doesn't inconvenience your life. Let's say only 10% of people got vaccinated and nothing in society changed at all and we all just braced for the next massive wave during flu season, while football games were being cancelled every week. Would you think differently?

The point of the comic is exactly what we are discussing. Those who are getting the vaccine are dragging anti vaxxers back to some kind of normalcy while they b**** and moan about everything like they always do.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes, all of these things happened in spite of the anti vaxxers. What you are really saying is that you support everyone having the right to make their own decision as long as enough people get vaccinated that it doesn't inconvenience your life. Let's say only 10% of people got vaccinated and nothing in society changed at all and we all just braced for the next massive wave during flu season, while football games were being cancelled every week. Would you think differently?

The point of the comic is exactly what we are discussing. Those who are getting the vaccine are dragging anti vaxxers back to some kind of normalcy while they b**** and moan about everything like they always do.
Those who are not getting the vaccine are not delaying anything. "Let's say only 10% of people get vaccinated". We have been well passed that mark for a long time. What about, let's say that we travel back in time and COVID never happened? That is just as valid as your remark.

We are well past 10% being vaccinated. Anyone who wants to get vaccinated can get vaccinated. Those who don't want to might die. I have a libertarian outlook on most things, so frankly I don't care if they die from COVID. It is their decision. It isn't going to stop me from doing anything I want to do, and it shouldn't stop anyone from doing whatever they want to do. If large events cause large numbers of people opposed to the vaccine to die, then those remaining will either get the vaccine or make a conscious decision to continue to take their chances. There is absolutely no reason to keep anything restricted anymore.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Those who are not getting the vaccine are not delaying anything. "Let's say only 10% of people get vaccinated". We have been well passed that mark for a long time. What about, let's say that we travel back in time and COVID never happened? That is just as valid as your remark.

We are well past 10% being vaccinated. Anyone who wants to get vaccinated can get vaccinated. Those who don't want to might die. I have a libertarian outlook on most things, so frankly I don't care if they die from COVID. It is their decision. It isn't going to stop me from doing anything I want to do, and it shouldn't stop anyone from doing whatever they want to do. If large events cause large numbers of people opposed to the vaccine to die, then those remaining will either get the vaccine or make a conscious decision to continue to take their chances. There is absolutely no reason to keep anything restricted anymore.
Again, you are just proving that your opinion that everyone can choose for themselves is based on the fact that many already chose to do the right thing. If you truly believe that it is a personal decision above anything else then you would have also been ok with very few people getting vaccinated and little to no change in the way things were going.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Again, you are just proving that your opinion that everyone can choose for themselves is based on the fact that many already chose to do the right thing. If you truly believe that it is a personal decision above anything else then you would have also been ok with very few people getting vaccinated and little to no change in the way things were going.
If the vaccine were available and a large portion of people decided not to get it but I did, I would not spend time nor effort worrying about what happened to the people who did not. However, you are addressing a hypothetical. That is not the actual situation. How I would react to or how I would behave IF very few people were vaccinated is no more important at this moment than what I would be doing if COVID had never happened. Many people HAVE been vaccinated. EVERYONE who wants to be vaccinated CAN be vaccinated. In the real world and the actual situation, there is absolutely no reason to continue restrictions at this point.

Deleted member 2897

All of these fears/worries/complaints you have would have been completely valid like last fall. 100% we need a massive number of people to get vaccinated to defeat this virus and return to normal. Otherwise we would sadly need a couple hundred million people to get covid and another several hundred thousand would likely die. You are on target with all of that.

But luckily for all of us, this isn't an actual problem to worry about anymore. We are kicking this virus' *** right in front of our eyes. We have all the data we need in terms of people who have natural immunity and those who have it from being vaccinated. My parents got vaccinated. My in-laws got vaccinated. My wife got vaccinated. I got vaccinated. My 18 year old daughter got vaccinated. And yesterday my 15 year old son got vaccinated. We are done. And there are tons of other families doing the same thing. With every passing day there are less and less places for the virus to go. Please stop stressing yourself and complaining and worrying about things that aren't true. There are not enough people that you despise who are not getting the shot.

I agree 100% with what you said, although the bolded is a really cold attitude. I guess the flip side would be that those who would like to see full FDA approval before getting the vaccine shouldn't care if you get really sick or die from a new experimental vaccine.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100% with what you said, although the bolded is a really cold attitude. I guess the flip side would be that those who would like to see full FDA approval before getting the vaccine shouldn't care if you get really sick or die from a new experimental vaccine.
It reads more strongly than what I intended to say. There are multiple ways of caring. Sure I would care from an emotional level, especially for people who I am close to. However, there is also an objective level. If a friend were to be hit by a DUI driver and die, I would care on an emotional level and I would by sympathetic from an objective level. That friend was doing nothing wrong and was impacted by another person's decisions. If I had a friend who crashed and died while driving drunk, I would be sympathetic on an emotional level, but I would also recognize that his death was because of his own bad decisions. In the case of the vaccine, I would not try to force someone to get the vaccine, but I would not go completely out of my way to assist them if their own decisions become difficult to live with. Of course with family and friends, I wouldn't treat them differently in the case of COVID than anything else. However, in general I am not going to inconvenience myself because others make decisions that I don't agree with.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Some companies have dropped mask requirements for vaccinated customers. Most haven't. Some cities have mask mandates that override whatever the stores want to do anyways. What the CDC put out is a recommendation. It is going to take time before those recommendations are applied everywhere.
#science!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You people are just so ignorant!

(There, see how it feels?)

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
All of these fears/worries/complaints you have would have been completely valid like last fall. 100% we need a massive number of people to get vaccinated to defeat this virus and return to normal. Otherwise we would sadly need a couple hundred million people to get covid and another several hundred thousand would likely die. You are on target with all of that.

But luckily for all of us, this isn't an actual problem to worry about anymore. We are kicking this virus' *** right in front of our eyes. We have all the data we need in terms of people who have natural immunity and those who have it from being vaccinated. My parents got vaccinated. My in-laws got vaccinated. My wife got vaccinated. I got vaccinated. My 18 year old daughter got vaccinated. And yesterday my 15 year old son got vaccinated. We are done. And there are tons of other families doing the same thing. With every passing day there are less and less places for the virus to go. Please stop stressing yourself and complaining and worrying about things that aren't true. There are not enough people that you despise who are not getting the shot.
Im not stressing myself, I am happy with the momentum we have right now. I am just agreeing with the notion of the comic that some people are absolutely being dragged along in this while they do nothing to help. We are going to beat it without them. That I'm certain of. We still have a good bit of work to do but we will get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.