Has Georgia Tech Football entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?

Is Geoff Collins the next Bill Lewis

• Yes

Votes: 70 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 226 76.4%

• Total voters

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
SPOT ON!!!! I know Coach Key was an OC at UCF and was part of the winless season, but I would much rather have him as OC.... Just Saying!! I also think letting CDP go ASAP would bring juice back to the fans... you know...JUICE BUILDS JUICE
I don’t want him either. How about Kendall Briles? FSU didn’t give him the interim title - kind of a snub. Maybe an opportunity for us

GTFLETCH

Banned
Well the 2019 class had ZERO high school O-Line commits. The only offensive linemen brought in was Southers via transfer.
2015 - 2
2016 -2
2017 -4
2018 -2
2019 -0 HS, 1 transfer
2020 -7!!!(currently)
To put in perspective, Georgia who has what is considered a top OLine in the country has had classes of:
2015 -5
2016 -3
2017 -5
2018 -5
2019 -3
2020 -5 (currently.)

So not only is UGAg getting the highest quality OLine commits, they’re also getting significantly more of them. Which as we can tell this year makes a massive difference when it comes to injuries and attrition. I’m sure you could also look at teams more similar to GT (Vandy, UVA, Pitt, Duke, VT, etc.) and they might have different or similar numbers, but if you actually believe GT has done well to recruit linemen you’re insane. This isn’t a statement about either CGCs or CPJs ability to recruit, or the resources they have available. It’s simply statement of fact. Tech’s recruitment of OLinemen has been atrocious, and if you look at where UGAg is at, it will take several recruiting cycles to even have a chance to catch up. I mean, they’ve had TWELVE more scholarship OLinemen than Tech has in only 5 recruiting seasons.
I am not so sure you want to compare to Georgia....they have (2020) five 4-star OL recruits.... And folks on this board said we should not expect five and Four star recruits under Coach Collins at Georgia Tech... In fact the poster mentioned that as far as stars go, we will look much like CPJ era... two to four 4stars in any cycle filled by 3 stars.... So the issue isn't so much the quality of the OL recruit....it is the coaching needed to develop the OL...and CPJ OL Coach should have been fired after 2015....However CPJ stuck with him..... Hopefully CBK will be able to Coach up his OL recruits... We need ATL coaching if the CGC era is going to work out!

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Obviously GT isn’t going to get the same quality of player that Georgia will get regularly. That wasn’t the point of my post. But if the in state team with a highly regarded OLine is still bringing in 3+ players every year, why shouldn’t Tech? If UGAg has 5 4+ star linemen come in every year, why would Tech not want at least five 3 star players come in? One of my main points was that not only is UGAg dominating in quality, they are in quantity too. You can afford to lose players when you have 15+ more of the same or similar quality. You can’t afford to lose players when you only have 2 or so of the same or similar quality.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Obviously GT isn’t going to get the same quality of player that Georgia will get regularly. That wasn’t the point of my post. But if the in state team with a highly regarded OLine is still bringing in 3+ players every year, why shouldn’t Tech? If UGAg has 5 4+ star linemen come in every year, why would Tech not want at least five 3 star players come in? One of my main points was that not only is UGAg dominating in quality, they are in quantity too. You can afford to lose players when you have 15+ more of the same or similar quality. You can’t afford to lose players when you only have 2 or so of the same or similar quality.
Your post was factually inaccurate.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Your post was factually inaccurate.

