#GTvsUNC Postgame GT 21 - UNC 17

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
1668928911386.jpeg

This was sent in an earlier message.

Our 0.31 epa/dropback is the highest of the season. We haven’t broken 0.1 all year (highest was 0.08 against Duke).

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 13543
This was sent in an earlier message.

Our 0.31 epa/dropback is the highest of the season. We haven’t broken 0.1 all year (highest was 0.08 against Duke).
0% run stuff rate isn’t great (thank god for holding), but UNC having a negative EPA/Dropback is incredible. Especially for an offense and QB as potent as theirs. What was their worst coming into the game? The fewest points they scored in a game before ours was 27 against Miami, and Maye threw for 300 yards and 2 TDs, along with 2 picks. Held him to 13 rushing yards too, the sacks helped with that number. All around really good performance out of the defense. Going to need an even better one to have a chance against UGA though…

For what it’s worth, UNC’s OFEI going into the game was 9th, and UGA’s is 5th. We controlled the possession against UNC, 34:27 to 25:33. UGA’s defense is on the complete opposite spectrum though, #1 DFEI to UNC’s #118. Which means our defense will probably spend a lot more time on the field than they did this week. Georgia is going to stop the run, no doubt about it. Teams are averaging just 82 rushing yards per game against them, the most they’ve allowed in a game was 140 to Oregon, and only Mizzou (102) and Florida (100) have broken 100 since. Have to be able to beat them through the air to keep the offense on the field and moving the chains. Kentucky gave us a really good look at how we can mitigate their defense by connecting on deep shots and not putting themselves behind the sticks with penalties and a lot of negative plays. It’s gonna take a miracle… but I BEE-Lieve in miracles!

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Man, I can’t believe what happened. I went to bed at halftime (Hey! It was 1:30 am for me!) commenting I didn’t like the body language on our D after their TD to go up 17-0.

I wake up, grab my ipad, and wonder how many pages the postgame thread is gonna be of people grousing, “Well, at least only one more game of this misery …”

What a great surprise! Massive, massive kudos to Anthony Thacker and that D to pitch a shutout against that UNC offense in the second half! That is an absolutely monumental accomplishment!

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You are greatly mislead; I doubt there is one person on this entire forum that hates Key. Why, I don't even know the person, yet I don't believe he will get the job, and I don't think he deserves it when there are other coaches out there with a lot more experience and the records to back it up. As a fan, I want the best coach for Tech, and from my perspective he is not the one.
We have some seriously bipolar people on here or they have multiple personalities. There's people that hate Key, there's one's that hate Thacker. It's not a matter of whether or not they're a good option, had the team ready, etc they just hate them & if you say anything positive they're blitzkrieging the board. I wasn't a fan of either of these guys, but the handwriting's on the wall. They can do more with less & generally that's what a GT coach needs to succeed. It's clear the way the program was being run from the top was more than half the issue. Without the benefit of spring camp, pre-season practies, etc they've engineered quite a turnaround on the fly mid-season. They were unfortunately part of the regime that drove us into the ditch & for some it's gonna take a while for that to wear off. They may not get the time.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I’m beginning to think this board is filled with surly curmudgeons who just like to argue. Here we have an absolutely beautiful team win and some are arguing about Key’s future with the team.

For the record, it was a great win for Key, no one hates Key and no one has said they hate Key, but the AD will make the decision about his future at Tech.

Now let’s get back to enjoying the win and dreaming of what’s possible now that Collins is no longer coach.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
Hell of a game, and always great to come out with a win. I'm still not sure Brent Key is the guy, but man has he made for a thrilling roller coaster ride. I thought he was out of contention for sure after last week, now I feel like I've taken another Key bump. Someone in another thread mentioned that Key won't win the press conference - I disagree 100%, that's one of the biggest thing he has going for him imo. The giddyness and pure childlike excitement Key displays after every win is infectious and makes it extremely hard to not want to see him to lead us to success, and he does a solid job of giving enough detail in pressers to know he's aware of our issues and working to fix them - really isn't much to take issue with. All of Key's wins have come down to the wire, but he's still achieved some things we just haven't done in a while. He's winning more games, and he's beating teams we weren't expected to be competitive with.

