Has it come to this?

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
Hot take: Football is not GT's "culture".

Actually, it's not really that hot of a take... I think it's rather obvious. GT is not a football factory and I can say with some confidence that it never will be. Apologies to those that are significantly vested into it while thinking otherwise, but with respect to GT's "culture," football is just a game and not a religion... and I don't see anything wrong with that. From what I've seen on this board, some of those waiting for the finished product need to temper their expectations, because they are just unrealistic. Maybe instead of taking it too seriously, set some of those expectations aside and just enjoy the game.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We’re gonna beat Virginia Tech. The games we’re going to have a chance in are the ones where the opposing offense is terrible, meaning it won’t take more than 17 points to win. I wouldn’t be shocked if Fuenté is either already fired or about to get canned by November. They’re awful.

I think we’re gonna have a shot against Pitt and maybe Carolina, too.

I'm still not sold on this. Both teams offense is garbage. Both have defenses that can shut each others O down. I trust VTs kickers more than I trust ours.

Caveat: If Wells gets the call and it's inside 50 we could pull the upset.

slugboy

Staff member
With virtually any football team in the ACC other than Clemson, I could make a great case about how they’re a horrible job that a decent coach wouldn’t want. I could do that for most college football jobs. Most of what I read and heard from coaches and from sportswriters was that this was a plum job that a lot of people were competing for, and one of the better ones in the ACC.
I’d say we’re a top 50 job right now, but not a top 25 job at the moment, even with the rebuild. But this year is going to be rough.
I’m not going to go point by point on facilities/fans/expectations/academic support.

Regarding high expectations and low expectations for this year and last: We can “what if” our way up and down. I found last year to be disappointing compared to what I hoped we could be, but I also think we overachieved based on what we were.
The “Coastal is trash, we could have won it” is a tallest midget argument—if the other teams get a little worse, we can have a better record. If the Coastal isn’t that good, then it’s not a good yardstick for how good we are.
I looked at some of the stat measures, because while they may not be perfectly fair, they try to be. They also try to predict your score and the games that you’ll win, and overall do pretty well.
We were the #74 ranked team in the S&P+ last year—a little lower rated than FSU, but not much, and overall below average. If you want to look, go to https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaa/2018
This year, we were projected to be the #89 team based on the recruiting class we got and the production on offense and defense we lost, regardless of who our coach was. After our loss to the Citadel, we’re #89 in that ranking right now.
The eyeball test last year said we weren’t really a good team, and lucked out a bit even going to the Quick Lane Bowl. We should be better than that, but the way you prove that is by playing a good game, which we didn’t. (And let me be clear I admire the fan hood of anyone who trekked to Detroit to watch that—that’s unvarnished LOVE for your team that proves what great fans we have)
FEI liked us a little better last year, rating us #63. Not just outside the top 25, but a middle of the road NCAA team rather than a below average one. This year, we’re #77 at this point.
We could improve into a better team than the one that went to a bowl last year, and still go 1-11. Bad luck can be a factor in your record, and injuries sure can be. There won’t be much bragging rights, but part of that is the way the schedule works out. I think we’ll do better than that.
Last Saturday, we saw our team and our coaches at their worst, and we think it’s downhill from there. Plus, we have two weeks to let that sear into our memories.
If they’re good players and a good coaching staff, this is hitting bottom, and we use this to become the team we should.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If they’re good players and a good coaching staff, this is hitting bottom, and we use this to become the team we should.

I agreed with everything in your post but this last line. This is bottom regardless of whether the coaches are good or not. We don't schedule Div II teams so losing to a bad FCS team is as low as it could/should theoretically get.

As to the rest, we are reshaping this team and will suffer some in the process. It was to be expected.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
I think he can because of the fertile recruiting area and the relentless recruiting style of his assistants. However, I am not convinced we can get linemen especially defensive linemen who are top notch. Seems like the ones we get are one of two things: if they are big, they are slow and if they are quick they are small. How many Daryl Richards and Vance Walkers are around? Not many.

