#GTvsUNC Postgame GT 21 - UNC 17

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I waited to post because I was driving to see family for the Thanksgiving week so listened to the game on the GT App. A couple quick points from my extemporaneous notes from listening.

1) Listening to Football, even while driving down dark roads between DC and the foothills of the Shenandoah National Park. It gave the back half of the game an entirely different feel and listening to the Defensive performance and even the tenor and roars begin on the play by play, led to a really special memory for me. I plan to do the same for the UGA game (so maybe the radio spot will be enough to give us an unexpected edge).

2) Our Defense played like MEN in the second half. The heroics on the Offensive side are not to be diminished and being able to not only serviceably deploy - but get strategic advantage from a platoon at QB is the sign of legit coaching acumen. Both in game week prep / keeping the guys bought in when they're not out there and knowing what to do when they are; as well as deploying them intentionally. Bringing in TP in not just goal line moments gave us a nice change of pace.

3) Our RBs coming out of the flat as receivers get an A+.

After rewatching the condensed game film - and celebrating again today the victory - a few more things that stuck out from the film that I missed hearing it live without the aid or visuals (and also possibly as I split focus on navigating dark, winding Virginia roads):

1) The play of our TEs (especially at the TD with 48 ticks left in the first half on DS's run were big). They were finally doing things this game I have been pining for all season long from a 2 TE set from CCL. Please keep improving we will need you at uGA.

2) I knew the Defensive stands were something I wanted to watch on those turnovers on downs. It was somehow even more enjoyable knowing they were coming and watching the boys on the dark side. They are playing with some real swagger. When the Offense does their part and avoids quick 3 and outs, they have enough firepower on D to really do some damage. I hope we get healthy this week and come back with every bit and more against the dwags.

3) I am not convinced CT3 didn't get that fumble initially at 13:46 to go in the 3rd, only to lose it in the scrum, either way - heckuva play by the whole D starting with the strip from DD. That series was so clutch. It was the kind of thing that starts to rattle loose some of the confidence the opposing O feels. Tightening them up, a thing of beauty. CT3's tackle helped by Kennard at 13:17 was a tone setter too to keep that third and long. Then seeing CT3 in great coverage on the 3rd and 24 hip to hip and causing the PBU was sweet.

Carter saved our bacon on the fumble recovery (Felix needs to get some stick'um on those gloves) to extend that drive and allowing 2k to get the successful alley play on the screen and then scoring after holding the ball for almost 6 minutes. It was a modern day death march and beautiful to see.

4) That call back on the hold during the leaked RB sprint out for NO POINTS was sweet. Hope you enjoyed that empty wind sprint 21, you won't see the endzone again all game. If it is consolation - your teammates won't either.

5) I still don't know what we put in the OL's water at the half but let's get more of it for Saturday. Those pockets were clean enough to eat from, and Gibson did so the rest of the half.

6) The D's stand at 1:50 in the 3rd was worth rewatching a few times. The pickoff by Brooks was SO good. we come down and score, and from there on out you all know what you know. The Toss corner reverse to Carter at 13:20 in the game was so well executed. Then that final punch into the endzone, same concept with 81 leading and 2 pushing the RB into the endzone. Again - I see you Chip Long with your dual TE set. I want to see more of it please!

7) The Punt with 9 and change to go in the game was one of our best coverages. The 5th sack of the night at 5:25 felt like Maye might have woken up. He was playing with fire and then DD trips him to set up 3rd and 11, and pressure causes the turnover on downs.

Gibson comes in and manages the clock, converts a first down while milking clock and then TP comes in and milks it further and extends with some called QB keeps to get the crucial and final 1st down. Then we get that beautiful kneel down to win and Coach Key gets a well deserved Gatorade Shower.

In all, I am just so dang proud of our squad. It's a good day to be one of the YellowJacketFaithful and now it's on to the Men's BBall team to go snag another pelt for The Institute.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I do not mind the stunts on the DL to create confusion with the OL. It worked a lot of times and led to many sacks. However, to your point, there were several plays where the DE crashed inside, but the DT did not stunt outside, which left a huge running lane for Maye. It looked like a couple of brain farts by the interior lineman or end, but in general I like the game plan.