Hats off to the defense for an outstanding effort - UNC had several opportunities to win that game, and they didn't take advantage, but the defense I think kept Maye's head spinning most of the night. It was really good to see us getting so much penetration and making plays left and right in their backfield, something we've not seen the last few weeks. I was worried early on that with Sims and Pyron out guys would maybe not expect to win and only give partial effort, and we did seem to come out slow, but we got it together and finished strong.

Offensively, Gibson and Phomo did much better than expected - Gibson I think is owed more than a few apologies from some around here. I admit, I wasn't a fan of the qb-switching early on, but it worked out and both guys were able to contribute based on their strengths. The O line actually did a pretty decent job blocking tonight - some of that is probably due to UNC's terrible D, but it was good to see Zach having time back there. Had a few play calls I thought were bad - multiple handoffs up the middle on 3rd and long was kinda a wtf moment, but Long seemed to adjust at half time and really start taking advantage of UNC's weaknesses.

Special teams was again pretty special in the not so good way, thankfully they didn't cost us the game this week. Wish that fg attempt could be taken back, sucks to ruin Gavin's perfect streak because of a bad snap/hold.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
First, this will be the 3rd win by Key's program over a team that will finish the season with a winning record. That is 3 more than Collins managed in 3+ years.
Second, this is Key's 3rd road win, which matches how many road wins Collins had in 3+ years.
As bad as it was, that’s still hard to soak in. Thanks.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
It happens over and over again; I have seen it many times in my life. Look at Texas A&M; they had the best all time recruiting year in all of football, plus they already had good players and supposedly one of the college's best coaches.

Sometimes, a coach may have all the best players, but either he does not click with them or has done something that has really irritated them to the point they don't want to win for him.

Personally, I think it would be foolish of Texas A&M to get rid of Fisher and owe him all that money. I would let him coach next year. If I was the Ad, I would talk with him and the players to solve the problem. The reason our players are doing better is that the problem has been solved when Collins was let go.

I have nothing against Collins, but there had to be some problem between him and the players.
Sometimes the sum of the parts are greater than the whole. Too many prima donnas on a team can sometimes spell bad news.
I think Bear Bryant said the two worst mistakes is recruiting a bad apple and then keeping him.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clemson says thanks a lot, Tech. Now Clemson can pound UNC -- it won't, but it could -- and it means less to the playoff committee than had UNC came into the game with just just the one loss. I am of a scrambled mind concerning a head coach because this is a hire they have to get right, but this interim hire is doing a terrific job in my mind. He is really muddying the waters around the job.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Our defense kept Maye bewildered. I wasn't so surprised Gibson had a good day. He's been sold short ever since he took the field, IMO. But yeah, college football can be so much fun.
There were only about three of us who expressed the feeling last week that Gibson had it in him to be much better, particularly in his passing, than how he had shown previously. Big kudos to Johns Creek Zac and to the team and the GT faithful. I had crapped on the D early in the game saying they were playing in their cement shoes but boy was I surprised seeing the final score after getting home after the party my wife and I went to and having left my phone at home.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
This season has felt like 6 or so distinct seasons each with their own trials and tribulations to journey through like settlers traveling to a new land:
1. Clemson - UCF: a long slow march thru the desert with no hope in sight and waiting for the inevitable death. You question why you're even on this journey, but even more why you took directions from a conman.
2. Pitt and Duke: an oasis at last. A fresh drink that lifts spirits and provides hope, but tenuous in its grip and not a permanent settlement.
3. UVA and FSU: the springs have gone sour and we must keep moving. We lose our lead horse and struggle to make progress.
4. VT and Miami: we've found easier ground to travel and the progress looks good, but unexpectedly we lose another horse and grind to a halt. Morale is lost.
5. UNC: you've consolidated the remaining horses and parts from broken down wagons left along the way. You've lost some members of your party, but you manage to climb the highest mountain pass yet. It was a hard climb, but you've found a way to move forward with what you have left.
6. UGA: Donner pass looms before you. You will likely suffer losses going over it, but you have no choice but face it since winter is coming. How do we overcome this last challenge and does our team fall apart and resort to cannibalism?