#GTCamp2016

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Glad I watched Paul, press conference. I don't recall him being this relaxed before. he was funny too. Did I hear him say bull s***t? lol

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Shamire is gonna maul people. Worked out 4 times a day in the offseason. Didn't drop a lot of weight but did cut his body fat and increase his strength. His best year will probably be his senior year but he will be good this year also.
Hasn't he dropped close to 25 pounds though?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Shamire is gonna maul people. Worked out 4 times a day in the offseason. Didn't drop a lot of weight but did cut his body fat and increase his strength. His best year will probably be his senior year but he will be good this year also.

I agree with you...he's going to be a monster. I think he's going to be a monster this year. I always refer to the ACCCG game against FSU when talking about his potential, but he had a REALLY good run to close out the 2014 season.

Sometimes I wonder if people actually watch game tape when they make comments about certain players. It's not like Shamire was terrible last year, he just got winded easily and CPJ hesitated to pull him because he was a little slow to get out to space...which is important for our OGs in this offense. But when he put his big hands on someone, that was it. That defender was going nowhere. There's a reason why CPJ and many have alluded to Shamire as a potential NFL player if he wants it. When he was on the field, he was easily one of our best OLs. I shudder to think of what he can do when he's as committed as he's been this offseason.

It's a shame about Chris Griffin. The staff was really high on him when he signed. He proved why when he played early in his career. It's tough to keep battling injuries. This is why I wondered how some of our fans could already slot him in at a position he never played a snap during a real game. Fans need to pump the breaks sometimes when it comes to these things. We just never know how someone rebounds. I wish Chris Griffin well. This is why you choose a school like GT. If your football career doesn't turn out the way you want, you still have an elite degree.

Two OLs down already. Some of the younger OL guys are going to get a baptism by fire this year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
If you didn't know how good they were going to be how can you say it was a deeper group? If that's the case you're going by numbers which would mean we're just as deep now as we were then. Maybe I'm not understanding you but that just doesn't make much sense to me.

Ok. BB had two proven entities in Laskey, Days.
AB had 4 deep in seniors and another 2-3 Juniors all with significant playing time
WR started 2 Seniors with a bunch of playing time; both NFL guys
DB went 6 deep with alot of P

Lets compare to this roster. Its night and day; and I don't even bother to list LB etc or OL with Mason at RG etc....

BB...one guy with playing time
AB Sophs/RS some with playing time, some off injury with just a little time
WR, two with PT, but both not that great, so much the depth is bad paul has said Fr will need to play. A backup wr is a converted AB with no PT At WR.
OL is thin. All backups are no PT guys or walkons; and starters have guys with little to no PT as well.

Sorry man, I just don't think this is a DEEP team and CERTAINLY there is nothing to argue the deepest in Pauls tenure which was the original point here I was debating;

its young, young, young, and maybe someday has potential. But a deep team to me has experienced depth like you saw at various positions in the 14 team; not relying on RS Fr, Walkons, and So with little to no NCAA PT. To me that is a YOUNG team...and in a year could be deep but not today IMO

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Obviously there is a lot to be determined about our 2016 team and its depth, but I have to say, things FEEL deeper to me. Allow me to take the DL as a case in point (because I am too lazy to run throught the entire team at the moment). Guys like Branch and Glanton (who are providing depth) are way ahead of where, say, Francis Kallon was a couple years ago. Heck, IMHO Glanton (right now) is a better player than Gotsis was as a frosh. I'm not so sure if he has more potential, but there is little doubt his football acumen is better. If you look at Keshun Freeman, in a singular sense, he should have never been playing as a freshman. Yes, he played extremely well that year and took home some recognition hardware for his efforts. However, on a top 20 type team with depth, he would have been on the scout team building his body and learning from the experienced starters. Last year would have been his RS frosh year with probably little playing time outside of ST. This would be the year that the top 20 team would be "reloading" with him at WDE. His body is now ready enough to match his ability. THIS YEAR we have guys about the same level as his frosh or soph year playing behind him who are not forced into the starting line up. In fact, a couple may push him for time.

We cannot allow ourselves to forget that players develop when they work hard. There is a huge difference between an 18 year old BOY with potential and a 20 year old MAN who has worked his butt off for two years. Just because a kid wasn't making an impact in his first couple years doesn't mean isn't destined to become a better player than the guy he replaces whose eligibility ran out.

On the offensive side of the ball, let's consider the case of Will Bryan. We all read Flea's report that WB is now around 290 plus pounds and under 20% body fat. Well, if that is true (I will never doubt Flea), then you are about to see a much better player in 2016. WB was forced into service last year. He was generally effective but, more than anything, showed us the potential he had if he worked hard. The speed and tenacity were there, but the physical dominance was not. Well, it sounds like he HAS worked hard. If he is a lean 290 pounds then he is most likely destined to be a substantially more physical player than he was last year. Twenty or so pounds of muscle makes a huge diffence in the life of a guy in the trenches. He is coming into his manhood. For the most part, he played against MEN last year (a few teams might be an exception).

