Here's a COVID thread for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That restriction was for State owned fish and wildlife areas only. People could still fish on privately owned lakes.

I remembered that because when they opened back up it was something like two people from the same family could enter state fish areas to fish but had to maintain some large distance between themselves an others. My thought at the time was that preventing two people from the same family from fishing on the side of a state owned fishing area had an almost zero chance of spreading the virus to begin with. My thought at the time was that even if an immediate shutdown was necessary, that things that are very low risk should have been looked for and relaxed within a few days or weeks. In Michigan, they set up a regulation that didn't allow people to visit a vacation home if both homes were in Michigan. You could move between a house in Michigan and a house in another state, but if you owned a home and a vacation home both inside Michigan, you could not travel between them. I never heard of anyone being cited for violating that regulation, but simply having that regulation makes no sense. Having non-sensical restrictions doesn't prevent spread of disease and erodes public trust of the government. @SnidelyWhiplash has stated that people conforming to safe practices is the important thing. Political battles between governors imposing apparently nonsensical government restrictions and governors apparently deriding safe practices didn't help. I would say that neither of those positions helps get the public to follow safe practices.
Since I don't fish (and can't stand fish), it wouldn't an issue for me. I don't remember anything like that, and if it was, it would have been short-lived. There were essentially no restrictions for outside as long as you could maintain 6' social distance. There was some nonsense about moving between two private residences you owned, but that didn't last long, at all.

Deleted member 2897

We hit 200 million vaccine shots yesterday. The news has tried to generate outrage all along the way - not enough supply, too much, not enough. The rest of us need to ignore their bull**** and just take a moment to celebrate what a great country we live in and what an accomplishment this is.

Deleted member 2897

The CDC Director Rachelle Wolensky was on the Today Show just now. She said vaccinated people still need to wear masks...even outside...even when not around other people. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Savannah rightly called her out on this clown show.

GT_EE78

Banned
The CDC Director Rachelle Wolensky was on the Today Show just now. She said vaccinated people still need to wear masks...even outside...even when not around other people. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. Savannah rightly called her out on this clown show.
1619097459216.jpeg

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
That actually could end up being the case for those under 50-55 without serious pre-existing conditions.
So in your opinion only those over the age of 55 should get the vaccine and everyone else should wait a couple of years before getting the vaccine because of the high chance of adverse long term side effects. Is that the advice you are giving?

So in your opinion only those over the age of 55 should get the vaccine and everyone else should wait a couple of years before getting the vaccine because of the high chance of adverse long term side effects. Is that the advice you are giving?

I'm not giving any advice at all. Whether or not to take a vaccine not yet approved by the FDA should be up to each individual person without prejudice. If you are more scared of Covid than a new vaccine still in the testing phase, by all means get vaccinated.

GT_EE78

Banned
Let me guess, this genius thinks we all would have been better off not having vaccines for a couple of years until they had more long term data to analyze.
One can support policy of expediting the vaccines thru EUA's and also have concerns about the unknowns since the lab animal test requirements and long term safety test requirements were waived to grant the EUAs. They are not mutually exclusive.

Deleted member 2897

Well we ended the control group, so the truth is we'll never be able to understand the true side effects no matter how long we wait. Elderly people with a real solid chance of negative health outcomes should obviously weigh this completely differently than those say under 30. Personally, I think regardless of what the data shows (because I think the side effects will prove immaterial based on the mountain of data we have so far), everyone should think seriously about taking the vaccine. But I certainly don't begrudge younger healthier people for wanting to wait. One thing is for sure, the CDC and FDA have truly shown their complete incompetence when we needed them most.

GT_EE78

Banned
I'm not giving any advice at all. Whether or not to take a vaccine not yet approved by the FDA should be up to each individual person without prejudice. If you are more scared of Covid than a new vaccine still in the testing phase, by all means get vaccinated.
of course. each individual health status is different and risks vary.
It's a giant phase 3 clinical trail and the entire nation is the test case.
Why is anyone surprised that some people prefer to remain in the control group?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Just to expand on this, currently India is experiencing a huge surge in cases and deaths. One of the biggest problems they are facing is an increased rate of hospitalizations among younger people and even children. Literally their hospitals are full and people of all ages are dying because they can't get treatment. In your honest opinion, their country would still be better off stopping vaccinations for younger people for a couple of years?

Deleted member 2897

Just to expand on this, currently India is experiencing a huge surge in cases and deaths. One of the biggest problems they are facing is an increased rate of hospitalizations among younger people and even children. Literally their hospitals are full and people of all ages are dying because they can't get treatment. In your honest opinion, their country would still be better off stopping vaccinations for younger people for a couple of years?

We were talking about the United States, not third world countries who have different economies, healthcare systems, life expectancies, and so on. India citizens can make their own decisions based on their own circumstances.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
We were talking about the United States, not third world countries who have different economies, healthcare systems, life expectancies, and so on. India citizens can make their own decisions based on their own circumstances.
Every hospital I work with is now saying their current COVID patients are predominantly in their 20s and 30s.

Deleted member 2897

Every hospital I work with is now saying their current COVID patients are predominantly in their 20s and 30s.

Which is a great sign. The vast majority of our elderly have been vaccinated. Hospitalization levels for younger folks aren't getting worse, they're getting better. Its just that most of the old people have been vaccinated. Our folks in their 20s and 30s aren't dying in material numbers. In our entire country of 320 million people, we had about 5,000 people admitted into the hospital (all ages) for covid last week.

270 people all time under the age of 20 have died of covid.
2,000 people all time in their 20s have died of covid.
6,000 people all time in their 30s have died of covid.

You can compare this to the flu in any given year - its all public info:

Hospitalizations for the flu for those under age 20: 50,000 in 1 single year (we've had 3,000 hospitalizations in the last 1 year in this age group for covid).
Deaths for the flu for those under age 20: 650 in 1 single year. (Again, that compares to 270 for covid).

So for those age groups, hospitalization rates were 15x worse for the flu and death rates were 2.5x than for covid.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There was no mention of the United States in what I said or the reply. The reasons for vaccine usage or the risk of long term effects aren't unique country to country. Its perfectly valid to discuss it in terms of current world events. If you want to talk specifically about just the US then yes, telling all people below 55 to avoid the vaccine until long term tests are concluded is still pretty idiotic.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There was no mention of the United States in what I said or the reply. The reasons for vaccine usage or the risk of long term effects aren't unique country to country. Its perfectly valid to discuss it in terms of current world events. If you want to talk specifically about just the US then yes, telling all people below 55 to avoid the vaccine until long term tests are concluded is still pretty idiotic.
I decided to get vaccinated and have. I have seen many posts here and in other places stating that the vaccines have been FDA approved. That is false. There is not one single COVID-19 vaccine that has received FDA approval. They have been approved for use under an Emergency Use Authorization. The FDA was only allowed to do that because the pandemic has been declared a public health emergency. These vaccines HAVE NOT gone through all of the same trials and review that all medicines are required to go through. There is information about previous vaccine trials and how/when in the process serious issues have been found that are encouraging. However, there is no definitive declaration that the vaccines are in fact 100% safe.

I am deeply discouraged by people who either say that you are an idiot if you take the vaccine, or that you are an idiot if you don't get the vaccine. I don't think someone has to be frightened to get it and I don't think someone has to be frightened to not get it. It is simply an individual choice between whether you would rather accept an unknown risk of COVID, or an unknown risk of a somewhat tested vaccine.

Nice straw man. Noone has told those under 55 not to get vaccinated that I am aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.