#GTCamp2016

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Right, he said about that, iirc. But, we'll have 20 available as of today, 7 unused and 13 seniors. We should have more than that by nsd.

I hope he mispoke....because if he didn't just points to my issues I have with how paul recruits in numbers and how we are on self probation every year with unused ships. Its ridiculous. I get we have attrition after NSD we can't predict....but by golly not 7.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we've ever had a camp where CPJ wasn't noticeably irritable after more than a couple practices. This year, he has seemed basically positive after every one. Am I wrong on this?

Friends, I'm thinking we may be on to a special season this year. Let's get it started already.

let me off the concern side of this. If you listen to Roof and Pelton on the D...its not terribly encouraging to me.

"no one stepping out on DL"...they are all about the same is not a good statement; Pelton and Roof BOTH said this independently....they need that to be identified and can't name a rotation yet. A good statement would be "both Gamble and Freeman really are stepping up"; then you add that Kallon started camp slow and needs urgency. So for me these are warning shots.
no separation at mlb...a concern when one of those is a walkon who never got PT and is a senior now; and all of a sudden a starter. Roof said both struggle with consistency and need to improve and he can't name a 1 yet...again...at this stage..a bit concerning.
WR crew not standing out; CPJ joked a bit that, I don't know who the starters are let alone the backups. To me this speaks a bit to not separating themselves enough. Paul doesn't lie, he says it like it is, so for me this is another indicator of a position not where it should be. He did say they would more than likely start...which I guess means they are the starters...but just not the reaction you want...you simply what yes, they are the starters and are doing fine.

On the positive;
It appears the secondary is further along than we all thought it may be
The OL seems to be much more sure than it was, with really only one position in battle. This is nice
We know BB And AB and QB are solid

So alot to be hopeful about on O

IMO alot to be tentative about on D....

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Good post 33...the fact that the D has supposedly won its fair share of days makes me feel better about the undecided position battles tho.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Good post 33...the fact that the D has supposedly won its fair share of days makes me feel better about the undecided position battles tho.

yeah, but you know what, the D hasn't had one live rep vs a normal offense set yet....its all been against ourselves...as we know you can jump alot on our O when playing against them alot. Just go back to the spring tape to watch Griffin jump the plays from safety. If he does that in real ball its a TD every time for the other team....

I guess my point is, as you go up against yourself you don't truly know where you are and you rely on the position groups as an analysis. You can not be great on DL...but play well in the backend to mask it. and vice versa.....

We will see...I am just pointing out this poster is not convinced we are as good at DL and LB as some are floating around. I still say we are a year away from how people feel today

On O we may be WAY closer to 2014 than we have been in a long while.

amyway, I just feel bad when people get so excited preseason only to crash and burn game 7 then start posting What happened. What happened is we weren't as good as one thought as they became self over hyped...

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
yeah, but you know what, the D hasn't had one live rep vs a normal offense set yet....its all been against ourselves...as we know you can jump alot on our O when playing against them alot. Just go back to the spring tape to watch Griffin jump the plays from safety. If he does that in real ball its a TD every time for the other team....

I guess my point is, as you go up against yourself you don't truly know where you are and you rely on the position groups as an analysis. You can not be great on DL...but play well in the backend to mask it. and vice versa.....

We will see...I am just pointing out this poster is not convinced we are as good at DL and LB as some are floating around. I still say we are a year away from how people feel today

On O we may be WAY closer to 2014 than we have been in a long while.

amyway, I just feel bad when people get so excited preseason only to crash and burn game 7 then start posting What happened. What happened is we weren't as good as one thought as they became self over hyped...
That's what scout team is for... Pretty sure he said next week will be a lot of BC focus. The defense will play all next week against a pro style O.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
let me off the concern side of this. If you listen to Roof and Pelton on the D...its not terribly encouraging to me.

