Here's a COVID thread for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Are we seriously arguing about the accuracy of a satirical comic? I have never even considered the accuracy of such things.

And actually in the case of this comic, it isn't obvious to me which person is being made fun of. Is it the fat old guy who is holding everything up, or is it the weak guy who can't give up on controlling everyone else and wearing a mask even though is is vaccinated and more than 6' away from everyone else outdoors? I think maybe to comic artist was poking fun at everyone.
I don't think the comic is even trying to be comical. It's pretty obvious what it's intended statement is.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the comic is even trying to be comical. It's pretty obvious what it's intended statement is.
I disagree that it is obvious what the intended statement is. It shows one person who won't move forward because he objects to the vaccine. It shows one person who apparently was vaccinated so has nothing to worry about, but he is still wearing a mask and is overly concerned about the actions of others. I don't think either of those people are acting appropriately, so I don't think it is obvious that one guy is right and the other is wrong.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I disagree that it is obvious what the intended statement is. It shows one person who won't move forward because he objects to the vaccine. It shows one person who apparently was vaccinated so has nothing to worry about, but he is still wearing a mask and is overly concerned about the actions of others. I don't think either of those people are acting appropriately, so I don't think it is obvious that one guy is right and the other is wrong.
Ok, ill rephrase that. It's obvious to anyone who isn't desperately trying to see it as something else for some reason. It's a big fat out of shape guy with a red hat on being dragged to a goal everyone should have by someone else. This isn't a complicated comic.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Ok, ill rephrase that. It's obvious to anyone who isn't desperately trying to see it as something else for some reason. It's a big fat out of shape guy with a red hat on being dragged to a goal everyone should have by someone else. This isn't a complicated comic.
I also see a weak person who is immune to the virus but: is wearing a mask outside more than 6' away from other people, and is more concerned about what the big fat out of shape guy is doing than where he himself is at. The weak guy on the ground is already at the goal. He does not have to drag anyone anywhere. He can go anywhere he wants to go and be around anyone, immune or not, and not get the virus. I think that is just as silly as the big fat guy who doesn't want to go to the goals of other people.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I also see a weak person who is immune to the virus but: is wearing a mask outside more than 6' away from other people, and is more concerned about what the big fat out of shape guy is doing than where he himself is at. The weak guy on the ground is already at the goal. He does not have to drag anyone anywhere. He can go anywhere he wants to go and be around anyone, immune or not, and not get the virus. I think that is just as silly as the big fat guy who doesn't want to go to the goals of other people.
This just gets back to the core problem we have had during the whole pandemic. Some care only about themselves and their health while others are trying to solve a larger problem together. The goal of the weak guy, which is representing many people is not to have individual immunity.

Deleted member 2897

This just gets back to the core problem we have had during the whole pandemic. Some care only about themselves and their health while others are trying to solve a larger problem together. The goal of the weak guy, which is representing many people is not to have individual immunity.

And that is scientifically false. Immunity doesn't just come from a vaccine, it also comes from having had covid. There are perhaps (according to many estimates) 80-100 million people who are immune to covid because they've had it (nearly 35 million have tested positive). Why have the numbers collapsed over the last month? Because as many of us on here predicted all along - we are entering herd immunity in many areas of the country. Herd immunity is NOT when 70%-80% of the population get vaccinated. Its when some number remotely in that area are vaccinated OR have had it.

If someone has been vaccinated, they don't need to care at all about whether someone else has been vaccinated or not. The numbers show that more than enough people are getting vaccinated along with those that have had it that we are approaching herd immunity. Many of the people who aren't getting vaccinated that people complain about have already had covid - so they were immune to it before the vaccinated people were.

Deleted member 2897

It's a big fat out of shape guy with a red hat on being dragged to a goal everyone should have by someone else. This isn't a complicated comic.

The guy is too fat to drag. The weight is so heavy its partially in the ground. That effeminate man wearing a mask for no reason can't physically make the fat guy do anything. And he doesn't need to. He doesn't need to be wearing a mask. But he's hopelessly obsessed with trying to do scientifically unnecessary things. In fact, the fat guy probably already achieved immunity before the effeminate guy. But the effeminate guy isn't into science.

I am not going to get into an argument about a silly cartoon and the various meanings that it might have, especially since my overall view would probably be considered heresy by some on here. But I do have one FACT that I would like to pass on. In spite of claims by experts, as well as obvious non-experts, that once infected patients are immune, I have a friend from over near Athens who is in what I would say extremely good physical shape, who has had severe cases of Covid twice within a 12 month period., with the second one being much worse than the first one, which at the time he said was the sickest he has ever been. Is this an anomaly, is the claim of once-infected immunity incorrect, or is there an unspecified time limit on that immunity?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
And that is scientifically false. Immunity doesn't just come from a vaccine, it also comes from having had covid. There are perhaps (according to many estimates) 80-100 million people who are immune to covid because they've had it (nearly 35 million have tested positive). Why have the numbers collapsed over the last month? Because as many of us on here predicted all along - we are entering herd immunity in many areas of the country. Herd immunity is NOT when 70%-80% of the population get vaccinated. Its when some number remotely in that area are vaccinated OR have had it.

