#GTvsUNC Postgame GT 21 - UNC 17

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
This season has felt like 6 or so distinct seasons each with their own trials and tribulations to journey through like settlers traveling to a new land:
1. Clemson - UCF: a long slow march thru the desert with no hope in sight and waiting for the inevitable death. You question why you're even on this journey, but even more why you took directions from a conman.
2. Pitt and Duke: an oasis at last. A fresh drink that lifts spirits and provides hope, but tenuous in its grip and not a permanent settlement.
3. UVA and FSU: the springs have gone sour and we must keep moving. We lose our lead horse and struggle to make progress.
4. VT and Miami: we've found easier ground to travel and the progress looks good, but unexpectedly we lose another horse and grind to a halt. Morale is lost.
5. UNC: you've consolidated the remaining horses and parts from broken down wagons left along the way. You've lost some members of your party, but you manage to climb the highest mountain pass yet. It was a hard climb, but you've found a way to move forward with what you have left.
6. UGA: Donner pass looms before you. You will likely suffer losses going over it, but you have no choice but face it since winter is coming. How do we overcome this last challenge and does our team fall apart and resort to cannibalism?
do you still think Keon got away with a hand to the facemask on one of his sacks?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I was traveling so I missed watching or even listening to the game. South Georgia and Florida are not prime Tech broadcast territory.

I said - and I come close to quoting - that the way to beat UNC was to play good D and sit on the ball like a slug. We came very close to that formula yesterday; the one stat that leaped out to me was that we held the ball 10 minutes longer then they did. The way to beat those guys is to limit their O chances and play good D. (Or outscore them, of course, but that wasn't in the cards.) We turned in the best D performance of the year - 6 sacks and 12 TFLs will do - and did just enough to win otherwise.

And, yes, I think Key's chances to be head coach just took a step up. I don't know if he'll get the job, but you really can't complain about the team's performance since he took over. The situation was dire and a complete collapse was the default. Instead, we beat two ranked teams away and get to 5 wins. I would move on, despite being a long standing Key fan, but this is beyond my pay grade.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I said - and I come close to quoting - that the way to beat UNC was to play good D and sit on the ball like a slug.
I don't care what offense we run, but I do think this is critical. Tech has to limit the number of possessions and you do that by controlling TOP. Ken N wrote a 3 page summary of the CPJ system and it doesn't have to be the option to control the clock, just good smart decision making. I was very impressed with how well Gibson called plays and worked the clock down in the 4th.

Dodd mentioned it. Others here have mentioned it. Hit hard, keep the game close and win it in the 4th. That has been Tech football for 3/4 of a century.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I don't care what offense we run, but I do think this is critical. Tech has to limit the number of possessions and you do that by controlling TOP. Ken N wrote a 3 page summary of the CPJ system and it doesn't have to be the option to control the clock, just good smart decision making. I was very impressed with how well Gibson called plays and worked the clock down in the 4th.

Dodd mentioned it. Others here have mentioned it. Hit hard, keep the game close and win it in the 4th. That has been Tech football for 3/4 of a century.
Interesting (and obvious) point about limiting possessions. Had a conversation with a mutt friend at church today. Gave him some grief about only scoring 16pts and his response was "well we only had 6 possessions."
If our D has their game of the year, and offense just keeps the chains moving (getting 4 when we need 3), it is possible...

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Interesting (and obvious) point about limiting possessions. Had a conversation with a mutt friend at church today. Gave him some grief about only scoring 16pts and his response was "well we only had 6 possessions."
If our D has their game of the year, and offense just keeps the chains moving (getting 4 when we need 3), it is possible...
I observed the same thing. UGA is gettable ... if we play our game.

I play a lot of No Limit Hold Em. Keep the pot small, win it on the Turn. I paid off my mortgage doing that.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Classic UGA math. They had 8 drives ;) 2pts per drive is not very good. They want pretty conservative late in the game and ran to bleed clock.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That is a lot of speculation from a warm, friendly hug. If Batt makes Key the new coach, I would have absolutely no confidence in his abilities to analyze all of GT's athletics with any sense of problem solving.
That's one heck of a (negative) leap. You honestly think you know better than the AD who has a search firm employed to help him analyze and select amongst all available candidates?? Bro....<smdh>

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I observed the same thing. UGA is gettable ... if we play our game.
Not picking on you, but as a general response to those who are optimistically posting about next week's game....

If we could face the UNC defense (#118 in the country) again, then you'd be right, we have hope. Instead, we are facing the #1 defense in the country.

It'll take tons of turnovers, luck, and help from above for us to pull off an upset.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
That is a lot of speculation from a warm, friendly hug. If Batt makes Key the new coach, I would have absolutely no confidence in his abilities to analyze all of GT's athletics with any sense of problem solving.
And I would have zero confidence in your ability to understand that ADJB had made an intelligent decision with full knowledge of all the facts about all the candidate options.

