Has it come to this?

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Ex-players, ex-coaches, the current players, the current coaches (3 of them former GT players themselves) none of them know more than message board guy who has never played a down of college football.

Reason & logic be damn. Sounds familiar.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I never understood why he left Maryland. Conflict with administrators? Looming NCAA problems? A desire to seek new pastures? Tired of the cold? I am sure it wasn't a money thing per se. Bobby Ross was not running after a bigger paycheck but I have never heard him say why he left a reasonably successful program for one of the hardest jobs in college football.

memory is kinda fuzzy on this but it seems like there was a controversy and he was unhappy that the school didnt stick up for him.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I can't stand this trash comment. The insinuation is that PJ didn't value recruiting in some way, which is complete and utter BS. PJ lamented the lack of recruiting staff and upgraded facilities constantly and worked to get both. However after 2015, there was little to no chance of him getting any real support from a jaded alumni and fanbase.

What you are throwing out here is a bastardization of his criticism of the star ranking system - most of which were valid. He felt like the services ranked recruits based off of what programs offer them (which they do) and that the 5 stars weren't hard to pick out anyway. He couldn't stand the thought of recruiting services trying to compare the 50th OL with the 35th corner, etc.

Furthermore, it wasn't lack of talent that was cause our DL to get whipped by Citadel - it was lack of effort or poor scheme, one of the two.

maybe he was referring to the previous ad and all the RECRUITING help cpj never got. d stan obviously believes recruiting is a key

LibertyTurns

Banned
Personally, I never understood why he left Maryland. Conflict with administrators? Looming NCAA problems? A desire to seek new pastures? Tired of the cold? I am sure it wasn't a money thing per se. Bobby Ross was not running after a bigger paycheck but I have never heard him say why he left a reasonably successful program for one of the hardest jobs in college football.
Ross’ AD castigated him in the media for his actions after a UNC game where he chased down the officials. There was the Len Bias death and subsequent cloud hanging over the football team. Then there was the lack of support by Maryland. I think in the end they just told him to go because of the irreconcilable differences but not sure of that.

That’s what I remember but I’m getting old and memory is not what it used to be.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
maybe he was referring to the previous ad and all the RECRUITING help cpj never got. d stan obviously believes recruiting is a key

Well the guy he hired definitely makes it a big priority. So TStan should definitely be on board. But it’s his responsibility to give the new guy the required resources and we still aren’t in the same league as our competitors. Not even close.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Right now I can go either way with Collins. I do believe he can get the job done and loved his demeanor and talk when he arrived. But, we've not heard much from him the past few days. Every Tech fan knows the we don't have the media on our side and his interview with Steve Hummer in Sunday's paper made Collins look bad. Hummer is probably one of the easier writers to deal with but, Collins came across sounding like a smirking PJ. and not responding to direct questions by Hummer. Example: at the end of the article after Hummer gave up with offering ways to make a bad game look ok, Collins stated "Blame me, I'm good with that" Hummer said "ok, it's a deal".

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Local media always has an axe to grind with Tech. No matter how well their beloved mutts are doing. Got no interest in reading that garbage. No qualms with however CGC wants to deal with them. I think he can win whether he treats them amiably or not. Twitter and social media are his friend and a great weapon to counter ahole journalists. Something CPJ never cared to utilize.

slugboy

Staff member

Lenny Bias dying blew up the entire Maryland athletic department, and they basically ran him out (drove him to quit), despite being an utterly fantastic coach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Local media always has an axe to grind with Tech. No matter how well their beloved mutts are doing. Got no interest in reading that garbage. No qualms with however CGC wants to deal with them. I think he can win whether he treats them amiably or not. Twitter and social media are his friend and a great weapon to counter ahole journalists. Something CPJ never cared to utilize.

Hard to say. Furman Bisher always treated Tech fairly and I loved reading his columns.

