Has Georgia Tech Football entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?

Is Geoff Collins the next Bill Lewis

• Yes

Votes: 70 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 226 76.4%

• Total voters

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
There were several....but TStan was committed to a complete demolition. There are lots of ways to write a contract.....incentives for performance milestones.....# of wins etc. TStan gave away the farm to a rookie with a sales pitch.
Not sure I agree with that, and unless you have some inside info (care to share?) I would doubt it.

I do feel Whisenhunt would have been a poor choice, but I suppose we'll never know now....

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Interesting. How many of these "former players" happened to play in an Orange Bowl? Just wondering.
I hear ya. It sounded like he got tired of hearing water cooler talk/ribbing about the high school offense. I was told that he said he was tired of three yards and a cloud of dust. I laughed during the off season when all the QBs said that they played in a similar offense as our current O in high school.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Not saying he is or isn’t BL, but compare each of their FBS HC before GT.
BR was 39-19-1 in fives seasons at Maryland and finished first in conference 3x. BL 13-21-1 at Wyoming and 21-12-1 at ECU of which he had one season that was 11-1. So outside of that one season BL was 23-32. GC was 15 -10 in his two seasons. The HC before GC had back to back 10 win seasons and is 6-0 at Baylor. The current coach at Temple is 5-1, I know their there is a lot that can happen between now and the end of the season and that Temple could collapse, but it is looking like that the two GC years at Temple was their two worst years in a five year span.
You may turn out to be correct......we shall see. My only point is that 6 games is too small a sample size to be comparing Collins to the unspeakable coach that heretofore we would never name.....

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Not saying he is or isn’t BL, but compare each of their FBS HC before GT.
BR was 39-19-1 in fives seasons at Maryland and finished first in conference 3x. BL 13-21-1 at Wyoming and 21-12-1 at ECU of which he had one season that was 11-1. So outside of that one season BL was 23-32. GC was 15 -10 in his two seasons. The HC before GC had back to back 10 win seasons and is 6-0 at Baylor. The current coach at Temple is 5-1, I know their there is a lot that can happen between now and the end of the season and that Temple could collapse, but it is looking like that the two GC years at Temple was their two worst years in a five year span.
Matt Rhule went 2-10 his first year at both Baylor and Temple. CGC inherited a team that had graduated Temple's best NFL draft class ever and a 4 year starter at QB. I will continue to fill in these conveniently omitted facts left hanging by the people with an anti-Collins agenda.

I am really curious about your and @Supersizethatorder-mutt 's opinion.

Do you believe that most of the people that are huge fans of CGC and his style are that way because they really do believe GT can compete for top 10 success by recruiting at a high level, OR do you believe they will be happy with mediocre success (after a few painful years) as long as they don't have to see the TO anymore? I ask this realizing that except 2 years, that is about all we had was mediocre success with the TO, due to difficult recruiting.

I will tell you guys that my gut (my opinion only) is that the TO and CPJ's personality "embarrassed" many, and they would support just about anything that is in an opposite direction from his style.
We definitely had more than 2 non-mediocre seasons under Johnson. 2008, 2009, 2010 (although it didn't end well), 2014, and 2016 come to mind as great seasons, certainly not mediocre ones.
As far as why the big CGC fans believe the way they do, I assume they believe we can compete by recruiting at a higher level, but until we sign those already committed (IF we do) and continue to do so, that is yet to be proven. I definitely believe some just don't want to see the TO again. The problem in their thinking is that there are lots of other ways to success than by using the TO that still involve, at least to some extent, using option plays. Look at the (few, unfortunately) option plays we have run thus far this season, and the majority of them resulted in big yardage gains. To stay in the shotgun, when under center has been proven to be much better, even in the pros, is just stupid.

I’m honestly not trying to be difficult, but why does anyone believe he can recruit? What is the basis for this belief?
Just because he has some good looking commitments doesn't mean they will actually sign. If he can keep Jahmyr Gibbs, and the kid lives up to expectations, then he will have formed the basis at least for some big time offensive football......IF HE GETS RID OF P'NUT

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
We definitely had more than 2 non-mediocre seasons under Johnson. 2008, 2009, 2010 (although it didn't end well), 2014, and 2016 come to mind as great seasons, certainly not mediocre ones.
As far as why the big CGC fans believe the way they do, I assume they believe we can compete by recruiting at a higher level, but until we sign those already committed (IF we do) and continue to do so, that is yet to be proven. I definitely believe some just don't want to see the TO again. The problem in their thinking is that there are lots of other ways to success than by using the TO that still involve, at least to some extent, using option plays. Look at the (few, unfortunately) option plays we have run thus far this season, and the majority of them resulted in big yardage gains. To stay in the shotgun, when under center has been proven to be much better, even in the pros, is just stupid.

I think you mean 2011(started 6-0) not 2010(had a losing record), but I agree with you. 2010 could have been pretty good too, if Nesbitt hadn’t got hurt. If I remember we were 5-3 and up 14-3 against VT when he went down. We would end up losing to VT and finished 6-7. Can’t help but think we finish off VT and probably beat a struggling UGA team that year with Josh.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Matt Rhule went 2-10 his first year at both Baylor and Temple. CGC inherited a team that had graduated Temple's best NFL draft class ever and a 4 year starter at QB. I will continue to fill in these conveniently omitted facts left hanging by the people with an anti-Collins agenda.
I don’t think this makes the point you think it does.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

I guess it is the definition of mediocre. I was counting the 2 trips to the Orange Bowl as more than "mediocre" success. But, I agree those other years were probably just above mediocre. You know where I stand on CPJ and the advantages of his system at a STEM school.

