Has Georgia Tech Football entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?

Is Geoff Collins the next Bill Lewis

• Yes

Votes: 70 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 226 76.4%

• Total voters

GTFLETCH

Banned
This was our worst loss since Ross's first (or maybe second) team lost to Furman. Ross went on to prove us all wrong who were around back then. I sure Collins can do the same.
Or he could end up being worse than Bill Lewis... We won't know until year 3... But this loss shows us they (OC) might not have a clue

Jmonty71

Banned
Just about every big rebuild has the potential of being embarrassed one or two seasons unfortunately, Collins has one to two more seasons really to get his full recruiting class in place for his system

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Curious if people gave Bill Lewis the same benefit of the doubt. I don’t see anything showing CGC being any better.

Scubapro

Banned
I think the coaches doing this dumb qb carousal from day one vs simply grabbing a guy who most fit what they wanted to do (graham it appears) and giving him tons of reps and starting from day one has set the offense back in its progression a full year. At least a half a year.

Now. No. This doesnt help the OL. But you would be blind to tell me we at least didn’t start seeing some resemblance of an offense that made sense with graham playing a whole half.

Yes. He will make freshman mistakes. Probably we are still 1-3. Maybe 2-2. Maybe 0-4. But the use of him at least is showing something coherent on O.

I am trying to figure out the mindset of the staff this year.

- is it, i dont want to commit to any one qb cuz i dont like them all and dont want to deal with answering benching a starting qb next year for the guy i do like

- is it i dont want to lose the lockerroom early by benching elder guys in favor of freshman. This is not only qb but starting guys like curry who are playing at a fcs level

- is it we all need hugs and pt

- is it the more i play anyone that can breathe oxygen the more i can sell pt to recruits

But nothing makes sense to me. Nothing. Its almost like collins sees the roster. Sees the O is dogcrap with body types and talent. And is using this season as whatever. More i think about it. We may literally start 5 freshman and soph on the ol next save maybe quinney. Who knows.

Yep...its like a surreal monty python sketch or something.
This has been hashed out ad nauseam. We don't have players . blah blah blah
This is a rebuilding year Blah blah blah
We have to let him recruit a few years blah blah blah

What I am looking for is disciplined, cohesive play. Coupled with good game planning.
It appears there is zero idea on the coaching staff on how to prepare a team or game plan.
Yes, I blame dropped balls, fumbles, missed assignments on the coaches. If they do their job then the chances of these things are greatly reduced.

I really hope Geoff is successful but with his smoke and mirrors coupled with his everything is good propaganda he looks like a bad copy of Bill Lewis.

GTFLETCH

Banned
In a nutshell we have three problems ...
1) We have QB's recruited for the TO Offense
2) We have OL's recruited for the TO Offense
3) We don't run the TO Offense anymore
Like some others, I drank the pre-season Koolaid, but this is not going to be an over-night transition ...
It might be years before we can even get to 4 wins let alone Bowl eligible......We have entered the Bill Lewis Era part II!! I think CGC will be dismissed after year 4...unless he gets some 5 star recuits to commit!!! The Coaching staff has done a poor job of coaching their new scheme....

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I’m kind of concerned with CGC last two PC in how in relates to him as a HC. After the citadel game he talked about how the ref said something that he clearly didn’t say. Forget about the fact that he should know the rules, the ref clearly stated the clock would start on the ready to play. You can’t say that he was told something different because his excuse in the PC stated something to the effect “everyone in the stadium heard him”, so he was clearly talking about the head ref.
Issue two, after the temple loss , he starts talking about about how great their roster is and how how he and the staff can scout, recruit, and develop talent. I do have a problem with him trying to build himself up after you lose. It was almost as he is trying to take credit for their win. But that is beside the point, he made it sound like they were mostly players he scouted and recruited to Temple. I can’t find it but Someone here asked one of the Temple fan that came on the board this week before Saturday’s game “how many starters did CGC recruit”. The Temple fan said 2. https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/temple/91970 According to this, the breakdown is on O RS SR 2, SR 1, RS JR 6, JR 0, RS SO 0, SO 2, RS FR 0, FR 0. On D you have RS SR AND GR 4, SR 3, RS JR 2,JR 1, RS SO 1, SO 0, RS FR 0, FR 0. CGC was there 17 and 18 and you could say most of the freshman this year are his recruits. So all the freshman and sophomore players are his recruits. 2 guys on the starting 22, but let’s be Generous and say that even though he took the job on Dec 13 he had a hand in those players. So you can add RS So and JR, for 2 more players. At BEST he is responsible for 4 out the starting 22. The way he talked you would have thought at least half the guys were his recruits. I know coaches will give BS/coach speak answer to questions in a PC, but this is on a different level and IF again I said IF this continues and IF it is happening in the locker room, then the players will see through his BS. Let’s just caulk it up to not thinking straight after two frustrating loses and hope this trend doesn’t continue cause if it does it will be very ugly.
It is stuff like this that make me wonder If the new head ball coach has been promoted beyond his level of competence, the famed, or infamous, Peter Principle. A prime example of that may be (a spoiler alert here, for the name that can never be mentioned is about to be mentioned) ...Bill Lewis. For certain, he needs to shut up about recruiting until he does some recruiting here, and transfer players get minimum credit. (I thought for sure he would know a QB recruit he could flip to Tech, but it didn't happen, and maybe the early signing period put the kabosh on that.) Regardless, if he actually spent time praising what he left behind at Temple ... then perhaps he should not have left Temple. I do wonder how his Tech players are reacting to that.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Do not talk bad about the SAs... I was warned a few weeks ago by the GT SWARM ADMINS...

