Has Georgia Tech Football entered the Bill Lewis Era part II?

Is Geoff Collins the next Bill Lewis

• Yes

Votes: 70 23.6%
  • No

Votes: 226 76.4%

• Total voters

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that we haven't had many 4 star LOS guys in the last 15 years and still won and went to bowl games... I do not see any 4 star or 5 star LOS guys committed in this upcoming class.... so it appears we better find some Coaches who can guy 2 & 3 stars up!!!

I understand what you are saying but I also disagree to a point. Going to bowl games is no longer a measuring stick in today’s game. .500 teams go to meaningless bowls. And, yes, we won and I love me some Paul Johnson. Been a fan of his since GA Southern days. But we also lost a lot and looked completely inept many games. Think Minnesota. And the disparity between GT and the big boys kept getting wider each year. Which has led us to where we are. As a 50 year old GT alum/super fan, I know what Collins brings to the head coaching role just like what I knew Coach Johnson brought. Johnson’s mind for the option and offensive football is the same as Collins ability to recruit and inspire. Who was Johnson’s best RB at GT? Easy answer - Dwyer. Did Johnson recruit Dwyer? No, Collins was part if that recruiting haul. What Johnson did with Dwyer was outstanding. It’s not an either or proposition. And Collins will bring in 4 stars but it takes a little time especially since the guy was in Philly for a few years. What he did in last years recruiting class in just a few weeks was outstanding. What he is doing so far for 2020 is outstanding. I just hope good GT fans like yourself are willing to give him the credit down the road. In 3 years the Coastal race will be between GT and UNC year after year due to good recruiting coaches.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I understand what you are saying but I also disagree to a point. Going to bowl games is no longer a measuring stick in today’s game. .500 teams go to meaningless bowls. And, yes, we won and I love me some Paul Johnson. Been a fan of his since GA Southern days. But we also lost a lot and looked completely inept many games. Think Minnesota. And the disparity between GT and the big boys kept getting wider each year. Which has led us to where we are. As a 50 year old GT alum/super fan, I know what Collins brings to the head coaching role just like what I knew Coach Johnson brought. Johnson’s mind for the option and offensive football is the same as Collins ability to recruit and inspire. Who was Johnson’s best RB at GT? Easy answer - Dwyer. Did Johnson recruit Dwyer? No, Collins was part if that recruiting haul. What Johnson did with Dwyer was outstanding. It’s not an either or proposition. And Collins will bring in 4 stars but it takes a little time especially since the guy was in Philly for a few years. What he did in last years recruiting class in just a few weeks was outstanding. What he is doing so far for 2020 is outstanding. I just hope good GT fans like yourself are willing to give him the credit down the road. In 3 years the Coastal race will be between GT and UNC year after year due to good recruiting coaches.
If CGC can avg 7 wins or more a season when he leaves ALL fans not just myself will give him props....

The inability to pass or block at LOS lost us this game, not the coaches. They can only work with what they have. And the Pitt coaches have much more to work with.
It was definitely the coaches who called the same 3rd down play (and on a couple of 2nd downs) with the QB attempting to run off center through the line, and it failed EVERY TIME. How many totally wasted downs, and ultimately possessions, did using that same play produce? After it fails the first couple of times, why keep going back to it. THAT is coaching, and it sucked today.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
We are not writing off next year but we aren’t winning anything either so yeah, it will be another year of building, which is fine by me. I have no problem with the TStan/Collins plan. I endorse it. I’d rather take my licks for a couple of years and then be legit Coastal contenders for a decade or longer.
I really have a hard time understanding people wanting to see CPJ go because 7 win was stale but 2 wins this year and next year are ok? That would be their 2nd year anything under 6 wins next year would be bad. I don't care what the schedule looks like.

Animal02

Banned
I really have a hard time understanding people wanting to see CPJ go because 7 win was stale but 2 wins this year and next year are ok? That would be their 2nd year anything under 6 wins next year would be bad. I don't care what the schedule looks like.
I have a hard time understanding why people are willing to accept two or more years of double digits losses for hopey changey that things will be fabulous in the future .....with no proof, just lots of hot air hype.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have a hard time understanding why people are willing to accept two or more years of double digits losses for hopey changey that things will be fabulous in the future .....with no proof, just lots of hot air hype.
Relentless effort
Attack everything
Effort based
Juice
Master of Mayhem
What am I missing?
We have more slogans than first downs, qb pressures and wins combined.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
We are more competitive than the beginning of the year. In some ways that’s a credit to our coaching staff. In other ways, that kinda proves the talent level isn’t as bad as some of you guys claim.
The perceived talent gap has closed mostly due to experience. I mean, over the last 3 years Tech recruited as well as any other middle-of-the-road to below average ACC team according to the media sites. So it’s not like they’re playing with 85 FCS guys. There are a lot of guys that were outcasts to other P5 schools either because they didn’t fit a system or other factors. But Tech hasn’t recruited well at all on the lines, and that’s where the talent deficiencies are most noticeable, and that’s where most people are calling out the lack of talent.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
The perceived talent gap has closed mostly due to experience. I mean, over the last 3 years Tech recruited as well as any other middle-of-the-road to below average ACC team according to the media sites. So it’s not like they’re playing with 85 FCS guys. There are a lot of guys that were outcasts to other P5 schools either because they didn’t fit a system or other factors. But Tech hasn’t recruited well at all on the lines, and that’s where the talent deficiencies are most noticeable, and that’s where most people are calling out the lack of talent.
Completely right tre swilling is nfl talent and we have plenty of guys who could play at other schools and start TO especially because of his athleticism

