Has it come to this?

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Right now I can go either way with Collins. I do believe he can get the job done and loved his demeanor and talk when he arrived. But, we've not heard much from him the past few days. Every Tech fan knows the we don't have the media on our side and his interview with Steve Hummer in Sunday's paper made Collins look bad. Hummer is probably one of the easier writers to deal with but, Collins came across sounding like a smirking PJ. and not responding to direct questions by Hummer. Example: at the end of the article after Hummer gave up with offering ways to make a bad game look ok, Collins stated "Blame me, I'm good with that" Hummer said "ok, it's a deal".

I dont believe that was an interview. Just an opinion piece by Hummer unless I really missed something.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Well the guy he hired definitely makes it a big priority. So TStan should definitely be on board. But it’s his responsibility to give the new guy the required resources and we still aren’t in the same league as our competitors. Not even close.

i dont disagree. i think uga clemson and bama all have over 30 staffers that do stuff the payed folks shouldnt have to do. ive suggested we do something like that here. 30 grunts.

surely we have plenty of guys who are whizzes at statistics that can compile data ... write letters. collect data on recruits etc. that should be FREE help. we have empty seats. pay them with season tickets and access.

now where we will fall behind is competing with the big boys wrt payed staffers. thats on us. we are already running a deficit. we tripled and more what cpj had to work with and we are still lagging.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Right now I can go either way with Collins. I do believe he can get the job done and loved his demeanor and talk when he arrived. But, we've not heard much from him the past few days. Every Tech fan knows the we don't have the media on our side and his interview with Steve Hummer in Sunday's paper made Collins look bad. Hummer is probably one of the easier writers to deal with but, Collins came across sounding like a smirking PJ. and not responding to direct questions by Hummer. Example: at the end of the article after Hummer gave up with offering ways to make a bad game look ok, Collins stated "Blame me, I'm good with that" Hummer said "ok, it's a deal".
I defended CPJ so I'll do the same for CGC not much he could say and to throw players under the bus may not be a good idea for a coach . He is the head coach said to blame him and that is his job. I do expect better playing next week. And still hope this is our last year with this offensive coordinator.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Lenny Bias dying blew up the entire Maryland athletic department, and they basically ran him out (drove him to quit), despite being an utterly fantastic coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. Did Coach Ross coach the basketball team also and was blamed for the unfortunate loss of Lenny Bias. I don't think they have really been the same since. They did look pretty good against Temple...until they got inside the 10 yard line anyway.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Well, Coach Collins did say "Blame me..." so that is what Hummer did . He will learn that you cannot trust the Atlanta media especially the Atlanta Constitution writers. It has been decades since Tech got a fair shake from its hometown media. Sad.

LibertyTurns

Banned
i dont disagree. i think uga clemson and bama all have over 30 staffers that do stuff the payed folks shouldnt have to do. ive suggested we do something like that here. 30 grunts.

surely we have plenty of guys who are whizzes at statistics that can compile data ... write letters. collect data on recruits etc. that should be FREE help. we have empty seats. pay them with season tickets and access.

now where we will fall behind is competing with the big boys wrt payed staffers. thats on us. we are already running a deficit. we tripled and more what cpj had to work with and we are still lagging.
We need AI recruiting. There’s guys that get overlooked, guys we don’t even need to look at, etc. We’re planning on following the herd & we’re on the wrong side of the herd.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
To further expand on this, GT is not an attractive job.

You may think that it is. You may think that you have national championships, and a fertile recruiting ground, and "1 in every 6 grads is a millionaire". You would be deceiving yourself.

To an outsider:
  • You have an apathetic fanbase that supports the team neither by showing up, nor by financially supporting the program, nor even by having a loud/noticeable public presence
  • You have an apathetic, perhaps even hostile administration that does not provide a coach the resources necessary to succeed, and an academic side that is so hostile to sports that it's a running joke AMONG THE FANBASE
  • You have marginal facilities
  • You have an unattractive academic environment, that the fanbase takes pride in, and makes it seem worse than it is
  • You have undervalued a series of above-average coaches. Coaches most programs in your position would be DELIGHTED to have had
  • You have a small media presence
  • Etc
  • Etc
  • Etc

You NEED Collins to succeed, because a model like him or Johnson is the best you can reasonably expect to get. Either A) An up and comer hoping to make his name (and it's a bonus if he has a reason to stay at GT if he beats the odds and succeeds) or B) A guy with warts who has something to prove.

If Collins fails, you will be LESS attractive than before, because if he fails, it will have demonstrated that you cannot recruit at GT in 2022 well enough to compete.

So, EVEN IF YOU FIND HIM AWFUL, and you hate his silly money down antics, and his swag chalices, and sideline dance parties, YOU NEED TO BE DANCING YOUR ASSES OFF, because he's the best you're likely to get, and if he's going to win, he's going to have to win his way. It might not work, but it certainly won't help if the fanbase is publically undercutting him all the time.

Like, yes, I personally think he's a clown of the highest magnitute, but if I'm a GT fan, I'm acting like he's the second coming, because there's probably not going to be a third coming.

Yep. This needed to be said. Thanks.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I came home Saturday from the game unbelieving how we lost that game. After a couple days, I still wondered what in the world is going on with our team, and why TO is not our #1 QB. I decided to watch the game on my DVR that I recorded and now I believe personally that I understand exactly what our staff is facing. Offensively, we have very few play makers, TO, Mason, and Camp. A wide receiver was a yard short of a first down in the USF game and rather than put his head down and pick up the first down, he ran out of bounds. In the Citadel game, a tight end waited on a pass from Luke to come to him rather than going to the ball which could have been caught. Same tight end gator armed a pass from Tobias. If we had 2 TO’s, I am sure one would start at QB and the other at kick returner/wing back. Tobias can pass if given the opportunity but the reason Luke is playing a lot is we NEED more play makers. Coach is giving Luke the chance to improve and contribute. He has the desire and the tools, just needs to develop. Same can be said for James. Our OL injuries have really hurt. Our DL got man handled by an FCS team. To me, we are in pre-season mode so the loss to Citadel certainly hurt, but understandable. The coaching blunder at the end of the game should never have happened but it is what it was with the new staff in place for only a few games. Our rebuild is much more serious than I thought and will take quite awhile. Our coaches and players need our support and patience more than ever.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

First, I think the "Blame me..." quote came from the post-game press conference, not an individual interview.

When CGC was first hired and started his marketing, I said I was cautiously optimistic. I am still cautiously optimistic. I don't care for "Money Down", and I don't like having players dance on the sideline while the players on the field are getting dominated. But I would say that is more personal preference. I don't like the above the line and development team branding, just because they appear to be working in practice just like every other team. I didn't understand putting Johnson in on third and medium/long when Oliver had been generally moving the ball. I wasn't happy with the clock management at the end of the game.

However, with all of the things I don't particularly care for: The players seem to be busting their tails. The defense is looking much better this year than it has for several years. CGC is still building excitement.

At the moment, I am still cautiously optimistic. I am going to support the coaches. I am going to support the players. I am going to attend games.