#GTCamp2016

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Edit: Quoted the wrong post / too lazy to fix.

I talked to someone in the know about a month ago (forgive my memory if i misremember the exact number). But, I believe that Shamire was down to 365.

I'm somewhat reasonably hoping he's 1st team all-acc this year.

Like people above said, body composition is more important than weight, but still......365 is big.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Another way to think about depth is absent injuries, how many guys will rotate into a close game to rest starters and how much drop off is there when they do? Not indicative of certain positions like QB or C where coach prefers continuity.

For me at BB we have 5th year senior Marcus Allen who has looked good when healthy, and Dedrick Mills played a lot in the spring game and looked ready right now (blocking running and catching, college body). Barring injury, both of those guys will play some this fall with MM. So to me we have two guys who can reasonably be expected to fill the void.

Behind that we have Quaide and Besen who we'd have to call bodies, but at least we wouldnt be pulling guys from other positions. So for me personally we have average or middling depth at BB. One can argue Mills is untested and Marcus Allen is injury prone so our depth at BB sucks, and that's reasonable too.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Another way to think about depth is absent injuries, how many guys will rotate into a close game to rest starters and how much drop off is there when they do? Not indicative of certain positions like QB or C where coach prefers continuity.

For me at BB we have 5th year senior Marcus Allen who has looked good when healthy, and Dedrick Mills played a lot in the spring game and looked ready right now (blocking running and catching, college body). Barring injury, both of those guys will play some this fall with MM. So to me we have two guys who can reasonably be expected to fill the void.

Behind that we have Quaide and Besen who we'd have to call bodies, but at least we wouldnt be pulling guys from other positions. So for me personally we have average or middling depth at BB. One can argue Mills is untested and Marcus Allen is injury prone so our depth at BB sucks, and that's reasonable too.

I agree...

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I definitely believe the depth is getting better per CPJ. I do not think we are there yet. I really worry about linebacker and receiver the most. We're pretty much living on the edge like we always do.
I'm really worried about DB the most. Steph and Lance are the only two I recognized at fan day yesterday and they are unproven.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I definitely believe the depth is getting better per CPJ. I do not think we are there yet. I really worry about linebacker and receiver the most. We're pretty much living on the edge like we always do.

Receivers I am liking the bodies/prospects we are getting but it is scary until some of them emerge.

We can't lose Jeune, and both Jeune and Stewart have started a year and need to take that next step. MLD has soft hands and size to block but is unknown. Messick has always been a project...hopefully competition helps him evolve. Philpott has size and speed but hasn't been able to stay healthy yet. Howell is still developing and may be more of a project. Camp is physically ready as a tr-fr but D-1 skills are not likely to be there yet. Guys like Hawkins-Anderson(wheels!) and Dolphus probably need at least a year to get bigger and stronger.

While scary, it will be fascinating to see if guys emerge and/or take the next step. That includes blocking.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Step, Lance, AJ, and Corey come to mind ... Laurence and the transfer Simmons? have experience. I would say DB are my greatest concern out of the position groups. There are good players there...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
LOL. 5 haven't played a down.you are missing the concept of DEPTH. depth isn't just numbers or a potential. When you say a team is deep it means its proven. Not a what if. If we lose PJ Davis how comfortable are you at LB? Me? Not so much. Because the guy behind him hasn't played. That is not what you call a deep team. Tyler Cooksey? Come on...This is not why you call a team deep.

Look how shallow the secondary is.
If we lose MM for the year how good do you feel about BB? Me not so much.
If we lose Devine or Bryan for the year how good does our OL feel? Kinda scrambling

this is not good examples of a deep team. So I apologize if you can't see the point, that depth isn't about a RS FR or FR that has potential, its about losing a starting and filling him with a guy we know is more than capable. We have ALOT of positions on this team if we lose the starter its a big ? and we are left scrambling. The whole OL is rather shallow. The backups are RS Fr and walkons. Yes, this is concerning.
you are 100% correct. But only factories have the kind of depth you're talking about. We are not a factory, we will never be one, and we will never have the kind of depth you desire.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I look at the depth issues in two ways:

Do we have depth numbers at all positions to conduct efficient practices and scrimmages? yes. Do we have backups to give starters brief spells of rest during games without affecting game outcomes? yes. Do we have sufficient numbers to create position competition? yes

Can we afford to lose certain players for extended periods or loss for the season without it affecting win/loss of games?
J Thomas? no Burden? no. Klock? no. Devine? no. Bryan? no. Lack of depth at these positions can drastically take our O to a lower level which will affect outcome of games.

Gray? no Davis? no. Mitchell? no. However, our D performs at a level where the difference between the backup and starter has a lesser impact on the game outcome (we win games win our high performing O, not our very average D).

Will the loss of Butker affect the outcome of games? likely.

Depth is a issue with a lot of variables but the main driver is attrition at key positions. We have many positions sufficiently covered but there are some O players where we do not have sufficient depth.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Since we predominately play a 5-2 defense we have good LB depth (you can also add Jackson). The depth issue is more in the back 5.

Our base is a 4-2 (nickel). The missing LB plays nickel for us, a hybrid safety/linebacker. A 5-2 would be 5 down linemen and 2 linebackers, still 4 DBs.