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
I've thought about trying to bring Gatewood in from auburn cause the way P-Nut wants his offense to play with is with a taller athletic qb who can throw and i really feel like he would make the QB room that much more competitive

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I think because most of us can see big picture on how the program is going to evolve. Coach Collins may not have lived up to the hype so far, but also it does show much cpj was a mastermind. Cpj was great at coaching up talent, and it proved that the option was great for us. Any new non option coach would have struggled this year I believe

Have to look big picture, if we want to change back to a standard offence it's gonna take time

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think because most of us can see big picture on how the program is going to evolve. Coach Collins may not have lived up to the hype so far, but also it does show much cpj was a mastermind. Cpj was great at coaching up talent, and it proved that the option was great for us. Any new non option coach would have struggled this year I believe

Have to look big picture, if we want to change back to a standard offence it's gonna take time

Is the recruiting uptick big enough to overcome the coaching downtick? It appears we are just slightly better in average star ranking which is a much better measure of talent than the overall which relies heavily on numbers.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Don’t know what’s more disappointing, the loss, or lack of fan interest. It was freaking Homecoming and the stands were half full.
2 wins will do that,
Unfortunately even with winning seasons we struggled to fill the stands, this season isn't helping. We don't have a fan base like the big schools that show win or losing seasons
I wish this will change at least for recruiting

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Is the recruiting uptick big enough to overcome the coaching downtick? It appears we are just slightly better in average star ranking which is a much better measure of talent than the overall which relies heavily on numbers.

You can’t just look at star ranking. Rankings were skewed because we landed good DBs.

Look at what we are recruiting. Offensive lineman lineman. I guarantee you’ll see us land some large D lineman as well. Best RB since Dwyer. Best crop of WR that I can remember. More balance. An actual QB that is not an athlete first. 5-star DE transfer. 4 star WR, DB, and hybrid DB/LB transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of you guys make being a GT fan insufferable. This entire thread is a microcosm of the entire fanbase.

I laugh when I see posters here say "we need more sidewalk fans."

Yeah? No shadoobie .

Unfortunately a large percentage of the fan base runs them off.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I must admit that I am really getting tired of the whining. There are some legitimate reasons to complain and wish for better in certain areas, but most of what I hear is silly stuff.

Fan Loyalty-Some are complaining about empty seats. I remember last year. Guess what? There were empty seats. Want to fill the seats? Try something different (you know, the definition of insanity and all that!)

Coaches Suck-NO ONE on these message boards with perhaps the exception of some former football players has any clue yet whether our coaching staff sucks or not. I recognize that it is the fan's right to mindlessly complain, but geez guys.....this one is just silly until these coaches are given more time.

Our Players Suck-They are learning totally different roles and schemes. Same comment as above, give it some more time.

CPJ Would Have Done Better-This is the silliest and most irrelevant argument out there. Our attendance was certainly not rising, perception of the program wasn't skyrocketing. We did not lose a coach at the peak of their performance. MANY fans were complaining bitterly about the results on the field. Whether or not we would have gone around 0.500 and gotten our clocks cleaned by another average team in a bowl game the way Minnesota carved us up last year is as irrelevant a topic as I can imagine.

I for one want to see how this season plays out. I am encouraged to see this team sticking together and working hard and being enthusiastic and supportive of each other. Watching their excitement in the 2nd half yesterday did tell a positive story, even if no one really wants to admit that.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You can’t just look at star ranking. Rankings were skewed because we landed good DBs.

Look at what we are recruiting. Offensive lineman lineman. I guarantee you’ll see us land some large D lineman as well. Best RB since Dwyer. Best crop of WR that I can remember. More balance. An actual QB that is not an athlete first. 5-star DE transfer. 4 star WR, DB, and hybrid DB/LB transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Who did we beat out for these linemen? The newest guy I like.