You make a good point about the stunts to rush the passer, but my big issue with the DEs is the tendency to duck inside blockers on outside running plays and follow blockers inside when the opposing RBs are coming their way and the DEs wind up too far inside, unblocked, and the LB or DB has to make a really nice tackle for a 7 yard gain. Look at the outside runs by FSU and Miami and note the DEs are almost always caught inside and often unblocked. We have good DEs in my opinion but our scheme puts a tremendous burden on them to cover receivers, make inside tackles, and rush the passer, but the priority on run plays never seems to set the edge or contain. In my opinion we overplay the cute and do not execute the basics of containment.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
You make a good point about the stunts to rush the passer, but my big issue with the DEs is the tendency to duck inside blockers on outside running plays and follow blockers inside when the opposing RBs are coming their way and the DEs wind up too far inside, unblocked, and the LB or DB has to make a really nice tackle for a 7 yard gain. Look at the outside runs by FSU and Miami and note the DEs are almost always caught inside and often unblocked. We have good DEs in my opinion but our scheme puts a tremendous burden on them to cover receivers, make inside tackles, and rush the passer, but the priority on run plays never seems to set the edge or contain. In my opinion we overplay the cute and do not execute the basics of containment.
Your are correct. They did not hold their edge well on may runs.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Here's what we don't know. We don't know the vision or what Cabrera has instructed him to do.

This is the current mission of the GTAA: "Georgia Tech Athletics will aspire over the next 10 years to create an innovative, inclusive, and world-class athletics program positioned to develop Everyday Champions who are leaders that advance technology and improve the human condition."

What's missing in that mission statement? The word "winning". Kinda strange isn't it that the primary mission of the GTAA does not include winning in it's mission?

So I can't judge Batt or his problem solving ability unless I know the criteria that his is to be judged upon. And right now, no one knows. Or maybe they do. But they aren't saying it.

I hope Cabrera lives up to what he said in his press conferences, that he's willing to spend what it takes to be competitive. That is my one concern. Will he go back on that and take the cheap way out. I'd be fine with Key or Chadwell or whoever Batt thinks is the best hire for our job. I hope Cabrera doesn't look at the check we wrote to make Collins go away and think about what happens if we have to do that again in a few years. He said what so many have been waiting to hear for 50 years. I hope he backs it up and doesn't get that same old Hill mentality, . That would be extremely disappointing.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And here I thought this was a GT specialty. How many times over the years have we seen a back up or second teamer come in and have a Heisman-worthy day, only to return to obscurity after his or her brief moment in the sun. Too many times to count. i would share names but, honestly I really try my best to suppress those ugly memories. ;)
Actually, the closest similarity to the game Saturday that I can recall, was the one in 1980 when we tied Notre Dame 3-3 when they came to Grant Field ranked number one. Whisenhunt was the quarterback but I cannot remember if he was a starter that year or not. He subsequently moved to tight end and found his niche. I was at that game, and came away thinking that the Notre Dame quarterback whose name I do not recall, just had a really bad day. Tech was selling out to stop the run and he was missing receivers. It happens to all teams eventually just as it did to UNC. Maye did not have one of his better days and he had receivers drop balls that could have made a difference most notably Downs in the fourth quarter.

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I waited to post because I was driving to see family for the Thanksgiving week so listened to the game on the GT App. A couple quick points from my extemporaneous notes from listening.

1) Listening to Football, even while driving down dark roads between DC and the foothills of the Shenandoah National Park. It gave the back half of the game an entirely different feel and listening to the Defensive performance and even the tenor and roars begin on the play by play, led to a really special memory for me. I plan to do the same for the UGA game (so maybe the radio spot will be enough to give us an unexpected edge).

2) Our Defense played like MEN in the second half. The heroics on the Offensive side are not to be diminished and being able to not only serviceably deploy - but get strategic advantage from a platoon at QB is the sign of legit coaching acumen. Both in game week prep / keeping the guys bought in when they're not out there and knowing what to do when they are; as well as deploying them intentionally. Bringing in TP in not just goal line moments gave us a nice change of pace.

3) Our RBs coming out of the flat as receivers get an A+.

After rewatching the condensed game film - and celebrating again today the victory - a few more things that stuck out from the film that I missed hearing it live without the aid or visuals (and also possibly as I split focus on navigating dark, winding Virginia roads):

1) The play of our TEs (especially at the TD with 48 ticks left in the first half on DS's run were big). They were finally doing things this game I have been pining for all season long from a 2 TE set from CCL. Please keep improving we will need you at uGA.