If someone has been vaccinated, they don't need to care at all about whether someone else has been vaccinated or not. The numbers show that more than enough people are getting vaccinated along with those that have had it that we are approaching herd immunity. Many of the people who aren't getting vaccinated that people complain about have already had covid - so they were immune to it before the vaccinated people were.
So in your personal expert medical opinion, Georgia has already reached herd immunity with less than 30% of the population fully vaccinated?

Deleted member 2897

So in your personal expert medical opinion, Georgia has already reached herd immunity with less than 30% of the population fully vaccinated?

I will leave that to the medical professionals in Georgia. All I can tell you is the documentation I have seen for the state of South Carolina estimated as of last week we were 66% immune.

Deleted member 2897

I am not going to get into an argument about a silly cartoon and the various meanings that it might have, especially since my overall view would probably be considered heresy by some on here. But I do have one FACT that I would like to pass on. In spite of claims by experts, as well as obvious non-experts, that once infected patients are immune, I have a friend from over near Athens who is in what I would say extremely good physical shape, who has had severe cases of Covid twice within a 12 month period., with the second one being much worse than the first one, which at the time he said was the sickest he has ever been. Is this an anomaly, is the claim of once-infected immunity incorrect, or is there an unspecified time limit on that immunity?

The vaccine is not 100% effective. Peoples immune system‘s are like fingerprints and they are all different. There will always be people who can get Covid twice or who can pass the virus even though they’ve been vaccinated, and examples like that. But the numbers of those examples are infinitesimally small

The vaccine is not 100% effective. Peoples immune system‘s are like fingerprints and they are all different. There will always be people who can get Covid twice or who can pass the virus even though they’ve been vaccinated, and examples like that. But the numbers of those examples are infinitesimally small
The vaccine was not available before his first bout with it, and he didn't get the vaccine once it became available because he was told that having suffered once, he was immune. So somebody is wrong somewhere.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The guy is too fat to drag. The weight is so heavy its partially in the ground. That effeminate man wearing a mask for no reason can't physically make the fat guy do anything. And he doesn't need to. He doesn't need to be wearing a mask. But he's hopelessly obsessed with trying to do scientifically unnecessary things. In fact, the fat guy probably already achieved immunity before the effeminate guy. But the effeminate guy isn't into science.
So you can't figure out what the comic is saying either? Do people's personal feelings really cloud their ability to see reality this much? You can disagree with the message all that you want. The comic is making a very clear statement. I can't figure out if this is a case of over thinking things or just willful ignorance.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Unlike the data with the vaccines, I don't know that any good data has come out about immunity due to previous infections. I think they are still recommending those who have caught the virus to still get hteir vaccine.

GT_EE78

Banned
Are we seriously arguing about the accuracy of a satirical comic? I have never even considered the accuracy of such things.

And actually in the case of this comic, it isn't obvious to me which person is being made fun of. Is it the fat old guy who is holding everything up, or is it the weak guy who can't give up on controlling everyone else and wearing a mask even though is is vaccinated and more than 6' away from everyone else outdoors? I think maybe to comic artist was poking fun at everyone.
don't we also discuss the accuracy of comics like Fauci and the CDC?

Deleted member 2897

So you can't figure out what the comic is saying either? Do people's personal feelings really cloud their ability to see reality this much? You can disagree with the message all that you want. The comic is making a very clear statement. I can't figure out if this is a case of over thinking things or just willful ignorance.

My comment is satirical, just like the comic. Only in the case of the comic, the author is probably having the opposite of the desired effect he intended.

Deleted member 2897

Unlike the data with the vaccines, I don't know that any good data has come out about immunity due to previous infections. I think they are still recommending those who have caught the virus to still get hteir vaccine.

I guess he didn't read my post. There is no such thing as 100% in this area. There will always be people who get vaccinated who pick up and spread the disease. There will always be people who get covid more than once. Its just that those people are an infinitesimally small number.

From what I have read, they 100% recommend previously infected people still get the vaccine, because in studies 1 shot has shown to max out their antibodies and memory B cells or whatever they're called. The only thing different I've read is that many doctors don't recommend a 2nd shot - since people who have had it will be maxxed out at 1, getting a 2nd shot can actually cause problems. But I haven't researched any further into what they mean by that.

Actually, I have heard more people on TV say that those who have caught the virus do not need to get the vaccine than those saying they do need it.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Actually, I have heard more people on TV say that those who have caught the virus do not need to get the vaccine than those saying they do need it.
Immunity from infection has always been regarded as hypothetical and unknown in duration.

I’ve had coronavirus. Do I still need the vaccine?​

If you have had COVID-19 then your body may have built up some natural immunity to the virus, however we don’t know how long this immunity lasts or if it fully protects you from catching COVID-19 again. It is likely that natural immunity won’t last as long as the immunity given to you by a vaccine, and there is no way of knowing if you have any protection. So, it is still very important to take up the offer of a COVID-19 vaccine when it becomes available to you.
Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19. Even if you have already recovered from COVID-19, it is possible—although rare—that you could be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 again. Learn more about why getting vaccinated is a safer way to build protection than getting infected.

If you were treated for COVID-19 with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma, you should wait 90 days before getting a COVID-19 vaccine. Talk to your doctor if you are unsure what treatments you received or if you have more questions about getting a COVID-19 vaccine.

Experts are still learning more about how long vaccines protect against COVID-19 in real-world conditions. CDC will keep the public informed as new evidence becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.