We are about to find out IF the recruiting classes of 2013 and 2014 were good and to a lesser extent the 2015 class. I will withold serious opinion until I see more, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if several of the "no names" turn out to be better than the guys we felt we couldn't replace.

well, if you think this is the deepest team in pauls tenure you are entitled to your opinion. That was the basis of my refuting. I don't think this is at all. I think if thats your opinion its grounded in potential not experienced depth....so for me that isn't a deep team. Thats a young team. When depth is unproven; how do you call a team deep? You don't know yet....all we can say at this stage is we have a young team, with backups we feel have the potential to make it a deep team. But to me, today, this isn't a deep team

we have walkons backup at OL. We have a BB backup with no time. We have a WR backup that was a AB move, so thin Paul said FR will have to play there as we are not deep.

So for me we aren't deep.

LB is uber thin; guys with no pt and walkons on the starting lineup
DB is uber thin; again super young.
DL could be deeper, but unproven.

Not sure how this could be pauls deepest team.

in a year or two could it be...yup maybe...if they are all still around. but today no way IMO

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
well, if you think this is the deepest team in pauls tenure you are entitled to your opinion. That was the basis of my refuting. I don't think this is at all. I think if thats your opinion its grounded in potential not experienced depth....so for me that isn't a deep team. Thats a young team. When depth is unproven; how do you call a team deep? You don't know yet....all we can say at this stage is we have a young team, with backups we feel have the potential to make it a deep team. But to me, today, this isn't a deep team

we have walkons backup at OL. We have a BB backup with no time. We have a WR backup that was a AB move, so thin Paul said FR will have to play there as we are not deep.

So for me we aren't deep.
I'm sure he was talking about Depth as far as numbers are concerned. And yeah it's easy to get your point across when you point out positions that aren't that deep. Didn't mention DL, DE, or LB.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure he was talking about Depth as far as numbers are concerned. And yeah it's easy to get your point across when you point out positions that aren't that deep. Didn't mention DL, DE, or LB.

LB is not deep at all. We have a walkon slated to start and the backups are Rs Fr and little to no PT. LB starter has no pt. How is that deep? Deep is experienced units that have backups with little drop off.

The only positions on this team I consider deep is AB, DE is probably deep, DT could be, but dudes are young...other than that to me we are thin and young

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ok. BB had two proven entities in Laskey, Days.
AB had 4 deep in seniors and another 2-3 Juniors all with significant playing time
WR started 2 Seniors with a bunch of playing time; both NFL guys
DB went 6 deep with alot of P

Lets compare to this roster. Its night and day; and I don't even bother to list LB etc or OL with Mason at RG etc....

BB...one guy with playing time
AB Sophs/RS some with playing time, some off injury with just a little time
WR, two with PT, but both not that great, so much the depth is bad paul has said Fr will need to play. A backup wr is a converted AB with no PT At WR.
OL is thin. All backups are no PT guys or walkons; and starters have guys with little to no PT as well.

Sorry man, I just don't think this is a DEEP team; its young, young, young, and maybe someday has potential. But a deep team to me has experienced depth like you saw at various positions in the 14 team; not relying on RS Fr, Walkons, and So with little to no NCAA PT. To me that is a YOUNG team...and in a year could be deep but not today IMO
I honestly didn't get what you were saying before but I do see your point. The only argument I have is you listed what guys did during the season and how some ended up in the NFL but before this post you said before the season you thought they were deeper but we didn't know days would be a good BB and didn't know Waller would step up the way he did before the season started. As far as depth goes for Juniors and seniors and playing time I agree. I do however think the team we have now can be deeper but they need to go out and prove themselves and step up just like guys did in the 2014 season. Cpj already said the D side is deeper.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I honestly didn't get what you were saying before but I do see your point. The only argument I have is you listed what guys did during the season and how some ended up in the NFL but before this post you said before the season you thought they were deeper but we didn't know days would be a good BB and didn't know Waller would step up the way he did before the season started. As far as depth goes for Juniors and seniors and playing time I agree. I do however think the team we have now can be deeper but they need to go out and prove themselves and step up just like guys did in the 2014 season. Cpj already said the D side is deeper.

D side is deeper than last year. I am comparing this team to his whole tenure. LB is thin...

anyway look, its a dumb debate to be honest. Depth only matters if you are tired or injured

bottom line lets see..I think in a year or two everyone's argument is more valid than today...thats my point

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
LB is not deep at all. We have a walkon slated to start and the backups are Rs Fr and little to no PT. LB starter has no pt. How is that deep? Deep is experienced units that have backups with little drop off.

The only positions on this team I consider deep is AB, DE is probably deep, DT could be, but dudes are young...other than that to me we are thin and young
Depth charts are not that accurate, and just because we have a walk on getting playing time doesn't mean he's not good and doesn't give depth, we should have 4 solid LB's imo, which I will agree that's not that great of depth so hopefully some new guys can step up.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
D side is deeper than last year. I am comparing this team to his whole tenure. LB is thin...

anyway look, its a dumb debate to be honest. Depth only matters if you are tired or injured

bottom line lets see..I think in a year or two everyone's argument is more valid than today...thats my point
PJ Davis, Brant Mitchell, Vic Alexander, Cooksey, Curry, Alford, Terrel Lewis. If you don't see talent there, then you are insane.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
PJ Davis, Brant Mitchell, Vic Alexander, Cooksey, Curry, Alford, Terrel Lewis. If you don't see talent there, then you are insane.
Im kinda I between the two of y'all. Really only 2 of those guys have made big impacts the others have to still prove themselves, they deformity have talent though, they just haven't proven anything yet imo.