#GTvsUNC Postgame GT 21 - UNC 17

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
This season has felt like 6 or so distinct seasons each with their own trials and tribulations to journey through like settlers traveling to a new land:
1. Clemson - UCF: a long slow march thru the desert with no hope in sight and waiting for the inevitable death. You question why you're even on this journey, but even more why you took directions from a conman.
2. Pitt and Duke: an oasis at last. A fresh drink that lifts spirits and provides hope, but tenuous in its grip and not a permanent settlement.
3. UVA and FSU: the springs have gone sour and we must keep moving. We lose our lead horse and struggle to make progress.
4. VT and Miami: we've found easier ground to travel and the progress looks good, but unexpectedly we lose another horse and grind to a halt. Morale is lost.
5. UNC: you've consolidated the remaining horses and parts from broken down wagons left along the way. You've lost some members of your party, but you manage to climb the highest mountain pass yet. It was a hard climb, but you've found a way to move forward with what you have left.
6. UGA: Donner pass looms before you. You will likely suffer losses going over it, but you have no choice but face it since winter is coming. How do we overcome this last challenge and does our team fall apart and resort to cannibalism?
I expect Key to have the boys hating uga with a fire inside by next Saturday. You know he wants this win against uga BAD. I don't want to say we will shock the world, but if anything, we need to stop writing this team off completely. Stetson Bennett is due for a bed crapping. Why not now.

THWg!!

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I expect Key to have the boys hating uga with a fire inside by next Saturday. You know he wants this win against uga BAD. I don't want to say we will shock the world, but if anything, we need to stop writing this team off completely. Stetson Bennett is due for a bed crapping. Why not now.

THWg!!

Hopefully #6 and the gang will be the in the backfield feeding him the castor oil.

slugboy

Staff member
Thank goodness we finally sent the back out of the backfield for a pass.

Calling the rpo w no chance of gibson running was never going to be effective.
The back out of the backfield is a big fraction of our offensive calls. About a third of our passes are behind the line of scrimmage, or at least it has been in recent games. Yesterday was the first time in a long while that we had a good completion percentage at it.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

THWg!!
I like this but in years past our hate has turned into personal fouls. I hope this doesn’t repeat. Just need some COFH!!!

Deleted member 6494

Sometimes the sum of the parts are greater than the whole. Too many prima donnas on a team can sometimes spell bad news.
I think Bear Bryant said the two worst mistakes is recruiting a bad apple and then keeping him.
That is true of both the athletes and the coaches.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
almost afraid to see the injury list this week. in addition to those missing at the beginning, we lost a few along the way. hope they all recover quickly, so they can be ready not only for next week, but the bowl game.
Honestly, I'm almost afraid to see the injury list NEXT week. :oops:

Deleted member 6494

We have some seriously bipolar people on here or they have multiple personalities. There's people that hate Key, there's one's that hate Thacker. It's not a matter of whether or not they're a good option, had the team ready, etc they just hate them & if you say anything positive they're blitzkrieging the board. I wasn't a fan of either of these guys, but the handwriting's on the wall. They can do more with less & generally that's what a GT coach needs to succeed. It's clear the way the program was being run from the top was more than half the issue. Without the benefit of spring camp, pre-season practies, etc they've engineered quite a turnaround on the fly mid-season. They were unfortunately part of the regime that drove us into the ditch & for some it's gonna take a while for that to wear off. They may not get the time.
There are always some that exhibits hatred; it is in their hearts. However, most of the pros and cons of a coach are a combination of all posters who prefer other coaches for their better qualifications. In fact, I would guess most of those who want Key are either personally friends or emotionally attached to him because of the record since Collins has left.

I would also suggest that the main reason for the upswing was the removal of Collins which would benefit any coach that would have been selected as the interim. Each athlete on the team would give their best shot to show their athleticism after being relieved of the main problem.

Brent Key should be greatly appreciated for his contribution, but the emotional hype from his boosters does not change the facts of his lack of past history as an OC, DC, Head Coach, no past won-lost records, et al.

Deleted member 6494

Clip ‘n save…I was at the game (live in Raleigh) sitting near Tech’s tunnel. After the game J Batt and Brent Key didn’t merely share a hug, or even a bear hug. No, this was a full on, full frontal manly embrace, the kind that says “if you promise not to lay an egg in Athens, you got the job, I promise.” We shall see. Maybe they were simply caught up in the moment, but I know what I saw.
That is a lot of speculation from a warm, friendly hug. If Batt makes Key the new coach, I would have absolutely no confidence in his abilities to analyze all of GT's athletics with any sense of problem solving.

Deleted member 6494

to be fair having the best recruiting class isn’t gonna show the fruits of the labor year 1. you really don’t benefit from a recruiting class til year 2/3/4 as the players develop and get acclimated to the college game. you probably won’t see the freshman really get involved till the latter half of the season
I understand this, but normally #4s and #5s become backups at many positions. The skilled positions can often use a freshman player at halfback, wide receiver, and even in the defensive backfield. The average recruit does not generally attain this benefit and it does take a year or two for them to develop.

slugboy

Staff member
I understand this, but normally #4s and #5s become backups at many positions. The skilled positions can often use a freshman player at halfback, wide receiver, and even in the defensive backfield. The average recruit does not generally attain this benefit and it does take a year or two for them to develop.

