#GTCamp2016

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
@AE 87 , do you think our defense will improve to top 35 in ppd this season? I'm not asking this sarcastically but interestedly because you're a very logical poster. So, if so, what are your reasons for this opinion? I'd enjoy some logical hope for our defense.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

This guy seems like a staight shooter.
Seems like he feels he is communicating with his players.

As I remember he has quite a lot of defensive experience. Maybe he is doing a better job of explaining what the dl is trying to do. It cant hurt to have three minds (cpj, seeak, west) diagnosis ing and helping counter what defenses are trying.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@AE 87 , do you think our defense will improve to top 35 in ppd this season? I'm not asking this sarcastically but interestedly because you're a very logical poster. So, if so, what are your reasons for this opinion? I'd enjoy some logical hope for our defense.

I'm confident in my bet. Don't ask me to talk 33 out of accepting it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Top 35 D? I'll bight. I won't predict that but it's a possibility. Why? Primarily an improved Dline. I think Freeman has shown he can play. This year has always been the year I expected big things from him. He has certainly matured physically. We can not afford to lose him though. He will be the most important player on D IMO. The other end spot is more likely to be a team weakness till proven otherwise. I think our LBs are deep and capable. Safety will be another big strength I believe. CB spots are unproven so can't expect all conference performances there.

We are much deeper everywhere this year except at DE (about the same) and in the secondary. I'm hoping a young guy or transfer can step up and be a non liability opposite Freeman. I think DT will actually be a strength for the first time in ages. That's primarily due to numbers there and more maturity overall. If the LBs can play effectively within the system, should be doable with our depth, and the corners can just be sufficient (again not a liability) we could possibly get to top 35 territory. Those are a lot of ifs even staying healthy, but it's certainly possible. If injuries strike in the wrong areas all bets are off.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nope. Just a realist. I have been a fan since the Dodd days, and it's hard to win with one hand tied behind your back. Even Dodd realized that late in his career.

OK, let's be realists.

We currently don't have 4* guys busting at the seams to commit to us. So, the guys we oversign are realistically not going to be better than guys in the program for a while.

Most years we're going to have to cut some older guys to get down to 85 if we sign 25 every year.

Do you think that will actually help recruiting if we start cutting kids to sign new kids, realistically?

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
OK, let's be realists.

We currently don't have 4* guys busting at the seams to commit to us. So, the guys we oversign are realistically not going to be better than guys in the program for a while.

Most years we're going to have to cut some older guys to get down to 85 if we sign 25 every year.

Do you think that will actually help recruiting if we start cutting kids to sign new kids, realistically?

Have to agree. We need some 4 and 5 star recruits (especially on D) to make a real difference, not more 3s.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
OK, let's be realists.

Have to agree. We need some 4 and 5 star recruits (especially on D) to make a real difference, not more 3s.
Let's be realistic we have 3 star guys that should have been 4 star guys coming out of high school. Our main issue imo is the D line, that's where we have struggled to get the big time recruits, but I do believe it has gotten better. If the D line is getting to the QB and eats up space in the middle it makes it a lot easier for the LB's and secondary, which we have very good players at those positions.

DT filling up space and pushing OL back = LB's having lanes to run into and allows the LB's to run free because it's harder for OL to get to them.

DE getting pressure = secondary getting more picks and makes QB's make bad decisions instead of being able to stand in a pocket and have a DB have to cover for 5 seconds.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Let's be realistic we have 3 star guys that should have been 4 star guys coming out of high school. Our main issue imo is the D line, that's where we have struggled to get the big time recruits, but I do believe it has gotten better. If the D line is getting to the QB and eats up space in the middle it makes it a lot easier for the LB's and secondary, which we have very good players at those positions.

DT filling up space and pushing OL back = LB's having lanes to run into and allows the LB's to run free because it's harder for OL to get to them.

DE getting pressure = secondary getting more picks and makes QB's make bad decisions instead of being able to stand in a pocket and have a DB have to cover for 5 seconds.
I'm not sure that's the case. Just during Roof's 3 years, we've had 2 major NFL guys on the DL (Attaochu and Gotsis), meaning they're in the top 100 players in all of CFB. So, recruiting rankings pushed to irrelevancy due to those facts, we've had big time players on the DL. In Wommack's time we had D.Morg, M.Johnson, V.Walker, D.Richard. In Groh's time we had TJ Barnes (still an active NFL player with superb metrics), I. Cross and J.Peters (both were 4* guys and seemed like pretty darn good 3-4 DE's to me).

How are we supposed to be better on the DL this year while replacing Gotsis with Kallon (or Henderson)? We might be a little better at the other 3 positions with the same guys as last year but a year more mature. We may be better, but we also may be worse.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Damn, someone needs to let CPJ know that. Sorry for the sarcasm, but that is like me saying earlier today that all we need to do is score more points than the other team. Every team needs players who are bigger, stronger, faster and more agile in HS. Those players are more likely to be better in college. We have to grow our guys and have less sure returns.

Let's be realistic we have 3 star guys that should have been 4 star guys coming out of high school. .........

Do you have any facts to back that up in general? Sure it may be true for a player or two as it is for all teams. If it were true in general, our D would be a lot better. In 2014, we had an abnormally high number of turnovers (+11) at the right time. (Think GSU who had us dead to rights until the turnover on their last drive.) Last year we didn't get those opportunistic turnovers (we lost them .... -7) and so we lost a lot of games. So our defense was about 62nd last year after being 70th in 2014. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef2014

I have to say it again though. All we have to do is score more points than the other team. Our 49-44 win over FSU in 2009 was one of our greatest games and is what I have in mind.

Damn, someone needs to let CPJ know that. Sorry for the sarcasm, but that is like me saying earlier today that all we need to do is score more points than the other team. Every team needs players who are bigger, stronger, faster and more agile in HS. Those players are more likely to be better in college. We have to grow our guys and have less sure returns.

Do you have any facts to back that up in general? Sure it may be true for a player or two as it is for all teams. If it were true in general, our D would be a lot better. In 2014, we had an abnormally high number of turnovers (+11) at the right time. (Think GSU who had us dead to rights until the turnover on their last drive.) Last year we didn't get those opportunistic turnovers (we lost them .... -7) and so we lost a lot of games. So our defense was about 62nd last year after being 70th in 2014. http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/feidef2014

I have to say it again though. All we have to do is score more points than the other team. Our 49-44 win over FSU in 2009 was one of our greatest games and is what I have in mind.
Do you have any facts to back that up in general?

This doesn't directly answer that, but IIRC didn't Brendan Douglas go from 3-star to 4-star when he flipped to Georgia?