He Gets It

gtcole

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think having a bunch of drunks a 100 feet in the air with a 4 foot railing separating them from the pavement is such a great idea.
Works ok at the benz
mercedesbenzstadium-venue-20170905_1475.jpg

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I'd be praising my boss in the press too if he had just given me an undeserved two year contract extension.
The extension was necessary. You always need your head coach to have AT LEAST 3-4 years left in order to maintain recruiting. Recruits see a coach with only 1 or 2 years left and say, "Why would I commit there? The AD clearly doesn't have confidence in him or he'd extend him to cover the length of my scholarship. The guy is going to be gone after my RS-Fr season." Whether you feel the extension was deserved or not, it's just how college atheltics work.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
The extension was necessary. You always need your head coach to have AT LEAST 3-4 years left in order to maintain recruiting. Recruits see a coach with only 1 or 2 years left and say, "Why would I commit there? The AD clearly doesn't have confidence in him or he'd extend him to cover the length of my scholarship. The guy is going to be gone after my RS-Fr season." Whether you feel the extension was deserved or not, it's just how college atheltics work.
Thats logic I just don't buy into. First I give these kids more credit than that. They understand its a business and a coach can be fired anytime or leave for another job (lets not forget CPJ was trying to talk to Tennessee and he consistently reminds us he could have taken jobs elsewhere). Second, in Tech's case this apparently only applies to head coaches since we fired a DC during recruiting season while his son was on the team. Finally it really can't be said about CPJ who has publicly talked about retiring at anytime. So does this mean our recruiting will suffer the closer he gets to 65? By your logic, he should say Ill coach forever. And yes I understand why the AD gave it to him. I only hope he is also thinking "Im going to give CPJ the resources he needs to win games but he doesn't get five years to start winning". Hopefully CPJ is successful enough here to retire on his own terms.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Its half time of the uga gt game.

I can see the 6 BEER INFUSED uga side walk fans dressed in their oakland raider attire.
First they bark to themselves.

Then they bark and roam among the cowering gt fans.

Then the gt fans have had enough.. .

Going to need a higher railing or a safety net.
The dog guy going over the railing on live tv- lets do this!

Last edited:

Animal02

Banned
Thats logic I just don't buy into. First I give these kids more credit than that. They understand its a business and a coach can be fired anytime or leave for another job (lets not forget CPJ was trying to talk to Tennessee and he consistently reminds us he could have taken jobs elsewhere). Second, in Tech's case this apparently only applies to head coaches since we fired a DC during recruiting season while his son was on the team. Finally it really can't be said about CPJ who has publicly talked about retiring at anytime. So does this mean our recruiting will suffer the closer he gets to 65? By your logic, he should say Ill coach forever. And yes I understand why the AD gave it to him. I only hope he is also thinking "Im going to give CPJ the resources he needs to win games but he doesn't get five years to start winning". Hopefully CPJ is successful enough here to retire on his own terms.
All that verbage to say nothing. :rolleyes:

GTJake

Helluva Engineer

FYI, that logic is reality in D1 Football recruiting ...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Do we know for a fact he was trying for a Tennessee interview? I have seen it as common wisdom, but nobody has actually said they know it for a fact and here's how. And the "consistently" reminding us of other offers, again I am not disputing you because I don't know. But the only reference to that I can recall was several years ago when Auburn came open and Johnson was somehow mentioned and somewhere in that context as I remember it he said he had been offered other jobs. But that is the only time I recall it.

As for the rest, I still think that six wins or less, regardless of the contract, Johnson will be replaced. Except keep in mind the new AD has publicly expressed his admiration for the option, so there is that. The only thing I would want different is a version of the QB-Bback load option to be run QB-A back and actually get those really good players some carries.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

If he didn't earn it then it wasn't necessary. And missing out on bowl games isn't earning it. What was necessary is for someone to put a fire under Johnson's backside and send an actual message that losing seasons and missing bowls isn't acceptable. Instead the opposite happened. Our AD acted like we made the championship game last year, allowed Johnson to scapegoat another DC, and in general mad every excuse he could for the recent failures in our football program.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
If he didn't earn it then it wasn't necessary. And missing out on bowl games isn't earning it. What was necessary is for someone to put a fire under Johnson's backside and send an actual message that losing seasons and missing bowls isn't acceptable. Instead the opposite happened. Our AD acted like we made the championship game last year, allowed Johnson to scapegoat another DC, and in general mad every excuse he could for the recent failures in our football program.

And which P5 program are you or have been the AD for? In other words why should we think you have a clue about what you're talking about other than your well known dislike for PJ and his offense?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
And which P5 program are you or have been the AD for? In other words why should we think you have a clue about what you're talking about other than your well known dislike for PJ and his offense?

Did you ask that about people who called for Roof's firing?