Has it come to this?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
How, exactly, do you pre-plan a transition like this one? Hiring a HCiW, unless he will be another 3O guy wasn't going to work. The only way would have been to pony up for a defensive minded HCiW and planted him in the DC role. Even then, the whole fanbase would complain if he hired an option guy to be OC for a year or so while we slowly backed away, and what OC is going to come work himself out of a job?

No. In this, I think TStan was right. If you're going to change, just go ahead and rip the band aid off all at once and deal with it.

Just my opinion. College football is a business. If he's fine with 1-11, ok. Me? I would have been fired for organizing a transition like that.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I went to the Citadel game, thinking it was our best chance for a win. What remaining home game presents our best chance for another win this season?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Just my opinion. College football is a business. If he's fine with 1-11, ok. Me? I would have been fired for organizing a transition like that.

While college football is a business, there are some unique factors to it that allow some leeway in transitions like this. It's similar to pro basketball teams tanking for draft picks. Not how you'd run a normal business, but it's a valid methodology in the NBA. Similarly, in P5 football, fanbases are understanding of transitions and rebuilds. TStan has a get out of jail free card on this transition, but if CGC doesn't work out, the next coach absolutely has to be a homerun.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Apparently, Mark Richt is the voice of reason?

That show makes me shake my head. It's like a divorced dad whose grown son has moved away, so he's like showing up and hanging-out with his son's old friends from high school. It's just pathetic.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
There are problems all over, but I see the offensive line and perimeter blocking as being the most glaring issue right now.

Reasonable goals right now are 1) playing with appropriate effort 2) proper play execution and 3) winning the next game.
What the latter tells me is that we have a coaching problem. If there is one thing that this crowd - both the OL and the RBs - could do last year, it was perimeter blocking. I haven't seen a single good cut block on the outside this year. I speculate that that's because the coaches want the backs and OLs to hold their blocks because the plays are slow developing. Let's hope that the play calls change to get the skill players outside faster.

As I keep saying, more double options would help.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We can’t get linemen? What? Based off of what?

Based off the lack of pass rush that has been evident since Richards and Walker graduated with few exceptions. We could not get pressure on the Citadel's quarterback when he threw that touchdown pass even though both offensive tackles weighed in the neighborhood of 240lbs.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
No winning the ACC Coastal Division and going to the ACCCG is a great thing even if you get pounded by UGAG and Clemson..........................................................................................just sayin';)

It was...at one time. Now? not really. I would take beating UGA over winning the Coastal Division but if we can beat the Dwags winning the Coastal will ordinarily follow.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Based off the lack of pass rush that has been evident since Richards and Walker graduated with few exceptions. We could not get pressure on the Citadel's quarterback when he threw that touchdown pass even though both offensive tackles weighed in the neighborhood of 240lbs.

I think it will be different now that we have a better recruiter here who values recruiting.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it will be different now that we have a better recruiter here who values recruiting.

I can't stand this trash comment. The insinuation is that PJ didn't value recruiting in some way, which is complete and utter BS. PJ lamented the lack of recruiting staff and upgraded facilities constantly and worked to get both. However after 2015, there was little to no chance of him getting any real support from a jaded alumni and fanbase.

What you are throwing out here is a bastardization of his criticism of the star ranking system - most of which were valid. He felt like the services ranked recruits based off of what programs offer them (which they do) and that the 5 stars weren't hard to pick out anyway. He couldn't stand the thought of recruiting services trying to compare the 50th OL with the 35th corner, etc.

Furthermore, it wasn't lack of talent that was cause our DL to get whipped by Citadel - it was lack of effort or poor scheme, one of the two.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I have a bit of a different take. The AD knew CPJ was looking to retire and should have been thinking about how we transition. Waiting until the SHTF is poor planning in my view. A good AD should be looking 2-5 years ahead ... and not accepting progress as barreling down the highway between the guardrail and the edge.
Considering how quickly Collins was hired, (and with the lack of interviewing other notable coaches) I think TStan knew exactly what his plan was.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What the latter tells me is that we have a coaching problem. If there is one thing that this crowd - both the OL and the RBs - could do last year, it was perimeter blocking. I haven't seen a single good cut block on the outside this year. I speculate that that's because the coaches want the backs and OLs to hold their blocks because the plays are slow developing. Let's hope that the play calls change to get the skill players outside faster.

