#GTCamp2016

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
OK. I think I've got it.

At NSD 2016, we were at 84, including one for Ratliffe, and held one for the kid who eventually chose Cal. If he had signed with us which seemed possible at.the time, we'd have been at 85.

From the NSD 84, we then lost 6: Ratliffe, Griffin, Whitley to medical, kicked off John Marvin in Spring and later CJ Leggett, and also lost Whitehead.

84-6=78 +Muns =79
(gojackets.com Eligibility says 78 because they left off Simmons who sat out the Spring, but not Merriweather who was just shifted down a class with RS).

So, we're looking at a class of 6+13 (Srs) or 19 next year, plus any attrition.

We have the space to sign 20. We can switch a walk on ship if we need to....so if its 19 now; we should sign 20 and leverage a walkon ship if we need to

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I don't know what to expect from our defense this year. I quietly mulled that in my head during the off season. We are probably going to have to bring numbers to put pressure on the QB, although I like the depth we have on the DL. Gray and Mitchell will determine a lot of our defensive success. They are good tacklers and enable us to bring pressure and still cover. If PJ Davis improved his tackling, he would be a true force. I really like is toughness and motor, but he tends to have a hard time getting the guys on the ground. It will be interesting to see how our talent on D translates to the field.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Nah. The only true option correlation we have had was playing air force in a bowl and we stoned em. And they stoned us. Playing a traditonal team that sprinkles in option is not the same. Nor is a zone read scheme imo.

Clearly the academies play each other and are successful on O. So its not all that. Players matter too. But this off my point; my point is more about knowing what u have in camp not defending the option in season etc

I never said repping vs our o is crippling us in this thread as i dont want to get into that. What i am saying is its more a challenge at this stage to really see what u got on d vs a team like lets say uga. Or clemson. It becomes more evident early season which is one reason why the coaches love our schedule setup this year. We do things vs our O in scrimmages we would never do vs a traditional O.
I pretty much agree with this last paragraph, except there are so many wildly different offensive schemes very few teams practice against an O similar to what they see from most of their opponents. Why is it more of a problem for us than, say, a team that runs a full shotgun wide open spread? I feel like we get singled out for this in the media, maybe other schools debate it internally but with us it's a point used against us all over.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
"Your ego can't be so big that you're not going to borrow from other people," Johnson, the Navy coach, said. "The best coaches are a move or two ahead of the other guys. I think that's the kind of guy he is."
Interesting quote from a few years back talking about Bill Belicheck.......like to see us add a few wrinkles....be more proactive then reactive

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Right and I guarantee you on national signing day more than once we didn't have 85 on ship hence why we reward walk on's in the past those extra ships. Now sometimes we reward walk on's with those extra ships because of unpredicted attrition but many times we fell short of the 85
If we are - 1 on NSD, that way better than being +1 halfway through summer. It's also better that taking a guy on NSD that you really don't want just to make numbers.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we've ever had a camp where CPJ wasn't noticeably irritable after more than a couple practices. This year, he has seemed basically positive after every one. Am I wrong on this?

Friends, I'm thinking we may be on to a special season this year. Let's get it started already.

I'm guessing this means we will see a much improved offense this year. Maybe we can get a defense that's better than the ones in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013...if that happens, then I'll be excited.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
There's another college team a mile away. What if we could scrimmage our O against their D and vice versa? It would be a much better look for our D, imo. Would it break NCAA rules?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
I'm not sure, but that's a great point. Maybe 7 v 7 is allowed, but it may be hard to go 11s .

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
Not full speed. If you ever played you would realize vs a scout team arent close to live practice reps or live scrimmage vs your own O. Not close. My point is until our d goes against truly live action against a more traditional O we really wont know what we have. Even the coaches know a bit what we have, but there are still things to be learned in live ball.

Fyi. Half of scout team time is stopping. Walking through. Pointing to your assignments then runnin the same plays over to get a look. Its nothing like live scrimmage ball or game time. Nothing

Heck this is true with most teams. A little more true for us due to the O we rep against all spring and fall. Talk to a dc who coached here. They will tell you for sure there are unique challenges to prep your d in camp. Not that you cant overcome them. But unique.
Yes I played football in high school, and we went full speed through scout, after the walk through and scheme adjustments.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Alignment and scheme are certainly issues to prepare for, but good football players, low error execution, and few turnovers are what beat your defense. " tricks" only work against poor or poorly coached teams. A lot goes into building and executing a good defense, and how the other team aligns and schemes is a minor part. How your team competes, executes, and matches up is more important.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I would rather be plus 1 and leverage that walkon ship....

The only walkons awarded ships are final yr sr's (who don't really count because their ship renews the next cycle) and younger walkons who've earned it by making the 2 deep. So you'd advocate taking a scholly from a contributing 2 deep player to make room for a last minute prospect who odds of panning out are less than the regular prospects who's panning out is not a given?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
1560.jpg

Or that you just got schooled by cheese

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I hope he mispoke....because if he didn't just points to my issues I have with how paul recruits in numbers and how we are on self probation every year with unused ships. Its ridiculous. I get we have attrition after NSD we can't predict....but by golly not 7.
We agree on this!