2) I knew the Defensive stands were something I wanted to watch on those turnovers on downs. It was somehow even more enjoyable knowing they were coming and watching the boys on the dark side. They are playing with some real swagger. When the Offense does their part and avoids quick 3 and outs, they have enough firepower on D to really do some damage. I hope we get healthy this week and come back with every bit and more against the dwags.

3) I am not convinced CT3 didn't get that fumble initially at 13:46 to go in the 3rd, only to lose it in the scrum, either way - heckuva play by the whole D starting with the strip from DD. That series was so clutch. It was the kind of thing that starts to rattle loose some of the confidence the opposing O feels. Tightening them up, a thing of beauty. CT3's tackle helped by Kennard at 13:17 was a tone setter too to keep that third and long. Then seeing CT3 in great coverage on the 3rd and 24 hip to hip and causing the PBU was sweet.

Carter saved our bacon on the fumble recovery (Felix needs to get some stick'um on those gloves) to extend that drive and allowing 2k to get the successful alley play on the screen and then scoring after holding the ball for almost 6 minutes. It was a modern day death march and beautiful to see.

4) That call back on the hold during the leaked RB sprint out for NO POINTS was sweet. Hope you enjoyed that empty wind sprint 21, you won't see the endzone again all game. If it is consolation - your teammates won't either.

5) I still don't know what we put in the OL's water at the half but let's get more of it for Saturday. Those pockets were clean enough to eat from, and Gibson did so the rest of the half.

6) The D's stand at 1:50 in the 3rd was worth rewatching a few times. The pickoff by Brooks was SO good. we come down and score, and from there on out you all know what you know. The Toss corner reverse to Carter at 13:20 in the game was so well executed. Then that final punch into the endzone, same concept with 81 leading and 2 pushing the RB into the endzone. Again - I see you Chip Long with your dual TE set. I want to see more of it please!

7) The Punt with 9 and change to go in the game was one of our best coverages. The 5th sack of the night at 5:25 felt like Maye might have woken up. He was playing with fire and then DD trips him to set up 3rd and 11, and pressure causes the turnover on downs.

Gibson comes in and manages the clock, converts a first down while milking clock and then TP comes in and milks it further and extends with some called QB keeps to get the crucial and final 1st down. Then we get that beautiful kneel down to win and Coach Key gets a well deserved Gatorade Shower.

In all, I am just so dang proud of our squad. It's a good day to be one of the YellowJacketFaithful and now it's on to the Men's BBall team to go snag another pelt for The Institute.
Midtown pretty much covers all that needs to be said. One caveat, UNC was a team living on borrowed time. A quick glance at their season results reveals a team that had won a lot of close games against less than formidable opposition. The pendulum was bound to swing the other way. Their game against State will be interesting as both teams are coming off a loss and they do not like each other. For UNC to win, Maye has to get his mojo back in a hurry and Downs has to recover from whatever his problem was Saturday. The amazing thing to me about out game was that we did not have our best offensive player, McCollum, and we were down to our 3rd and 4th string quarterbacks. Not to mention having three offensive line starters out in the fourth quarter. Truly, a remarkable moment against the 13th ranked team that had only one loss going into that game.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If you take grief from tennis players, that's on you. Sorry. :)
I have to be nice to them. One is a sidewalk Miami fan from having grown up on the Gold Coast, another is a sidewalk Clemson fan being from the upstate as its called in South Carolina. Another one is a Tech graduate whose father played on the 1952 national championship team at Tech. It takes all kinds.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Midtown pretty much covers all that needs to be said. One caveat, UNC was a team living on borrowed time. A quick glance at their season results reveals a team that had won a lot of close games against less than formidable opposition. The pendulum was bound to swing the other way. Their game against State will be interesting as both teams are coming off a loss and they do not like each other. For UNC to win, Maye has to get his mojo back in a hurry and Downs has to recover from whatever his problem was Saturday. The amazing thing to me about out game was that we did not have our best offensive player, McCollum, and we were down to our 3rd and 4th string quarterbacks. Not to mention having three offensive line starters out in the fourth quarter. Truly, a remarkable moment against the 13th ranked team that had only one loss going into that game.
I suspect UNC will "get right" this weekend. Rivalry, and anything can happen, but State has not been the same since losing Leary. I will be interested in seeing what the UNC offense can muster against the Tigers, though....