Has Georgia Tech Football entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?

Is Geoff Collins the next Bill Lewis

• Yes

Votes: 70 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 226 76.4%

• Total voters

Animal02

Banned
In game changes are difficult when you've not implemented your full package; there's a limit to what you can do starting from scratch with the NCAA rules governing number and duration of practices and then having to prep for the next week's game. Our D was fairly stout (all things considered) against Clemson, but now everyone has plenty of game film and is exploiting the limits of what one can implement in a short time frame. That's part of it.

The other part is attrition; despite what many have said, we had a fair amount of talent, but lost a lot to transfers, quitting and injury. Starting with a deficit of numbers along both lines, this has been devastating.

Maybe Geoff isn't the guy, maybe he should be doing things differently, but it's way premature to call him a failure.

Attrition was supposed to be such a great thing according to several here.

TechPreacher

Banned
The problem Johnson has was that he was this close to actually getting the program to the next level. He should have beaten uga in 2009, and then in 2010 Nesbitt got hurt. I think we’d have won the VT game and the uga game that year, and maybe the bowl, which turns 6-7 to 9-4 and 3-0 against uga. In 2011, had the touchdown against UVA not been called back and we could hold on against Utah in the bowl game, we go 10-3. In 2012, had we held on against VT and Miami, I doubt MTSU ever happens, and 7-7 turns into 10-4. At that point we’d have gone 9-4, 12-2, 9-4, 10-3, and 10-4. We were so close, but ultimately he didn’t get it done. It, however, shows that it’s possible but the margin is tight.

We’ll see if Collins can do it, but the early returns aren’t good.

3-0 vs the dwags would have definitely gotten CMR fired, and history would have been different from there on. I think there would have been a fan-shift in the state. Maybe only a marginal one, but nonetheless tangible.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Wow, this early to have a coach that is getting 25% of the board to believe he is a 2nd coming of BL, that is significant. But, I think that % is much lower if he does not lose to the Citadel, a bad FCS program currently. I have not even voted, because as I said earlier, it is too early to know on results, and his style is totally different than BL's. If someone forced me to vote right now, though, it would be in the affirmative, mainly based on what I have seen and heard (from him regarding our performance) thus far.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow, this early to have a coach that is getting 25% of the board to believe he is a 2nd coming of BL, that is significant. But, I think that % is much lower if he does not lose to the Citadel, a bad FCS program currently. I have not even voted, because as I said earlier, it is too early to know on results, and his style is totally different than BL's. If someone forced me to vote right now, though, it would be in the affirmative, mainly based on what I have seen and heard (from him regarding our performance) thus far.
Like you, I have not voted either. I don't like what i see from CGC at this point. My hope is that he can cut out all the saleman "pissing in my ear and telling me its rain" crap and turn the program in the right direction. Time will tell. I am not ready to vote yet, but I'm leaning.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Like you, I have not voted either. I don't like what i see from CGC at this point. My hope is that he can cut out all the saleman "pissing in my ear and telling me its rain" crap and turn the program in the right direction. Time will tell. I am not ready to vote yet, but I'm leaning.

I will be very surprised if we ever hear him actually confront the harsh realities (what he would call negativity, but a lot of us would call reality). I guess by "staying on message with his platitudes and catch phrases", it is believed that he can attract more talent to the flats. But, it is painful for my old ears to have to hear, because he seems so out of touch with reality.

Animal02

Banned
I will be very surprised if we ever hear him actually confront the harsh realities (what he would call negativity, but a lot of us would call reality). I guess by "staying on message with his platitudes and catch phrases", it is believed that he can attract more talent to the flats. But, it is painful for my old ears to have to hear.
One of the top issues with recruits in every poll / news story I have seen is HONESTY. Recruits will see through BS

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I guess it is the definition of mediocre. I was counting the 2 trips to the Orange Bowl as more than "mediocre" success. But, I agree those other years were probably just above mediocre. You know where I stand on CPJ and the advantages of his system at a STEM school.

Do you think some of our fans were embarrassed by the TO, because UGAGers and others made fun of it?

If they were not embarrassed by the triple option offense, they might be embarrassed by an offense ranked at or very near the bottom of just about every statistical measure and is currently being mocked on Miami websites. I just hope we beat them this week and shut them up for a while so they can go back to flying that "Fire Manny" banner they were going to fly before the last game until it was grounded by the weather.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

I voted "NO" for the simple reason that I think it is too early to be comparing Coach Collins to the one who will remain nameless. Given enough time, I think he will be a successful recruiter and be able to get the players to play hard. Will this be sufficient? That is the $64,000 question. (kids ask your grandparents about the $64,000 question)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't touch this poll with a fork. I've been critical of the new staff here and I do think we have a bunch of coaches - including the head guy - who aren't very proficient at their jobs yet. But that doesn't mean they can't be in the long run; they do have an incentive to do so.