However the game was never close and Coach Collins is looking more like Bill Lewis every day.. UNC had a true freshman making his 6th start torch us for 300 plus yards and 4 TDs.... Meanwhile we have a Redshirt Freshman making his first start becuase our staff kept the QB Comp going into the Season... Wonder how the game (Or Season) would have gone had the coaching staff picked a QB before the season and allowed him to get better and woud have been making his 5th start yesterday... Bill Lewis Era Part II has begun!

Mack Brown ABOVE THE LINE... Coach Collins BELOW THE LINE!

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Do not talk bad about the SAs... I was warned a few weeks ago by the GT SWARM ADMINS...

However the game was never close and Coach Collins is looking more like Bill Lewis every day.. UNC had a true freshman making his 6th start torch us for 300 plus yards and 4 TDs.... Meanwhile we have a Redshirt Freshman making his first start becuase our staff kept the QB Comp going into the Season... Wonder how the game (Or Season) would have gone had the coaching staff picked a QB before the season and allowed him to get better and woud have been making his 5th start yesterday... Bill Lewis Era Part II has begun!

Mack Brown ABOVE THE LINE... Coach Collins BELOW THE LINE!

How is a post like this constructive in any way?

Are we struggling? Yep. Ahas the coaching staff made some questionable decisions? Sure.

Do you actually know this is Bill Lewis Part II? Nope. Not at all. You may think you know, but not a single person on this board knows how the Collins era is going to turn out at Tech.

I just don’t understand why some of you are so set on him failing at Tech. I honestly think there’s a large portion of posters here who would rather be right in thinking Collins isn’t the guy rather than have Collins succeed.

Scubapro

Banned
How is a post like this constructive in any way?

Are we struggling? Yep. Ahas the coaching staff made some questionable decisions? Sure.

Do you actually know this is Bill Lewis Part II? Nope. Not at all. You may think you know, but not a single person on this board knows how the Collins era is going to turn out at Tech.

I just don’t understand why some of you are so set on him failing at Tech. I honestly think there’s a large portion of posters here who would rather be right in thinking Collins isn’t the guy rather than have Collins succeed.
The bill lewis era was prior to the internet so its next to impossible to get the information BUT
Bill recruited very well...the problem was when they got here and saw the rah rah and smoke and mirror nonsense they bolted
I remember Tech getting several highly rated O & D linemen that flat out quit football
My point is this.
Collins can recruit but it doesn't mean that talent will overcome his coaching

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes Apathy has set in.

It's only going to get worst. This Coach is in over his head. He hasn't surrounded himself with capable people. This will probably get ugly.

Fire him now! Hire a football coach, not some used car salesman. We can win a press conference, but this guy will never really win at Tech.

This is awful

I remember the 80's and the Bill Lewis years. I always joked that BL ruined us on purpose because he was a UGA guy.

GC is just isn't ready.

He did a great job of selling himself and his love for Tech.

He isn't a head coach.

This sucks

GTFLETCH

Banned
Bill Lewis took over a 8-5 Georgia Tech team that won the Aloha Bowl over Stanford. Geoff Collins took over a 7-6 Georgia Tech team that lost the Quick Lane Bowl to Minnesota.

Bill Lewis won 11 games over his three years (first Year 5-6, Second Year 5-6, Third Year 1-7 until fired). CGC Collins has only won 1 game and has lost to a 0-2 FCS team (Citadel)on his record. We are losing because our defense gets destroyed. Everyone understands the scheme change on offense. But our defense should not be that much worse than the Citadel, Temple, UNC or Duke offenses.

Has Georgia Tech entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?