Here's a COVID thread for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Or, the people who are at risk will be vaccinated and the rest will suffer similar to the flu.

Please note that I am not saying that COVID-19 has been no worse than the flu. I am simply stating that if high risk people are vaccinated, then it is possible that the disease will be more like the flu to those who are not yet vaccinated.

There was a NYT article several weeks ago that basically said that people on the right vastly understate the impact of COVID-19 and that people on the left vastly overstate the impact of COVID-19. There is absolutely no reason to believe that people are sheep if they get vaccinated. There is absolutely no reason to believe that people are sheep if they do get vaccinated. Some people postulate that COVID-19 is going to just disappear. Some people postulate that COVID-19 is going to be a big issue forever. I think there is a much better chance that SARS-COV2 will stick around just like H1N1 has stuck around since 1920. Not as a constant pandemical emergency, but as a seasonal annoyance. I don't believe that there has been zero health impact from COVID, but I also do not believe that the world is ending. Perhaps I should become more radicalized so I could fit into what seems to be the currently accepted methods of communication.
This is similar to the original COVID argument which was the people at risk should just stay home and therefore we don't have to shutdown. It didn't work out that way. If there is some public distrust in vaccines, that distrust is going to exist in the elderly and high risk groups as well. Elderly people in my family alone have already sworn off the possibility of getting the vaccine. In the end we won't go back to normal unless case numbers and deaths come down significantly. That won't happen unless we approach herd immunity which obviously won't happen if a significant portion of the population is strongly against or afraid of the vaccines.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I am in the Army. I got my vaccine yesterday. not cuz i wanted to or because the Army made me. I am suppose to go on a mission to Indonesia this summer and to enter that country its required so i got my first shot. we were briefed at the shot site that the FDA is about to approve the Pfizer vax around the first of May, while the Moderna will be about 2 weeks behind.

Right now, the Army can not force anyone to get the vax because its not FDA approved beyond Emergency Use. but you can bet your *** it will be mandatory once both are approved. I just turned 40 and i wouldn't have gotten it right now until the army forces it upon us but i want to go on this Indonesia trip so i went to get it.
Understand if you can’t elaborate but you working with Kopassus or helping them with Our Eyes? Hope we’re not still wasting our time in East Timor.

If you get time in Singapore, get some grub at Newton Circus and a few beers at the Long Bar. Darwin has a great steakhouse on the outskirts of town if you get dumped there.

Edit: should have added they lost a sub down there the last couple of days. Hopefully we help & you’re well received.

GT_EE78

Banned
I am in the Army. I got my vaccine yesterday. not cuz i wanted to or because the Army made me. I am suppose to go on a mission to Indonesia this summer and to enter that country its required so i got my first shot. we were briefed at the shot site that the FDA is about to approve the Pfizer vax around the first of May, while the Moderna will be about 2 weeks behind.

Right now, the Army can not force anyone to get the vax because its not FDA approved beyond Emergency Use. but you can bet your *** it will be mandatory once both are approved. I just turned 40 and i wouldn't have gotten it right now until the army forces it upon us but i want to go on this Indonesia trip so i went to get it.
hope your deployment goes well,
sad to hear you were semi forced into it
hope u didn't get Pfizer or Moderna ...
hope u wrong about mandatory but i know here u at so i get it
my dau is there too and reluctant
hope and pray for all

Deleted member 2897

This is similar to the original COVID argument which was the people at risk should just stay home and therefore we don't have to shutdown. It didn't work out that way. If there is some public distrust in vaccines, that distrust is going to exist in the elderly and high risk groups as well. Elderly people in my family alone have already sworn off the possibility of getting the vaccine. In the end we won't go back to normal unless case numbers and deaths come down significantly. That won't happen unless we approach herd immunity which obviously won't happen if a significant portion of the population is strongly against or afraid of the vaccines.

