Here's a COVID thread for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 2897

Washington and Oregon are gaining on Florida. We could have a scary few months if things don't change.

I hope things don’t change. The numbers are collapsing. There will be pockets like those where people aren’t getting vaccinated, but there are states now passing 70% vaccinations. And that doesn’t include those who are immune because they had Covid. More and more states are entering herd immunity. Our star flagship teaching/research hospital said South Carolina passed 65% like 2 weeks ago. We are cooking with gas.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I hope things don’t change. The numbers are collapsing. There will be pockets like those where people aren’t getting vaccinated, but there are states now passing 70% vaccinations. And that doesn’t include those who are immune because they had Covid. More and more states are entering herd immunity. Our star flagship teaching/research hospital said South Carolina passed 65% like 2 weeks ago. We are cooking with gas.
I hope you are right. Fingers crossed.

Deleted member 2897

I hope you are right. Fingers crossed.

I just looked up Washington and Oregon - both peaked a couple weeks ago. So hopefully they'll keep the trend moving down now. Florida peaked a month ago. They're just running high. I mean that one state is frequently like 1/10th of the entire country's deaths.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just looked up Washington and Oregon - both peaked a couple weeks ago. So hopefully they'll keep the trend moving down now. Florida peaked a month ago. They're just running high. I mean that one state is frequently like 1/10th of the entire country's deaths.
I listened today to an interview on NPR with an Oregon doctor. He was not as optimistic as you seem. Hopefully he is just a pessimistic guy. He said that unvaccinated people are acting as if they were immune now that everything is opening up. 100% of the new patients at Oregon hospitals are unvaccinated.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I scratch my head at people who are reluctant to get vaccinated, but each of us have our own risk tolerance and what we believe. I hope that those that do choose not to be vaccinated stay healthy. I'm confident that the vast majority of those who are vaccinated will.

Milwaukee

Banned
I scratch my head at people who are reluctant to get vaccinated, but each of us have our own risk tolerance and what we believe. I hope that those that do choose not to be vaccinated stay healthy. I'm confident that the vast majority of those who are vaccinated will.
And millions of us regular people scratch our head at young healthy people running to go get vaxxed. If you’re obese or old then yea go get vaxxed. Stop ignoring the science is what I tell everyone.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
And millions of us regular people scratch our head at young healthy people running to go get vaxxed. If you’re obese or old then yea go get vaxxed. Stop ignoring the science is what I tell everyone.
I have two 12-year-olds on my street that got infected and developed Dis-C. One of them nearly died and has enlarged organs still. Yes, the percentages are low, but, you know what? I'm going to error on the side of caution and go with getting my 12-year-old twins vaccinated. Others can do what they want, but I'd rather their chance of getting really sick be the lowest it could be. That's not ignoring science. Young healthy people get sick, some die. The numbers aren't high, but I have no interest in one of those kids being mine.

Everyone lowers their risk by being vaccinated. That's my opinion based on the science I've read; your opinion may be different, and you're entitled to it. Just don't ridicule others because you don't agree with them.

Now, on a completely different note, I'm interested in more data on the necessity of the second shot for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. One of the clips above was the first I'd heard that it may not be necessary for a full immune response.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Now, on a completely different note, I'm interested in more data on the necessity of the second shot for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. One of the clips above was the first I'd heard that it may not be necessary for a full immune response.
I think the statement you are referring to was that an already infected person doesn't need a second shot. I don't think he was referring to a person who has never had COVID needing a second shot. He also made a statement that a previously infected person develops the same levels of antibodies four days after either a vaccination shot or a re-infection. I haven't read the studies he was referring to and do not know how true the statements are. It seems he was questioning whether a person who has already been infected even needed a vaccine at all.

I also thought his comments about frustration were extremely accurate. He reminded the group that during the AIDS "crisis" in the 80s that medical advice was tailored to the situation. Gay men were told that if they were going to have sex that they should use condoms to protect themselves. The "medical" advice currently would be the equivalent of telling everyone in the 80s to not even think about sex, even if you are married and monogamous. Just a couple of weeks ago the CDC announced that fully vaccinated people do not have to wear a mask while walking outdoors alone. I have never even considered that I should have worn a mask when alone and outdoors, not even during March/April of 2020. Even normally liberal leaning publications like the LA Times and NYT are pointing out that the current guidance makes no sense.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That is obviously YOUR opinion. Most of us see that Fauci is the one who looks like a moron, or worse. In fact, in this case, his obvious lies reveal him to be nothing less than a traitor.
We all obviously have our own opinions but what do you think Rand really accomplished there? He barks out some obscure accusation that he obviously doesn't have all of the details about and Fauci tells him he is completely wrong. He then reiterates the same point and Fauci again tells him he is wrong. He does this several more times until his time runs out. I guess he was trying to convince the TV audience that Fauci personally funded the creation of COVID in a lab in Wuhan. Im sure everyone believes that actually happened.