We can’t get linemen? What? Based off of what?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The “Coastal is trash, we could have won it” is a tallest midget argument—if the other teams get a little worse, we can have a better record. If the Coastal isn’t that good, then it’s not a good yardstick for how good we are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I tend to agree....winning the Coastal but getting curb stomped by the Uga's and Clemson's on our schedule is a very hollow victory. I guess it beats finishing second or worse but I agree with the "tallest midget" idea.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I tend to agree....winning the Coastal but getting curb stomped by the Uga's and Clemson's on our schedule is a very hollow victory. I guess it beats finishing second or worse but I agree with the "tallest midget" idea.
No winning the ACC Coastal Division and going to the ACCCG is a great thing even if you get pounded by UGAG and Clemson..........................................................................................just sayin';)

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope none of you learn today you or love ones are having a baby, because if it's not born next month you b on swarm. Website crying and complaing. The baby not here . It takes time for everything to develope , most of you are raising. Kids. I guess want them out college ,4 it's after birth.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope none of you learn today you or love ones are having a baby, because if it's not born next month you b on swarm. Website crying and complaing. The baby not here . It takes time for everything to develope , most of you are raising. Kids. I guess want them out college ,4 it's after birth.

These comments get tiring in a way. Yes it takes time. But can you honestly say that coaches are putting players in the best position to succeed?Secondly this lost was to citadel. It’s not like they were top 5 in the fcs. A lot of people are griping because the coaching hasn’t lived up to what they were selling. Which happens when you get a coach trying to rebrand the program. He’s doing a great job on that but never should Tech lose to a citadel. Sorry but if there was one game on the schedule you couldn’t lose it was this past weekend.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I have a bit of a different take. The AD knew CPJ was looking to retire and should have been thinking about how we transition. Waiting until the SHTF is poor planning in my view. A good AD should be looking 2-5 years ahead ... and not accepting progress as barreling down the highway between the guardrail and the edge.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I have a bit of a different take. The AD knew CPJ was looking to retire and should have been thinking about how we transition. Waiting until the SHTF is poor planning in my view. A good AD should be looking 2-5 years ahead ... and not accepting progress as barreling down the highway between the guardrail and the edge.

How, exactly, do you pre-plan a transition like this one? Hiring a HCiW, unless he will be another 3O guy wasn't going to work. The only way would have been to pony up for a defensive minded HCiW and planted him in the DC role. Even then, the whole fanbase would complain if he hired an option guy to be OC for a year or so while we slowly backed away, and what OC is going to come work himself out of a job?

No. In this, I think TStan was right. If you're going to change, just go ahead and rip the band aid off all at once and deal with it.

slugboy

Staff member
I figured they had not changed it. If so GT would have tanked. The resultant data from poor results all of which are non-garbage against a winless FCS team would have been horrendous.

My guess is that it would have been like an F grade to a C-/D+ student. Really harmful to their average, but not nearly as damaging as it would be to an A+ student. We're already on the lower end, and this really damages our bowl chances, but it doesn't do the damage that it would have if we were hovering just outside the top 25.

On one hand, the bye week comes at a rough time because we have to dwell on this for a while. On the other hand, there's major problems to work on, and Key and Patenaude and the rest of the offensive coaches have two weeks to get us able to block. There are problems all over, but I see the offensive line and perimeter blocking as being the most glaring issue right now.

Reasonable goals right now are 1) playing with appropriate effort 2) proper play execution and 3) winning the next game.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
My guess is that it would have been like an F grade to a C-/D+ student. Really harmful to their average, but not nearly as damaging as it would be to an A+ student. We're already on the lower end, and this really damages our bowl chances, but it doesn't do the damage that it would have if we were hovering just outside the top 25.

On one hand, the bye week comes at a rough time because we have to dwell on this for a while. On the other hand, there's major problems to work on, and Key and Patenaude and the rest of the offensive coaches have two weeks to get us able to block. There are problems all over, but I see the offensive line and perimeter blocking as being the most glaring issue right now.

Reasonable goals right now are 1) playing with appropriate effort 2) proper play execution and 3) winning the next game.

Might also help to stop waving those silly “$ Down” signs and coaching the unplayed players on how to dance and look hip ‘n cool on the sidelines.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow

Bye week falls on a bad time for fans but I think it’s a good time for the team. Us fans have to sit here and stew after last Saturday. The team can regroup and rebound. I really hope you are right and the O gets a serious decision made on path forward.