I mean, just damn. You don't have all the facts do you? Outside ADJB and PAC, probably very few people actually do.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I was traveling so I missed watching or even listening to the game. South Georgia and Florida are not prime Tech broadcast territory.

I said - and I come close to quoting - that the way to beat UNC was to play good D and sit on the ball like a slug. We came very close to that formula yesterday; the one stat that leaped out to me was that we held the ball 10 minutes longer then they did. The way to beat those guys is to limit their O chances and play good D. (Or outscore them, of course, but that wasn't in the cards.) We turned in the best D performance of the year - 6 sacks and 12 TFLs will do - and did just enough to win otherwise.

And, yes, I think Key's chances to be head coach just took a step up. I don't know if he'll get the job, but you really can't complain about the team's performance since he took over. The situation was dire and a complete collapse was the default. Instead, we beat two ranked teams away and get to 5 wins. I would move on, despite being a long standing Key fan, but this is beyond my pay grade.
Watching BK's postgame presser, it was clear that the coaching staff knew what it wanted to do and had to do to have a shot a winning, and the players bought into the plan and executed. I can't remember hearing a game plan articulated as clearly as that was.

So, IMO, we have a coach who knows what the team has to do to win a football game. That may have been true under TFG, but it feels like a big change at the top to me.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’m beginning to think this board is filled with surly curmudgeons who just like to argue. Here we have an absolutely beautiful team win and some are arguing about Key’s future with the team.

For the record, it was a great win for Key, no one hates Key and no one has said they hate Key, but the AD will make the decision about his future at Tech.

Now let’s get back to enjoying the win and dreaming of what’s possible now that Collins is no longer coach.
Well, I can't help but notice that the defense, in particular, just plays harder. Perhaps it is my imagination but Coach Thacker seems to have blossomed out from under Collins' supervision. A shutout of any team in this day and age is noteworthy but to shut down the #13 team in the nation with great receivers and a Heisman hopeful at quarterback is borderline miraculous.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Watching BK's postgame presser, it was clear that the coaching staff knew what it wanted to do and had to do to have a shot a winning, and the players bought into the plan and executed. I can't remember hearing a game plan articulated as clearly as that was.

So, IMO, we have a coach who knows what the team has to do to win a football game. That may have been true under TFG, but it feels like a big change at the top to me.
It would seem that Coach Key knows how to win football games and motivate players. He is just not as good at marketing and salesmanship.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
...or between him and the coaches....
I don't know and don't really care at this point. I am ready, more than ready, to move on from him but whether it is Coach Key or someone else for all that is holy and good, please get a real football coach and not some fast talking huckster who is a reincarnation of Sgt. Bilko. (Kids, ask your grand parents)

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It happens over and over again; I have seen it many times in my life. Look at Texas A&M; they had the best all time recruiting year in all of football, plus they already had good players and supposedly one of the college's best coaches.

Sometimes, a coach may have all the best players, but either he does not click with them or has done something that has really irritated them to the point they don't want to win for him.

Personally, I think it would be foolish of Texas A&M to get rid of Fisher and owe him all that money. I would let him coach next year. If I was the Ad, I would talk with him and the players to solve the problem. The reason our players are doing better is that the problem has been solved when Collins was let go.

I have nothing against Collins, but there had to be some problem between him and the players.
All of these deep pocket teams operate on the "greater fool theory" There is bound to be a greater fool willing to pick up part of the tab. I agree though that this kind of financial insanity will not endure.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Not picking on you, but as a general response to those who are optimistically posting about next week's game....

If we could face the UNC defense (#118 in the country) again, then you'd be right, we have hope. Instead, we are facing the #1 defense in the country.

It'll take tons of turnovers, luck, and help from above for us to pull off an upset.
and a bad case of salmonella poisoning from the bad fish on the UGA football training table. Our help from above.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
It would seem that Coach Key knows how to win football games and motivate players. He is just not as good at marketing and salesmanship.
I will always take a workhorse football coach over a showhorse “football coach.”

Hopefully, the GTAA will finally remove those “ATL” and “404” signs from Georgia Tech’s football locker room and the entire campus soon … and this also goes for all GT fan clothing and paraphernalia.

The brand, first and foremost, should always be:

THE GEORGIA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY.

Deleted member 6494

And I would have zero confidence in your ability to understand that ADJB had made an intelligent decision with full knowledge of all the facts about all the candidate options.

I mean, just damn. You don't have all the facts do you? Outside ADJB and PAC, probably very few people actually do.
Have you considered that Batt knew Key from Alabama and a good hug was proper.