This data is from College Football Data. Texas A&M’s #1 class was #1 a really good class and they were top 10 for the previous 3 seasons. It’s not like they’ve been recruiting in the 60’s. These recruiting numbers are “you’re ready for the playoffs TODAY” recruiting numbers.

If you can’t win with these recruiting classes, what do you need?

yearrankteampoints
2018 17 Texas A&M 251.20
2019 4 Texas A&M 285.46
2020 6 Texas A&M 289.49
2021 7 Texas A&M 285.35
2022 1 Texas A&M 333.13

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That is a lot of speculation from a warm, friendly hug. If Batt makes Key the new coach, I would have absolutely no confidence in his abilities to analyze all of GT's athletics with any sense of problem solving.
Here's what we don't know. We don't know the vision or what Cabrera has instructed him to do.

This is the current mission of the GTAA: "Georgia Tech Athletics will aspire over the next 10 years to create an innovative, inclusive, and world-class athletics program positioned to develop Everyday Champions who are leaders that advance technology and improve the human condition."

What's missing in that mission statement? The word "winning". Kinda strange isn't it that the primary mission of the GTAA does not include winning in it's mission?

So I can't judge Batt or his problem solving ability unless I know the criteria that his is to be judged upon. And right now, no one knows. Or maybe they do. But they aren't saying it.

JacketFan137

Banned
This data is from College Football Data. Texas A&M’s #1 class was #1 a really good class and they were top 10 for the previous 3 seasons. It’s not like they’ve been recruiting in the 60’s. These recruiting numbers are “you’re ready for the playoffs TODAY” recruiting numbers.

yearrankteampoints
2018 17 Texas A&M 251.20
2019 4 Texas A&M 285.46
2020 6 Texas A&M 289.49
2021 7 Texas A&M 285.35
2022 1 Texas A&M 333.13
i do want to say i wasn’t downplaying what they had on the roster from before. i’m just saying that the class from this year won’t really show its worth on the field until late this year/next year

but idk now with the portal that is probably not the case lol

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

yearrankteampoints
2018 17 Texas A&M 251.20
2019 4 Texas A&M 285.46
2020 6 Texas A&M 289.49
2021 7 Texas A&M 285.35
2022 1 Texas A&M 333.13
Just to confirm that they have no excuses for their record this year - another view of their recruiting is that their team talent composite ranking is 4th behind only Bama, UGA, and Ohio State. Last year prior to landing the #1 class, they still ranked 8th.

slugboy

Staff member
i do want to say i wasn’t downplaying what they had on the roster from before. i’m just saying that the class from this year won’t really show its worth on the field until late this year/next year

but idk now with the portal that is probably not the case lol
ESPN and several other sites have lists of Freshmen have big impacts on their teams and conferences, including offensive and defensive linemen and linebackers. Skill position players really tend to be early starters and early impact players more often. Even here, Calvin and Gibbs made an immediate impact. So did Attachou. We can name others who played right here.

3* and low 4* players are recruited more off of potential. If you’re a 5*, you should usually be good out of the gate. (I know that DJU at Clemson hasn’t performed up to his 5* rating, and I think that’s a sign that the recruiting site scouts aren’t doing that good of a job)

Now, if you want to say it would take us a while to coach up and develop a 3*, that makes sense.

Maybe some linemen take longer. However, Fisher left behind a porous offensive line at FSU. Maybe he’s bad at roster building

If a #1 class doesn’t have impact the same year, then either the upperclassmen are extraordinary or there’s something wrong.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This season has felt like 6 or so distinct seasons each with their own trials and tribulations to journey through like settlers traveling to a new land:
1. Clemson - UCF: a long slow march thru the desert with no hope in sight and waiting for the inevitable death. You question why you're even on this journey, but even more why you took directions from a conman.
2. Pitt and Duke: an oasis at last. A fresh drink that lifts spirits and provides hope, but tenuous in its grip and not a permanent settlement.
3. UVA and FSU: the springs have gone sour and we must keep moving. We lose our lead horse and struggle to make progress.
4. VT and Miami: we've found easier ground to travel and the progress looks good, but unexpectedly we lose another horse and grind to a halt. Morale is lost.
5. UNC: you've consolidated the remaining horses and parts from broken down wagons left along the way. You've lost some members of your party, but you manage to climb the highest mountain pass yet. It was a hard climb, but you've found a way to move forward with what you have left.
6. UGA: Donner pass looms before you. You will likely suffer losses going over it, but you have no choice but face it since winter is coming. How do we overcome this last challenge and does our team fall apart and resort to cannibalism?
Good thoughts.Oddly last night I also imagined what this game meant and like you I saw a desert scenario.. Probably in the big scheme of things it was just an oasis,A very nice oasis but the truth is we are in a desert of a season. AND-we are about to go back into that desert. Will our survivor skills suffice both short and long term?We'll see.