As I keep saying, more double options would help.

Last night, I watched the Citadel game for the third time. What struck me was the lack of urgency in blocking by some of the wide receivers and backs but what was more significant was the success the Citadel had on wide plays of all kinds. Double options, rocket tosses, pitches off the triple option were all successful because our defensive backs did not set the edge. We must improve on these things or we will see a steady diet of perimeter running for big gains by backs much bigger and faster than the ones we saw last Saturday.

I trust that this is the case. Recruiting linemen, particularly defensive tackles has been problematic for our program for a long time. My frustration with it is such that I would advocate a recruiter just for the defensive line with a carte blanc mandate to recruit nationally. Go where you have to go, promise what you have to promise, pay whom you have to... well, maybe not that one but you get the idea. It should be job one going forward and a top priority. I do not mean to be critical but good, serviceable running backs, tight ends, linebackers and even safeties are a dime a dozen but finding defensive linemen, particularly tackles and really good offensive linemen are scarce as hen's teeth. Right now, I think it would be easier for Tech to recruit quarterbacks and receivers than to get linemen. The only position that comes even close to the linemen are true shut down corners. Hard to find them too. It is a tough business all the way around.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I can't stand this trash comment. The insinuation is that PJ didn't value recruiting in some way, which is complete and utter BS. PJ lamented the lack of recruiting staff and upgraded facilities constantly and worked to get both. However after 2015, there was little to no chance of him getting any real support from a jaded alumni and fanbase.

What you are throwing out here is a bastardization of his criticism of the star ranking system - most of which were valid. He felt like the services ranked recruits based off of what programs offer them (which they do) and that the 5 stars weren't hard to pick out anyway. He couldn't stand the thought of recruiting services trying to compare the 50th OL with the 35th corner, etc.

Furthermore, it wasn't lack of talent that was cause our DL to get whipped by Citadel - it was lack of effort or poor scheme, one of the two.
I maybe wrong but I think we only have like 2 people working in the recruiting office up until like 2 years ago. Then we double it to get 4 people. That was part of the commitment vs expectations speech. Whatever the additions were we did see an uptick in recruiting.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I maybe wrong but I think we only have like 2 people working in the recruiting office up until like 2 years ago. Then we double it to get 4 people. That was part of the commitment vs expectations speech. Whatever the additions were we did see an uptick in recruiting.
This is not brought up enough. CPJ begged the previous AD for more recruiting staff. It wasn't until TStan that we began to see the change. There was one year where in almost every CPJ press conference he complained about not being given the resources.

Animal02

Banned
While college football is a business, there are some unique factors to it that allow some leeway in transitions like this. It's similar to pro basketball teams tanking for draft picks. Not how you'd run a normal business, but it's a valid methodology in the NBA. Similarly, in P5 football, fanbases are understanding of transitions and rebuilds. TStan has a get out of jail free card on this transition, but if CGC doesn't work out, the next coach absolutely has to be a homerun.
There is a big difference between pros...who get paid, and may be with the organization for a decade compared to these kid who are here for 4-5 years tops. It is disgraceful to say "sorry we are going to suck intentionally for a few years" Every kid on the team should have been give a release and immediate eligibility elsewhere

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is not brought up enough. CPJ begged the previous AD for more recruiting staff. It wasn't until TStan that we began to see the change. There was one year where in almost every CPJ press conference he complained about not being given the resources.

And yet, if he had asked for volunteers, he would have had a thousand.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There is a big difference between pros...who get paid, and may be with the organization for a decade compared to these kid who are here for 4-5 years tops. It is disgraceful to say "sorry we are going to suck intentionally for a few years" Every kid on the team should have been give a release and immediate eligibility elsewhere

Way to miss the point. The point I was making is that NCAA football as a business is unique and cannot be compared to other business models and was a direct reply to another poster.