"no one stepping out on DL"...they are all about the same is not a good statement; Pelton and Roof BOTH said this independently....they need that to be identified and can't name a rotation yet. A good statement would be "both Gamble and Freeman really are stepping up"; then you add that Kallon started camp slow and needs urgency. So for me these are warning shots.
no separation at mlb...a concern when one of those is a walkon who never got PT and is a senior now; and all of a sudden a starter. Roof said both struggle with consistency and need to improve and he can't name a 1 yet...again...at this stage..a bit concerning.
WR crew not standing out; CPJ joked a bit that, I don't know who the starters are let alone the backups. To me this speaks a bit to not separating themselves enough. Paul doesn't lie, he says it like it is, so for me this is another indicator of a position not where it should be. He did say they would more than likely start...which I guess means they are the starters...but just not the reaction you want...you simply what yes, they are the starters and are doing fine.

On the positive;
It appears the secondary is further along than we all thought it may be
The OL seems to be much more sure than it was, with really only one position in battle. This is nice
We know BB And AB and QB are solid

So alot to be hopeful about on O

IMO alot to be tentative about on D....

ST only needs a punter to step up along with the punt and KO return ..... haven't heard much except Rodwell is still erratic punting. And a lot of people auditioning for punt / KO return. In fairness, the return game is hard to evaluate when we are playing ourselves. That's why I want to see the depth chart for ST ..... and we won't really know till the 4th game of the year where we are. I may make the 600 mile trip to ATL for that evening game to watch .... perfect tailgating and set up we are 3-0.

I expect a stronger O and more of the same on D. That would be consistent with most of the time CPJ has been here. And I agree that most of the optimism is on the O side.

But all we have to do is score more points than the other team. (tic)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I hope he mispoke....because if he didn't just points to my issues I have with how paul recruits in numbers and how we are on self probation every year with unused ships. Its ridiculous. I get we have attrition after NSD we can't predict....but by golly not 7.

I don't think the two issues are related.

First, my recollection is that we've been at 85, maybe 84, on NSD every year (allowing for things like expecting jabari back), except maybe this 2016. You may prefer oversigning with the expectation of attrition while CPJ prefers to balance known attrition with rewarding deserving walkons, but that's philosophical.

This past year, we had 15 seniors and 85 on scholarship and signed a class of 18.

The early departure of Hankins, Stargell, and Summers was known before the end of the season, iirc.

Gary Brown and Dante Wigley announced their decisions to leave late, iirc, but we were in on some big names that last weekend. So, I think we were at 83 on NSD.

Also, the Scout Eligibility board doesn't show Amp Simmons and Tyler Merriweather who are both on the team, so we are only down 5.

Since then, Chris Griffin, and Jake Whitley were put on medical, and Whitehead and Leggett are gone, while Muns was added.

-2-4+1=-5

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
That's what scout team is for... Pretty sure he said next week will be a lot of BC focus. The defense will play all next week against a pro style O.

Not full speed. If you ever played you would realize vs a scout team arent close to live practice reps or live scrimmage vs your own O. Not close. My point is until our d goes against truly live action against a more traditional O we really wont know what we have. Even the coaches know a bit what we have, but there are still things to be learned in live ball.

Fyi. Half of scout team time is stopping. Walking through. Pointing to your assignments then runnin the same plays over to get a look. Its nothing like live scrimmage ball or game time. Nothing

Heck this is true with most teams. A little more true for us due to the O we rep against all spring and fall. Talk to a dc who coached here. They will tell you for sure there are unique challenges to prep your d in camp. Not that you cant overcome them. But unique.

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

First, my recollection is that we've been at 85, maybe 84, on NSD every year (allowing for things like expecting jabari back), except maybe this 2016. You may prefer oversigning with the expectation of attrition while CPJ prefers to balance known attrition with rewarding deserving walkons, but that's philosophical.

This past year, we had 15 seniors and 85 on scholarship and signed a class of 18.

The early departure of Hankins, Stargell, and Summers was known before the end of the season, iirc.

Gary Brown and Dante Wigley announced their decisions to leave late, iirc, but we were in on some big names that last weekend. So, I think we were at 83 on NSD.

Also, the Scout Eligibility board doesn't show Amp Simmons and Tyler Merriweather who are both on the team, so we are only down 5.

