Has Georgia Tech Football entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?

Is Geoff Collins the next Bill Lewis

• Yes

Votes: 70 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 226 76.4%

• Total voters

GTFLETCH

Banned
The problem Johnson has was that he was this close to actually getting the program to the next level. He should have beaten uga in 2009, and then in 2010 Nesbitt got hurt. I think we’d have won the VT game and the uga game that year, and maybe the bowl, which turns 6-7 to 9-4 and 3-0 against uga. In 2011, had the touchdown against UVA not been called back and we could hold on against Utah in the bowl game, we go 10-3. In 2012, had we held on against VT and Miami, I doubt MTSU ever happens, and 7-7 turns into 10-4. At that point we’d have gone 9-4, 12-2, 9-4, 10-3, and 10-4. We were so close, but ultimately he didn’t get it done. It, however, shows that it’s possible but the margin is tight.

We’ll see if Collins can do it, but the early returns aren’t good.
I agree and I find it interesting when Collins talks about things like film study habits getting better and stuff like that- stuff that isn't related to simply running a different type of offense but which seem to be basic football stuff. Everyone acknowledges the scheme change is dramatic but Collins at times seems to indicate things go well beyond just that- I wonder if there is a diplomatic way to dig deeper into that? Like, what exactly does he mean with "film study habits are improving"?

GTFLETCH

Banned
I think CGC can succeed IF he survives the transition. There’s no question he’s botching the transition. Offensively, our staff had no idea what to even try the first month. We’re finally scoring a little, but we’re still not very competitive. A more experienced HC could have made the transition easier, IMO. Maybe not gotten more wins, but kept us more competitive and kept the program from feeling/looking like a dumpster fire.

When I say survive the transition, I’m not strictly talking about patience from fans and the program(though that’s part of it). I believe it is possible to improve through the transition or make it worse. For example, I think he’s a good recruiter, but if he is 2-22 with all 22 losses being at least two score games, it’s going to get harder to recruit. He’s got to find a way to keep us more competitive and win a few games. I think two, maybe even three, losing seasons will be accepted, but it depends on how we’re losing and how much. If he only has three wins through three years, I think he’d have dug himself too big of a hole.

However, say we continue to improve and maybe steal a game and have a few close games this year and then win three or four games next year and play much more competitively throughout the season. I think he could build off that and probably be fine.

He has to find a way to get through the transitional phase without, I’ll put it bluntly, looking as horrible as we do now for multiple seasons. If he can avoid that, I do think he can recruit and build a solid program. If he can’t do that, I don’t think he’ll last.
Spot on....I'm not sure talent is/was ever the issue this year...especially when we lost to the Citadel. At one point, we were dead last in offense out of all 120 D1 schools. The main conclusion from this year is that the coaching staff, and especially coach Collins, are not yet up to this job. They may grow into it...I sure hope so..

I just watched last year's GT Miami game on ACCN. GT played inspired, executed well, and nearly mistake free to win the game. I am sick of the thinly veiled cheap shots at the prior regime, it is completely unnecessary. Just focus on what you need to do to get better and recover from the train wreck of a season so far. I understand there's a transition, we get it, but stop bashing the previous HOF coach.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
That wasn't the case in the NC or Duke games. Both kept their starters in well into the fourth quarter. The UNC game was starters until the final drive with one minute left. The starting Offense never came out of the game besides the normal rotation.

Check out Thack's press conference this week - he acknowledged that some of the defensive success in the second half was conservative playcalls from Duke.

Animal02

Banned
I agree and I find it interesting when Collins talks about things like film study habits getting better and stuff like that- stuff that isn't related to simply running a different type of offense but which seem to be basic football stuff. Everyone acknowledges the scheme change is dramatic but Collins at times seems to indicate things go well beyond just that- I wonder if there is a diplomatic way to dig deeper into that? Like, what exactly does he mean with "film study habits are improving"?
There seems to be a lot of boasting about doing things that are just normal for all teams, and it appears as passive aggressive shot at the previous regime. Though wasn't Groh big on having players watch film? That had great results too. :rolleyes:

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a seriously thoughtless take. Either that or you're just continuing what you think is low key trolling the new coaches In either case, not surprised at all.

How can any criticism of the current coaching staff be considered trolling?

No way, this staff to a man, would say he has met his expectation for the season. Or was all the off season bluster coming in to the season just hype?

GT_EE78

Banned
I hope that means that CGC is watching the films of Nick,Dabo, etal to improve his p0st-game pressers.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No way is Collins anywhere near BL as a coach. BL lost the team and they quit on him. Players and their parents didn't get along with him. Collins may not be a great game day coach yet but he has not lost his players. There was also a reason GOL came back to coach the D under Lewis. The D was coached by GOL as if it was his team. He was brought back to take over. Things had gotten that bad. I think these kids would go to war for Collins.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Spot on....I'm not sure talent is/was ever the issue this year...especially when we lost to the Citadel. At one point, we were dead last in offense out of all 120 D1 schools. The main conclusion from this year is that the coaching staff, and especially coach Collins, are not yet up to this job. They may grow into it...I sure hope so..

I just watched last year's GT Miami game on ACCN. GT played inspired, executed well, and nearly mistake free to win the game. I am sick of the thinly veiled cheap shots at the prior regime, it is completely unnecessary. Just focus on what you need to do to get better and recover from the train wreck of a season so far. I understand there's a transition, we get it, but stop bashing the previous HOF coach.
Good win today. He’s still gonna say this O transition is the biggest in the history of college football. That just shows me he knows D but doesn’t know how to run, much less make any transitions, on offense. Or that he makes the biggest overstatements to excuse sloppy O results. It’s one of the two.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Good win today. He’s still gonna say this O transition is the biggest in the history of college football. That just shows me he knows D but doesn’t know how to run, much less make any transitions, on offense. Or that he makes the biggest overstatements to excuse sloppy O results. It’s one of the two.
He said it after the game during on field interview

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
People have pitched so many fits over CGC and his staff through the losses. Hilarious to see them stick to their guns after a win.
Well they’re still valid concerns. Anyone ready to declare victory after one win is delusional. Two weeks from now we’re going to play a good football team, and if we score 7 offensive points in regulation we will probably lose.