Do you think some of our fans were embarrassed by the TO, because UGAGers and others made fun of it?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think that was the case with some, and I think it extended to former players as well.

Personally, I believe that is sad, because none of them (the other teams) enjoyed preparing and playing against it, so they had reason to try to convince our fan base (and former players) that it was a "high school" offense. I think part of the reason I am frustrated that we did not consider keeping a large majority of that system (with Monken or other) is because we gave the competition what they really wanted.

With that said, there are more ways to success than just the TO, but recruiting will not be enough - hopefully, we have some great coaching to go along with much improved recruiting.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
The problem Johnson has was that he was this close to actually getting the program to the next level. He should have beaten uga in 2009, and then in 2010 Nesbitt got hurt. I think we’d have won the VT game and the uga game that year, and maybe the bowl, which turns 6-7 to 9-4 and 3-0 against uga. In 2011, had the touchdown against UVA not been called back and we could hold on against Utah in the bowl game, we go 10-3. In 2012, had we held on against VT and Miami, I doubt MTSU ever happens, and 7-7 turns into 10-4. At that point we’d have gone 9-4, 12-2, 9-4, 10-3, and 10-4. We were so close, but ultimately he didn’t get it done. It, however, shows that it’s possible but the margin is tight.

We’ll see if Collins can do it, but the early returns aren’t good.

slugboy

Staff member
Coach Ross and Coach Friedgen would be two people I'd be quick to become acquainted with personally if I were in Coach Collins's shoes! Both love Tech, especially Coach F., and would probably be happy to offer him friendly ongoing advice.

Ross is retired, but Fridge stepped back from being OC at Rutgers to be an advisor there. Fridge was an incredible QB coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
In other blogs, the lack of coaching experience has been highligthed. But the reality is in game changes to schemes have been non existent. I fully get the lack of players for the offense and defense we are trying to run. But at the end of the day, in game changes have been few and far between. The biggest concern for me is our defense has been hammered in every game since South Florida. Basic defense says you have to stop the run and we have been very ineffective at doing that. Yes bigger bodies on the D-line would help. But lacking that, trying run blitzes or something to negate rushing attacks would be helpful. Duke ran on third and long a number of times which they converted. Collins came with a big defensive reputation which has yet to materialize. At the end, I think that has been GT's biggest short-coming.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
In other blogs, the lack of coaching experience has been highligthed. But the reality is in game changes to schemes have been non existent. I fully get the lack of players for the offense and defense we are trying to run. But at the end of the day, in game changes have been few and far between. The biggest concern for me is our defense has been hammered in every game since South Florida. Basic defense says you have to stop the run and we have been very ineffective at doing that. Yes bigger bodies on the D-line would help. But lacking that, trying run blitzes or something to negate rushing attacks would be helpful. Duke ran on third and long a number of times which they converted. Collins came with a big defensive reputation which has yet to materialize. At the end, I think that has been GT's biggest short-coming.

In game changes are difficult when you've not implemented your full package; there's a limit to what you can do starting from scratch with the NCAA rules governing number and duration of practices and then having to prep for the next week's game. Our D was fairly stout (all things considered) against Clemson, but now everyone has plenty of game film and is exploiting the limits of what one can implement in a short time frame. That's part of it.

The other part is attrition; despite what many have said, we had a fair amount of talent, but lost a lot to transfers, quitting and injury. Starting with a deficit of numbers along both lines, this has been devastating.

Maybe Geoff isn't the guy, maybe he should be doing things differently, but it's way premature to call him a failure.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just because he has some good looking commitments doesn't mean they will actually sign. If he can keep Jahmyr Gibbs, and the kid lives up to expectations, then he will have formed the basis at least for some big time offensive football......IF HE GETS RID OF P'NUT

I pray that Gibbs (and some of the others) will honor their commitment and sign with Tech. That said, one high profile signing will not elevate this program as shown by the most recent example of Clemson. It will take consistently high levels of recruiting and better, far better, recruiting of linemen. The list of high profile recruits that did not turn out well at Tech is daunting going all the way back to Charles Dudish. Hobie Holliday, JC Lanier, and many others who were unfairly hailed as the savior of a program too long mired in mediocre recruiting classes. One man cannot save this program even one as talented as Mr. Gibbs.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Could you elaborate on the bolded part? I'm not arguing a point, but genuinely asking this. Outside of running an offense similar to the previous regime, what could we be doing to more maximize our players' strengths? What have we done better in the last two games in this regard?

Sorry for the late reply. During his introductory press conference CGC stated that they would be a player oriented system, he made it seem that we would see a gradual transistion and passing would be increased year over year (my read, not necessarily true).

Then when we got to the season we decided to rip the band aid off, so what we had was (again my read of the situation) a salesman telling us we would be player oriented (implying a gradual transition) to a (perhaps rightly) system where we are building for the near future with new system reps.

Sorry if its a bit rambling.