Give up on herd immunity. 1/3rd aren’t approved, so that’s the end of story. The CDC wants 70%-80%+. So it’s an impossibility. Covid is less deadly than the flu for almost half the population (those under age 30). (By the way, with how many people have been vaccinated and with how many people have had the virus, personally I think we will get there once 50% have been vaccinated. So don’t listen to the CDC.)

Shutdowns didn’t work out that way because people don’t listen and we learned we can’t shutdown. We almost ruined the country.

Also, cases and deaths have already come down significantly. They’re down nearly 90%. The problem is when asked how low is low enough the CDC can’t give an answer. Today, TODAY, with all we know now, the CDC Director said on national television if you’ve been vaccinated and are outdoors by yourself, you should still wear a mask.

And people wonder with all the incredible anti-science bull**** going on why some people aren’t interested in the vaccine? I wish everyone would get it, but they’re not. So we need to stop this shutdown fantasy and stop this herd immunity fantasy and go about our business. If someone is worried for their safety, then get vaccinated. Wear a mask. Keep your distance. You’ll be fine.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Give up on herd immunity. 1/3rd aren’t approved, so that’s the end of story. The CDC wants 70%-80%+. So it’s an impossibility. Covid is less deadly than the flu for almost half the population (those under age 30). (By the way, with how many people have been vaccinated and with how many people have had the virus, personally I think we will get there once 50% have been vaccinated. So don’t listen to the CDC.)

Shutdowns didn’t work out that way because people don’t listen and we learned we can’t shutdown. We almost ruined the country.

Also, cases and deaths have already come down significantly. They’re down nearly 90%. The problem is when asked how low is low enough the CDC can’t give an answer. Today, TODAY, with all we know now, the CDC Director said on national television if you’ve been vaccinated and are outdoors by yourself, you should still wear a mask.

And people wonder with all the incredible anti-science bull**** going on why some people aren’t interested in the vaccine? I wish everyone would get it, but they’re not. So we need to stop this shutdown fantasy and stop this herd immunity fantasy and go about our business. If someone is worried for their safety, then get vaccinated. Wear a mask. Keep your distance. You’ll be fine.
They are already testing the vaccines on kids. My guess is that some of them will be getting vaccinated by late summer. As for giving up hope of us beating this thing, I’m not ready to do that yet. Call me an optimist.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I refuse to be that much of a worrier. COVID-19 has been bad, but it not close to Walking Dead type of bad. In fact it is not even in the same galaxy as Walking Dead type of bad. If you are fully vaccinated, then you have an extremely high chance of not dying from COVID-19. If an 85 year old is worried that there might be complications 10 years down the road from the vaccine, their worries are probably misplaced. If someone who does not choose to receive the vaccine catches COVID-19 at a sporting event and dies, that is sad. If someone refuses to get the flu vaccine, catches the flu at a sporting event and dies that is sad. I am not willing to miss sporting events because someone else made a conscious decision that puts them at risk. Period. If someone does not want the vaccine and catches COVID-19 at a Georgia Tech football game, that is not Georgia Tech's fault. That is not my fault. That is not your fault. I wouldn't even call it "fault" of that person. That person made a decision, and therefore, that person should live/die with the consequences. Same thing if someone gets the vaccine, has a bad reaction to it and dies. I can feel empathy for either of those people, but neither is my fault or responsibility. Every adult now has access to the vaccine. Every adult should make an informed decision about what they want to do with regard to the vaccine. Every adult should then accept responsibility for the good/bad consequences of receiving/not-receiving the vaccine. The consequences of that person's decision should not be thrust upon me, nor upon society in general.

EDIT: And I would say it is much different than arguments at the beginning of the pandemic. Some churches that refused to shut down had several members die from the virus. Many younger people brought the virus to their elderly family members and caused their death. Once every adult has access to the vaccine if they want it, there won't be people stricken by other peoples actions. That is extremely different.

They are already testing the vaccines on kids. My guess is that some of them will be getting vaccinated by late summer. As for giving up hope of us beating this thing, I’m not ready to do that yet. Call me an optimist.