We all obviously have our own opinions but what do you think Rand really accomplished there? He barks out some obscure accusation that he obviously doesn't have all of the details about and Fauci tells him he is completely wrong. He then reiterates the same point and Fauci again tells him he is wrong. He does this several more times until his time runs out. I guess he was trying to convince the TV audience that Fauci personally funded the creation of COVID in a lab in Wuhan. Im sure everyone believes that actually happened.
I suggest that instead of offering your personal, apparently uneducated opinions, you read the May 2 article by long-time NY Times Science Writer Richard Wade concerning the origins of the Covid virus. He says that he will not offer any conclusion of his own but merely present the facts as currently known. There are 2 theories of origin, and he discusses both thoroughly. Included in his discussion of the lab-originated virus, he mentions every thing that Rand Paul asked about yesterday, such as Fauci's personal involvement, NIH funding, and coverup. In response to hearing these questions for apparently the first time in a public setting, Fauci got angry and highly defensive and, based on fact available, flat-out lied on multiple occasions. So don't try to say that what Rand Paul was saying was obscure, because, though not proven (according to Wade), there are definitely FACTS available that make his questions and accusations not only plausible, but probable. If you would like to know the truth as known today about both theories of origin, then educate yourself by reading Wade's highly informative and knowledgeable column. It is very long (a 43 minute read), but if you read it then you might understand more and not rely on typical uneducated and biased talking points. https://nicholaswade.medium.com/origin-of-covid-following-the-clues-6f03564c038

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm tired of seeing the goalposts moved for the herd immunity threshold. There was a New York Times article last week saying that it was unlikely the U.S. would get to herd immunity which makes little sense to me. Here is another Medium story in their science publication, Elemental, that I think offers a better explanation for the herd immunity concept.

Deleted member 2897

I'm tired of seeing the goalposts moved for the herd immunity threshold. There was a New York Times article last week saying that it was unlikely the U.S. would get to herd immunity which makes little sense to me. Here is another Medium story in their science publication, Elemental, that I think offers a better explanation for the herd immunity concept.

Dr Fauci is on record stating he gave false levels of what would lead to herd immunity, because he felt like the real number was so high it might dissuade people from getting the vaccine. I don’t even know how someone in his position can think like that. As you stated, most people incorrectly only include vaccinations in their calculations of herd immunity.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I'm having a hard time finding that data. I hate being one of 'those guys' asking for you to cite the info... and I'm sure you're correct, I'm just genuinely interested to see how all the states line up.

Deleted member 2897

I'm having a hard time finding that data. I hate being one of 'those guys' asking for you to cite the info... and I'm sure you're correct, I'm just genuinely interested to see how all the states line up.

Its okay. Here's Connecticut:

The challenge with the data is that most states list total population and not adults. But most children aren't eligible for the vaccine. So if you add 25% (population of children) to all these numbers, you'll see how close we are to having 70% of everyone eligible vaccinated.

The other other thing is that none of these lists include those who have had covid but who haven't been vaccinated. Some estimates are that 1/3rd of the country has had covid. I don't know how many of those have been vaccinated - many doctors say its actually unhealthy and a risk to get the 2 shot regimen if you've already had covid. So I don't know, but maybe add another 15%-20% on top of these numbers to account for others that have immunity too.

You'll notice South Carolina is listed at 30% of total population is vaccinated. MUSC released an article estimating we're at 66% immunity right now in the state. So there's a lot more to it than what the media posts and just the surface shot numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 2897

To hell with Fauci!

He recently said it could be towards the end of summer before we start seeing full stadiums again.

Baseball fans the first week of April: GO POUND SAND:

Dr. Fauci then calls that full stadium concerning. The rest of sports then says: GO KICK ROCKS.

Cases continue to plunge, not spike, in contradiction to their predictions.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Dr Fauci is on record stating he gave false levels of what would lead to herd immunity, because he felt like the real number was so high it might dissuade people from getting the vaccine. I don’t even know how someone in his position can think like that. As you stated, most people incorrectly only include vaccinations in their calculations of herd immunity.
You seriously underestimate the mentality of the ruling elite. They often feel obligated to lie to the unwashed masses for the good of the masses, since they know so much better how the rest of us should behave. This mentality is particularly true amongst those educated in Ivy League and who remain in the echo chamber of the liberal northeast (which runs down to DC).

Status
Not open for further replies.