Problem = will the fans/donors put up with really bad results for a long enough time? I doubt it. If we can't improve this year, then next year - The Season of Doom - will not be an improvement. I don't know if there will be a 2022 for this group, but if our recruiting improves, maybe so. We'll see.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Sorry for the late reply. During his introductory press conference CGC stated that they would be a player oriented system, he made it seem that we would see a gradual transistion and passing would be increased year over year (my read, not necessarily true).

Then when we got to the season we decided to rip the band aid off, so what we had was (again my read of the situation) a salesman telling us we would be player oriented (implying a gradual transition) to a (perhaps rightly) system where we are building for the near future with new system reps.

Sorry if its a bit rambling.

Thanks for the reply. I can imagine he learned a lot between introduction and toe meeting leather.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't touch this poll with a fork. I've been critical of the new staff here and I do think we have a bunch of coaches - including the head guy - who aren't very proficient at their jobs yet. But that doesn't mean they can't be in the long run; they do have an incentive to do so.

Problem = will the fans/donors put up with really bad results for a long enough time? I doubt it. If we can't improve this year, then next year - The Season of Doom - will not be an improvement. I don't know if there will be a 2022 for this group, but if our recruiting improves, maybe so. We'll see.

It's honestly hard to imagine big improvements until 2021. Next year we'll have an even more depleted OL except for the true freshmen coming in. Maybe Cooper and Lee can get back. That would help us a lot. But we're at a nadir talent-wise and it's going to take time. If the recruiting holds up, the powers that be will understand that we're going to have to bite the bullet and be patient. And even if they don't, he'll have 5 years to go on his contract, so either way...

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The only thing this poll shows is that 25% of the rabid portion of our fan base are idiots. Having lived through the mid-90's mistake, there are no comparisons between then and now. Come back in 2 years and we can revisit this poll.

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
So you find going 1-11, 2-10 acceptable .......after (as another poster has said). 1 losing season in the ACC in the last 25 years? I don't, and no one should regardless of the "hope and change" fantasy.
There is absolutely nothing productive that can come from trashing the current coaches or players. We have to be patient and give full support. It’s really that simple. You wanna whine on a message board about play calling? Fine. But don’t do it in “public”(social media), and don’t stop showing up and cheering on the team. We’re 6 games in, just toughen up and buckle up, we’re gonna be ok.

Animal02

Banned
There is absolutely nothing productive that can come from trashing the current coaches or players. We have to be patient and give full support. It’s really that simple. You wanna whine on a message board about play calling? Fine. But don’t do it in “public”(social media), and don’t stop showing up and cheering on the team. We’re 6 games in, just toughen up and buckle up, we’re gonna be ok.
So now I am being accused of complaining on social media? I will add that to the multitude of false allegations made by poster here.

Jmonty71

Banned
Funny enough, I mentioned this earlier... I questioned whether CGC matched Bill Lewis in some ways. Both could talk and bull**it with the rest of them. Both talked a great game, but didn't play one. Both promised a lot and one didn't deliver. CGC, may not have had the chance to deliver on not deliver. I do see some similar paths. CGC comes from an area where competing from recruits wasn't as tight. I'm sure you had you pass over of Penn St and such. After that, it was wide open. The Southeast is much different. The talent pool is more extensive. You also have 2 major conferences, all in one region. SEC, ACC. You can argue Conf. USA (maybe).... I can only go off what I've seen thus far. So far, I am not impressed. But, we'll see how recruiting goes and how he handles a poor performing DC.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Monty, Collins has recruited in the southeast at Bama, Miss St, and Florida. He built and coordinated successful defenses at Miss St and Florida (a lot of his UF recruits are now seeing the field and LSU not withstanding UF has one of the best Ds in the country). There are many who credit him for being the prime mover behind the fabled GT 2007 class.

Doesnt mean he will recruit well at GT. But if he doesnt it won't be for lack of experience recruiting in the SE.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Serious question...

Who left the program in better shape. Bill Lewis or Paul Johnson?

I would argue Bill Lewis all day long. The team was in a much better position to compete in year 1 under Oleary than year one under Johnson. Maybe CPJ should be known as P*** J****** from here on out.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Serious question...

Who left the program in better shape. Bill Lewis or Paul Johnson?

I would argue Bill Lewis all day long. The team was in a much better position to compete in year 1 under Oleary than year one under Johnson. Maybe CPJ should be known as P*** J****** from here on out.
Who cares all I care about is this year and why is beer so much at Disney World