This is one of my pet peeves on this board. A guy makes a valid point (that we have under-recruited the O-line) but he gets one thing wrong (the specific number) and you want to act like the overall point isnt valid. Those years we took 2, we probably should have taken 4. But we took a lot of a-backs and athletes and didnt sign to account for attrition. So we ended up thin. Iiwii

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
This is one of my pet peeves on this board. A guy makes a valid point (that we have under-recruited the O-line) but he gets one thing wrong (the specific number) and you want to act like the overall point isnt valid. Those years we took 2, we probably should have taken 4. But we took a lot of a-backs and athletes and didnt sign to account for attrition. So we ended up thin. Iiwii
One of my pet peeves is people who declare something which might border on malpractice but can’t be bothered to get their facts right.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
One of my pet peeves is people who declare something which might border on malpractice but can’t be bothered to get their facts right.
We did not take any high school offensive linemen in 2019. I mentioned that. I also mentioned we only had 1 transfer. Yes, there may have been some committed that ended up not being signed, but if they didn’t sign they don’t really matter to the bottom line of my post. Even if they did, it would still have only been 3 new offensive linemen, which would still probably be below average nationally over a 4 year recruiting cycle. Since 2015 Duke and Pitt have only signed 2 OLinemen once each. Those are teams fans expect Tech to compete with, and get upset when they can’t block those teams. But when you recruit below average on the OLine what do you expect?

Last edited:

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
We did not take any high school offensive linemen in 2019. I mentioned that. I also mentioned we only had 1 transfer. Yes, there may have been some committed that ended up not being signed, but if they didn’t sign they don’t really matter to the bottom line of my post. Even if they did, it would still have only been 3 new offensive linemen, which would still probably be below average nationally.
But your comment didn’t say anything about 2019, you used “years” (plural), and the context of your post was that we didn’t recruit linemen for the old system, though we had decommits at the position after the coaching change. If you just said line play has been bad for years, I’d have agreed. But you gotta get your facts right.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
But your comment didn’t say anything about 2019, you used “years” (plural), and the context of your post was that we didn’t recruit linemen for the old system, though we had decommits at the position after the coaching change. If you just said line play has been bad for years, I’d have agreed. But you gotta get your facts right.
I apologize I originally believed there were multiple years that there were no linemen to sign. How could I do such an ignorant thing? But anyway, the old staff may have recruited to that system, but the original point of my post was that they didn’t recruit enough of those players. The fact that walk ons are starting on the line is a testament to that. Your original point was that the line should be playing better than what they are, and the fact that they aren’t is the fault of the coaches. My point was that the line has already had issues blocking teams like Pitt and Duke recently, and began to give reasons why this was. It’s clear we aren’t going to see eye to eye on this issue so I’ll just leave it here.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
“Here's the thing about hiring a head coach. Don't look at the football stuff as much. It's about vision, organization and sales. You need to know what you want to be, how to get there, and how to get everyone else on board. The Xs & Os are secondary.”

Quote from David Hale, ACC journalist extraordinaire, on the just starting FSU search. Aka the Dabo model.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
“Here's the thing about hiring a head coach. Don't look at the football stuff as much. It's about vision, organization and sales. You need to know what you want to be, how to get there, and how to get everyone else on board. The Xs & Os are secondary.”

Quote from David Hale, ACC journalist extraordinaire, on the just starting FSU search. Aka the Dabo model.
I think for FSU he’s right. They can get a critical mass of players to overcome certain gameday deficiencies of the coaches. Coaching deficiencies at, say, Arizona (or their equivalent) are fatal.

stech81

Helluva Engineer

Remember Dabo has great coaches which we don't have the money to paid. Hence you end up with P'nut.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sewak made 50 % the salary of the uga ol coach.

The assistant coach is absolutely vital to recruiting.

Look at dl. The guy we have now has zero track record. Pelton was here for years and after he was fired - kind of faded away.

Sewak and Pelton were good guys.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
You can’t just look at star ranking. Rankings were skewed because we landed good DBs.

Look at what we are recruiting. Offensive lineman lineman. I guarantee you’ll see us land some large D lineman as well. Best RB since Dwyer. Best crop of WR that I can remember. More balance. An actual QB that is not an athlete first. 5-star DE transfer. 4 star WR, DB, and hybrid DB/LB transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Our we getting bigger olinemen & dlinemen?