Since then, Chris Griffin, and Jake Whitley were put on medical, and Whitehead and Leggett are gone, while Muns was added.

-2-4+1=-5

One year isn't representative of his 8 here. And over the 8 we generally have had this issue

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
One year isn't representative of his 8 here. And over the 8 we generally have had this issue

First, I mentioned my recollection of his tenure, which I think has been 85 on NSD.

Second, my calculation erred in that scout did have Merriweather. However, we also had a scholarship for Ratliffe.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
First, I mentioned my recollection of his tenure, which I think has been 85 on NSD.

Second, my calculation erred in that scout did have Merriweather. However, we also had a scholarship for Ratliffe.

Right and I guarantee you on national signing day more than once we didn't have 85 on ship hence why we reward walk on's in the past those extra ships. Now sometimes we reward walk on's with those extra ships because of unpredicted attrition but many times we fell short of the 85

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Right and I guarantee you on national signing day more than once we didn't have 85 on ship hence why we reward walk on's in the past those extra ships. Now sometimes we reward walk on's with those extra ships because of unpredicted attrition but many times we fell short of the 85

Well, if you guarantee, LOL.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

-2-4+1=-5

OK. I think I've got it.

At NSD 2016, we were at 84, including one for Ratliffe, and held one for the kid who eventually chose Cal. If he had signed with us which seemed possible at.the time, we'd have been at 85.

From the NSD 84, we then lost 6: Ratliffe, Griffin, Whitley to medical, kicked off John Marvin in Spring and later CJ Leggett, and also lost Whitehead.

84-6=78 +Muns =79
(gojackets.com Eligibility says 78 because they left off Simmons who sat out the Spring, but not Merriweather who was just shifted down a class with RS).

So, we're looking at a class of 6+13 (Srs) or 19 next year, plus any attrition.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Not full speed. If you ever played you would realize vs a scout team arent close to live practice reps or live scrimmage vs your own O. Not close. My point is until our d goes against truly live action against a more traditional O we really wont know what we have. Even the coaches know a bit what we have, but there are still things to be learned in live ball.

Fyi. Half of scout team time is stopping. Walking through. Pointing to your assignments then runnin the same plays over to get a look. Its nothing like live scrimmage ball or game time. Nothing

Heck this is true with most teams. A little more true for us due to the O we rep against all spring and fall. Talk to a dc who coached here. They will tell you for sure there are unique challenges to prep your d in camp. Not that you cant overcome them. But unique.
One thing that makes me put not much credence in the "our D is hurt by only seeing our offense" is the fact that we haven't seemed to be much better against option running teams than the average. You'd think if our guys were so used to drilling against an option offense we'd be better against them. I think it does have a slight impact, but it's generally overstated.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
There's another college team a mile away. What if we could scrimmage our O against their D and vice versa? It would be a much better look for our D, imo. Would it break NCAA rules?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
There's another college team a mile away. What if we could scrimmage our O against their D and vice versa? It would be a much better look for our D, imo. Would it break NCAA rules?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Yes it would. Summer unsupervised 7 on 7 is one thing, a coach-supervised scrimmage would probably get the NCAA ban-hammer down on us.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
One thing that makes me put not much credence in the "our D is hurt by only seeing our offense" is the fact that we haven't seemed to be much better against option running teams than the average. You'd think if our guys were so used to drilling against an option offense we'd be better against them. I think it does have a slight impact, but it's generally overstated.

Nah. The only true option correlation we have had was playing air force in a bowl and we stoned em. And they stoned us. Playing a traditonal team that sprinkles in option is not the same. Nor is a zone read scheme imo.

Clearly the academies play each other and are successful on O. So its not all that. Players matter too. But this off my point; my point is more about knowing what u have in camp not defending the option in season etc

I never said repping vs our o is crippling us in this thread as i dont want to get into that. What i am saying is its more a challenge at this stage to really see what u got on d vs a team like lets say uga. Or clemson. It becomes more evident early season which is one reason why the coaches love our schedule setup this year. We do things vs our O in scrimmages we would never do vs a traditional O.