Today? The entire paper is a rag. It’s a shadow of what it once was.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Right now I can go either way with Collins. I do believe he can get the job done and loved his demeanor and talk when he arrived. But, we've not heard much from him the past few days. Every Tech fan knows the we don't have the media on our side and his interview with Steve Hummer in Sunday's paper made Collins look bad. Hummer is probably one of the easier writers to deal with but, Collins came across sounding like a smirking PJ. and not responding to direct questions by Hummer. Example: at the end of the article after Hummer gave up with offering ways to make a bad game look ok, Collins stated "Blame me, I'm good with that" Hummer said "ok, it's a deal".

Collins is Butch Jones 2.0. I hope I’m wrong.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Lenny Bias dying blew up the entire Maryland athletic department, and they basically ran him out (drove him to quit), despite being an utterly fantastic coach.

Can you imagine how much of GT's history would have been different without Ross?

Obviously no national championship
No O'Leary or Friedgen as assistants, which means...
O'Leary never becomes HC at GT. (Possibility that Ralph becomes a HC sooner at Maryland as well because Ross eventually would have gone back to the NFL)
No Joe Hamilton
No Goose is loose

...and my favorite recruiting story about how GT got a soft serve ice cream machine in the athletic meal hall doesn't exist.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hard to say. Furman Bisher always treated Tech fairly and I loved reading his columns.

Today? The entire paper is a rag. It’s a shadow of what it once was.

Furman Bisher was awesome. One of maybe two good journalists to come out of the Atlanta Journal / Atlanta Constitution. And I forget the name of the other one. That was a loooong time ago.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Can you imagine how much of GT's history would have been different without Ross?

Obviously no national championship
No O'Leary or Friedgen as assistants, which means...
O'Leary never becomes HC at GT. (Possibility that Ralph becomes a HC sooner at Maryland as well because Ross eventually would have gone back to the NFL)
No Joe Hamilton
No Goose is loose

...and my favorite recruiting story about how GT got a soft serve ice cream machine in the athletic meal hall doesn't exist.

Ross was a godsend for Tech. Although I still maintain, Curry would still be coaching there today had he wanted to. He was and is, a fabulous speaker. He would be Cutcliff ... coaching without pressure.

slugboy

Staff member
Probably Jesse Outlar

If you’re talking sportswriters, I do like Jeff Schultz. Sekou Smith is solid for basketball. Steve Wyche was also solid, and has moved to work for the NFL.

They have all moved on from the AJC. The sports pages used to be awesome.

The AJC still does some good investigative journalism, though—they’ve rubbed people the wrong way, and turned up bad behavior over the past few decades from Bill Campbell, the Atlanta School System, some judges and local doctors, and they’re annoying the airport authority and mayor Keisha Lance-Bottoms lately. I wish they’d stir up even more trouble, but people would hate them even more.

Selah

If you’re talking sportswriters, I do like Jeff Schultz. Sekou Smith is solid for basketball. Steve Wyche was also solid, and has moved to work for the NFL.

They have all moved on from the AJC. The sports pages used to be awesome.

The AJC still does some good investigative journalism, though—they’ve rubbed people the wrong way, and turned up bad behavior over the past few decades from Bill Campbell, the Atlanta School System, some judges and local doctors, and they’re annoying the airport authority and mayor Keisha Lance-Bottoms lately. I wish they’d stir up even more trouble, but people would hate them even more.

Selah

Jeff Schultz is good, but the original post was regarding writers long ago, and Bisher and Outlar were on the AJC staff at the same time years ago. I thought both were excellent.
I am surprised that any newspaper actually turns up bad behavior in democrat administrations, so more power to them if they do. I realize this comment is more appropriate for the Swarm Lounge, but you DID mention it first. LOL

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
Ross’ AD castigated him in the media for his actions after a UNC game where he chased down the officials. There was the Len Bias death and subsequent cloud hanging over the football team. Then there was the lack of support by Maryland. I think in the end they just told him to go because of the irreconcilable differences but not sure of that.

That’s what I remember but I’m getting old and memory is not what it used to be.

thats it. i remember him running down officials but not the reason. good memory grass hopper