He Gets It

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No, apparently not. He seized the opportunity at Clemson, made possible by a football NC, and has a building program maybe unmatched in college athletics. At the same time he is driving for improvement in varsity programs across the board, and a couple of coaches who didn't measure up are gone. Bobinski apparently used GT to get out of the rain and his first hire, football, is yet to prove itself but it's early. Interesting that big names were thrown in the mix, Miles for instance, but he hired a Western Kentucky guy. Apparently, however, Purdue is in the same facilities mess that GT was/is in, so how does that play out with self-described "fierce competitor"? (At this point Ma's caution is due: "A man has to say he is, ain't." ) The new man is the real thing, per the locker room. Only took 10 years and four ADs.

It actually only took one year with the right AD

Cam

Helluva Engineer
If he didn't earn it then it wasn't necessary. And missing out on bowl games isn't earning it. What was necessary is for someone to put a fire under Johnson's backside and send an actual message that losing seasons and missing bowls isn't acceptable. Instead the opposite happened. Our AD acted like we made the championship game last year, allowed Johnson to scapegoat another DC, and in general mad every excuse he could for the recent failures in our football program.
You're missing the point. It's not about whether CPJ deserved it. Extending Johnson was literally the only option that Stansbury had available to him that wouldn't hurt us in some major way. Even if he wanted to fire CPJ, the fact of the matter is that we are a cash poor program that cannot afford to pay the remainder of the contracts for Hewitt, Gregory, CPJ, and whatever new coach we hire. Firing is not an option right now. And if you do not provide an extension, you're basically telling every recruit to not bother coming to Georgia Tech because we're going to nuke the program in 1 or 2 years and start from scratch. It is a standard in college athletics to make sure your coach has enough years left on their contract to make recruits feel like they're coming to a stable program. It's just how it works.

Aside from that, Stansbury came out and publicly stated he's going to put as much support and resources into the football program that he can manage. One way he demonstrated this was issuing an extension and showing that he has confidence that his head coach can get it done. Honestly, he has essentially put CPJ on a 3 year clock. He's saying, "Here's everything you've asked for. New facilities, larger recruiting staff, your top choice at DC. No more excuses, make it happen." After the 2020 season, we'll have enough money built up from the Gregory and Hewitt contracts ending and (hopefully decent) ACC Network money to make the decision whether to extend CPJ again or kindly ask him to retire.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
The beer garden with downtown views would be a hit with millennials. It will get the young whippersnappers to the games.

That and put some good food spots in that area. I would love for it to only have atlanta micro beers, throw in some local food flair and watch the season tickets in that section explode

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If he didn't earn it then it wasn't necessary. And missing out on bowl games isn't earning it. What was necessary is for someone to put a fire under Johnson's backside and send an actual message that losing seasons and missing bowls isn't acceptable. Instead the opposite happened. Our AD acted like we made the championship game last year, allowed Johnson to scapegoat another DC, and in general mad every excuse he could for the recent failures in our football program.
The DCs we have had, at least by their performance, needed nobody else to scape their goat.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I always pull for the team unlike most of the Scheme First, School Second crowd. I don't hate Johnson - I just hate losing.
Funny you think that since there’s only one fan who is scheme first school second and he’s very up front about that.

Me thinks you’re projecting a little.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I just listened to an interview with TStan. I am utterly convinced he is the right person for the job. He understands Tech's strengths and limitations and will put our student athletes in a position to succeed.

The man played goalie against Wayne Gretzky. He knows what greatness is and strives to get it.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
On the note of AD and gameday improvement stuff, I'm really glad BDS had the chance to host Atlanta United. I think all struggling sports franchises in the US have a thing or two they could learn from the successful MLS teams. Steep stands (Audi Field supporters section has a 35 degree grade) should be a must-have for all new stadiums and I'd love to see more stadiums around the United States implement safe-standing sections a la Orlando City. Very surprised a lot of the G5 teams building new stadiums haven't done the "soccer specific stadium" setup yet...super intimate and intimidating environments (McCamish is like the basketball version of an SSS).

JCTNJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The stadium at Tulane has a great standing area at the top for food and adult beverages. That would be a good model to consider. Spent most of the game up there rather than in our seats. Kind of like when we go the new Braves stadium. The way of the future (or present actually).