Kids are much more likely to die of the flu than Covid. Why is anyone talking about vaccinating kids for Covid?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Kids are much more likely to die of the flu than Covid. Why is anyone talking about vaccinating kids for Covid?
Its extremely unlikely that kids will die from the flu as well but they get that yearly shot. In fact, kids get 16 different vaccines before they turn 18. I'm not sure why you think this won't be added to the list. Plus as already mentioned, kids can spread this thing and we kinda need to slow it down.

Its extremely unlikely that kids will die from the flu as well but they get that yearly shot. In fact, kids get 16 different vaccines before they turn 18. I'm not sure why you think this won't be added to the list. Plus as already mentioned, kids can spread this thing and we kinda need to slow it down.

Are yearly flu shots mandatory for kids? to attend school? I did not realize that.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Are yearly flu shots mandatory for kids? to attend school? I did not realize that.
No, and Covid shots wouldn't be mandatory either. 75% of kids 4 and under get annual flu shots though. 63% of kids 6 months to 17 years get them. I would guess that number will be even higher for Covid once it is widely available for all ages.

No, and Covid shots wouldn't be mandatory either. 75% of kids 4 and under get annual flu shots though. 63% of kids 6 months to 17 years get them. I would guess that number will be even higher for Covid once it is widely available for all ages.

Perhaps, but I doubt that many parents are going to get their kids Covid shots especially when they're not getting them themselves.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Understand if you can’t elaborate but you working with Kopassus or helping them with Our Eyes? Hope we’re not still wasting our time in East Timor.

If you get time in Singapore, get some grub at Newton Circus and a few beers at the Long Bar. Darwin has a great steakhouse on the outskirts of town if you get dumped there.

Edit: should have added they lost a sub down there the last couple of days. Hopefully we help & you’re well received.
I work on Apache helicopters and we are just doing a joint thing with Indonesia.
hope your deployment goes well,
sad to hear you were semi forced into it
hope u didn't get Pfizer or Moderna ...
hope u wrong about mandatory but i know here u at so i get it
my dau is there too and reluctant
hope and pray for all
I got moderna. And it will be mandatory for DoD people soon enough. Already got commands trying to coerce Soldiers to get the vaccine. The army wants atleast 80% of it people to be vaccinated and so commands get stupid about it and try everything. The US Army WTF Moments Facebook page and Twitter account busts commands out all the time for it.

Deleted member 2897

“giving up hope on beating this thing”, LOL, nobody said not to do that.

I hear 12-15 year olds will be approved soon and younger will be closer to the fall. Like I said, herd immunity per the CDCs definition is an impossibility even if everyone got it for at least the next several months.

We’ve seen what the numbers do when only 25% are vaccinated. Just wait, the numbers will be even more stellar with every passing month. We are beating this thing and we know how to be safe. As an individual, you know everything you need to beat it. Get vaccinated. And if you’re still worried, wear a mask, keep your distance. Live life!

Glad to hear that flu shots aren't mandatory to attend school, and I hope that Covid shots don't become mandatory for kids to attend school as well. Whether or not to get these shots need to be completely up to the parents.

Deleted member 2897

Hospitalizations among the elderly has dramatically collapsed. Beautiful.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
“giving up hope on beating this thing”, LOL, nobody said not to do that.

I hear 12-15 year olds will be approved soon and younger will be closer to the fall. Like I said, herd immunity per the CDCs definition is an impossibility even if everyone got it for at least the next several months.

We’ve seen what the numbers do when only 25% are vaccinated. Just wait, the numbers will be even more stellar with every passing month. We are beating this thing and we know how to be safe. As an individual, you know everything you need to beat it. Get vaccinated. And if you’re still worried, wear a mask, keep your distance. Live life!
Cases nationally are about double what they were a year ago and are going up in many parts of the country during a time when the weather should be helping tremendously. I don't think its quite time to declare victory yet. India did that. It didn't work out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.