Here's a COVID thread for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I need to post a revision to my characterization of the CDC‘s recent prediction that cases will continue to collapse by July. I just read a more detailed summary. Apparently, they are still predicting that cases will spike between now and then. LOL. They still have that impending sense of doom week after week after week while cases fall and fall and fall.

Maybe they are using one of those Global Warming Modeling Engineers to help with their projections.
(Yes Global Warming is real, But the Shock factor Global Warming modelers are idiots. They are never even close each time you see their 2-4 year old projections. Its comedic)

Deleted member 2897

Study estimates true United States covid deaths are over 900,000. I thought about putting this into the Funny thread. We can look at excess deaths, assume all those are from covid, AND throw hundreds of thousands of other deaths, and still not hit that number. These people are idiots, LOL.

I'm going from memory, but the last time I looked around the end of the year, excess deaths were somewhere around 400,000 - which was also extremely close (within a % or a couple % IIRC) of actual reported covid deaths. So where are 500,000 more people dying of covid that apparently somehow nobody is aware of? LOLOLOLOLOL

GT_EE78

Banned
Study estimates true United States covid deaths are over 900,000. I thought about putting this into the Funny thread. We can look at excess deaths, assume all those are from covid, AND throw hundreds of thousands of other deaths, and still not hit that number. These people are idiots, LOL.

I'm going from memory, but the last time I looked around the end of the year, excess deaths were somewhere around 400,000 - which was also extremely close (within a % or a couple % IIRC) of actual reported covid deaths. So where are 500,000 more people dying of covid that apparently somehow nobody is aware of? LOLOLOLOLOL

x 6%

Deleted member 2897

All time new low daily death record yesterday (240), and total new cases nationwide was 21k, also a record going back to when when had our first shutdown at the start. We’re not spiking, we’re absolutely crushing this B.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 2897

While the article is a bit of a complaint against the CDC on a particular data keeping topic, what I took out of this article is our current death rate over the first 6 months since vaccinations. At 132 people out of approximately 100 million vaccinated, that compares very favorably to roughly 600,000 dead out of 330 million residents. Using those rough, rounded numbers, the death rate in the general population of those vaccinated is about 1/2000th.

Also, peeking in on the weekly death numbers, and recognizing there is a lag on death counts, we're now over 2 months strong on weekly total deaths being below the total expected number. That expected number is inflated (it uses an average from years ago instead of a linear extrapolation and our deaths increase every year due to an aging population), so this is a good sign since we're starting to match up with the lag in death certificate reporting.

LibertyTurns

Banned

Alright kids. Time to get on the train back to normalcy.

Sheep GIF

Come on sheeple. Your kids don't need a covid vaccine. This is nothing more than mass hysteria if it's come to this.

Deleted member 2897

Sheep GIF

Come on sheeple. Your kids don't need a covid vaccine. This is nothing more than mass hysteria if it's come to this.

I have a 15 year old son. He gets the flu shot every year, because why not. I have zero fear of him dying if he gets Covid. But I worry about long term effects like brain fog. The guy is abYech man - he’s 10th in his class out of 700. I don’t want to risk all his hard work and all he has going for him. That’s the logic behind our decision…but I won’t fault others for thinking differently.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Sheep GIF

The more people we get vaccinated, the more we can slow this thing down. The more we can slow it down, the less people that will die, the less people that get hospitalized with serious illness, the less chances for any long term effects, the less chances for virus mutations, and the quicker we can open things back up without worry. Most kids are probably going to be fine but if you care about more than yourself then getting vaccinated doesn't make you a sheep. My older daughter has to wear a mask to school every day and every Wednesday the school is closed for sanitization. Just maybe if we get enough people vaccinated of all ages and we continue to crush case numbers then she can go back to school in the fall all week without a mask.

Deleted member 2897

The more people we get vaccinated, the more we can slow this thing down. The more we can slow it down, the less people that will die, the less people that get hospitalized with serious illness, the less chances for any long term effects, the less chances for virus mutations, and the quicker we can open things back up without worry. Most kids are probably going to be fine but if you care about more than yourself then getting vaccinated doesn't make you a sheep. My older daughter has to wear a mask to school every day and every Wednesday the school is closed for sanitization. Just maybe if we get enough people vaccinated of all ages and we continue to crush case numbers then she can go back to school in the fall all week without a mask.

And the current data backs up your post. The trend is really remarkable over the last couple months in terms of the complete collapse of new cases. Deaths are now starting to collapse even further too. Below is the last 6 weeks of data.

cases.jpg

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Just maybe if we get enough people vaccinated of all ages and we continue to crush case numbers then she can go back to school in the fall all week without a mask.
She should be able to now, imho. The fact that people are even *thinking* about further restrictions by the Fall makes me shudder. This pandemic is 'ovah' my friend, and we need to move on and resume normal life. Does that mean some people won't get sick? Nope, they will. Does it mean some people won't die? Nope, they will. Does it mean we have people die every day from causes like the flu or other diseases (or mental health issues etc)? Yup, we do. And by the Fall, this covid will be like so many other diseases...another one to try to be smart about and avoid...but not one to panic about and do silly things in schools to avoid.

Getting vaccinated is a great idea and almost a necessity if you fit into the profile of people at risk...either elderly or with underlying co-morbidities. I think we all agree on that. Getting vaccinated is a good idea. I have been. But those who choose not to are merely risking themselves...the risk to those around them who are vaccinated is miniscule.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
She should be able to now, imho. The fact that people are even *thinking* about further restrictions by the Fall makes me shudder. This pandemic is 'ovah' my friend, and we need to move on and resume normal life. Does that mean some people won't get sick? Nope, they will. Does it mean some people won't die? Nope, they will. Does it mean we have people die every day from causes like the flu or other diseases (or mental health issues etc)? Yup, we do. And by the Fall, this covid will be like so many other diseases...another one to try to be smart about and avoid...but not one to panic about and do silly things in schools to avoid.

Getting vaccinated is a great idea and almost a necessity if you fit into the profile of people at risk...either elderly or with underlying co-morbidities. I think we all agree on that. Getting vaccinated is a good idea. I have been. But those who choose not to are merely risking themselves...the risk to those around them who are vaccinated is miniscule.
I mean, 40k cases a day on the seven day average is certainly not over. We have great momentum right now but we need to keep our foot on the pedal and not get complacent. But my opinion or your opinion of what we should be doing now or in the fall isn't all that relevant. If we don't continue to get vaccinated and crush cases then the CDC, doctors, public health experts, and state health departments aren't going to ease up the guidelines and recommendations that most public schools are following.

Status
Not open for further replies.