#GTCamp20 Coverage

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Lighten up? Lol. I'm not the one hung up on height. A playmaker is a playmaker.
The only one that might be hung up on height is CDP. He's the one that brought it up. He's the one that said he was 5'10". The only thing about height discussed here was the correction of @bwelbo that Yates is 5'10" not 6'0" as listed on the roster. No one is debating whether he's a playmaker or whether he'll be successful. People read way too much into what others write on a fan message board.

LibertyTurns

Banned
The only one that might be hung up on height is CDP. He's the one that brought it up. He's the one that said he was 5'10". The only thing about height discussed here was the correction of @bwelbo that Yates is 5'10" not 6'0" as listed on the roster. No one is debating whether he's a playmaker or whether he'll be successful. People read way too much into what others write on a fan message board.
Why does Pnut care about how tall Yates is if he’s the best QB? Our offense should be pretty basic:

A. Give Mason the ball 20-25 times a game
B. Run Howard 6-8 times, Griffin 4-5 times a game
C. 6-8 passes to Brown
D. 12-15 passes to everyone else
E. Rest would probably be mop up duty if we get over 60 plays, Take your pick.

Put the best player under center, practice the damn plays until they got them down & integrate more complex schemes, etc as the offense displays the capability of handling the additional complexity.

We should know what to do in year 2 after the training wheels year. Damn near everybody knows what to do by now even the most casual fan.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Why does Pnut care about how tall Yates is if he’s the best QB? Our offense should be pretty basic:

C. 6-8 passes to Brown

Put the best player under center, practice the damn plays until they got them down & integrate more complex schemes, etc as the offense displays the capability of handling the additional complexity.

We should know what to do in year 2 after the training wheels year. Damn near everybody knows what to do by now even the most casual fan.
Howard is a LB now...

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

C. 6-8 passes to Brown

Are you RIp Scherer? Reminds me of play calling from the Curry years.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

C. 6-8 passes to Brown

I'm not disagreeing with you, but you'd have to ask him. He's the one that mentioned he was 5'10" when asked about the strengths and weaknesses of each of the 4 QB's. Cream rises to the top, regardless...

Scubapro

Banned
Interesting that you claim he will divide the fanbase when you are the one beating this drum against him after a season when we had basically no chance given the circumstances with our roster. BTW I would also suggest you take a look at the QBs be had to work with at Temple and how he left them versus how he found them.
OK. My apologies for trying to point out the obvious short comings of the Great Dave Patenaude.
I will put on my blinders and grab a tall glass of cool aid while I ponder why dear old Dave isnt in the pantheon of college offensive coaches.
It's not his fault he has languished around places like Hofstra, Holy Cross, and Georgetown. It should be easy to see he as good or better than maybe Friegen, Norm Chow, Lincoln Riley, Art Briles, Mike Gundy, Chip Kelly.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
OK. My apologies for trying to point out the obvious short comings of the Great Dave Patenaude.
I will put on my blinders and grab a tall glass of cool aid while I ponder why dear old Dave isnt in the pantheon of college offensive coaches.
It's not his fault he has languished around places like Hofstra, Holy Cross, and Georgetown. It should be easy to see he as good or better than maybe Friegen, Norm Chow, Lincoln Riley, Art Briles, Mike Gundy, Chip Kelly.
Agreed.

I can't tell you how many times I facepalmed last year at Coach Dave Patenaude's play calls. It felt like every time he called a great play call he had two more bad ones and it was actually the talent of our players that saved us, like Graham making a great throw or one of our receivers making a great catch.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Howard is a LB now...
Well I wouldn’t have moved our 2nd best RB to LB, but I guess we’ve got a weakness there and enough good RBs to carry the load. I understand the logic but our offense was putrid last year.

Are you RIp Scherer? Reminds me of play calling from the Curry years.
We need to play the hand we have not the one we wish we had. If we learned anything from last year it should have been that.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
As much as I’d like 3k yards, 25+ tds in 21-22, keep in mind our QB starter is likely to be a sophomore that year. Only 5 sophomores were able to achieve 3k yards last year and only 4 did both 3k and 25+. 3 Feshman pulled off those stats. If we can get to 2500+ and 20+ tds by 21-22 season, I’d be thrilled. I’m looking for 60%+ completion, and minimizing ints. I expect a balanced run/pass offense until we have upper class men QBs. That in combination with an improved defense should produce a winning season.

Tech hasn’t exactly been blessed with great passing QBs since Godsey. Based on our Pre option GT passing stats since Godsey (Godsey and Hamilton played less games per season)

2007: Taylor Bennett: 49.5%, 2136 yds, 7 TDs, 9 Int
2006: Reggie Ball: 44.4% 1820 yds, 20 tds, 14 int
2005: Reggie Ball: 48.7% 2165 yds, 11 tds, 12 ints
2004: Reggie Ball: 49.7% 2147 yds, 16 tds, 18 int
2003: Reggie Ball: 51.7%, 1996 yds, 10 tds, 11 ints
2002: AJ Suggs: 57.3%, 2242 yds, 12 tds, 15 ints
2001: George Godsey: 64.8%, 3085 yds,18 tds, 11 int
2000: George Godsey: 63.6%, 2906 yds, 23 tds, 6 int
1999: Joe Hamilton: 66.6%, 3060, 29 TDs, 11 int
1998: Joe Hamilton: 56%, 2166 yds, 17 tds, 8 int

Our last couple triple option years we were about 1000 yds passing; however, there were years where we exceeded 1700 passing yards.
My point is... with our new recruiting skills I expect us to land those program changing QBs that are going to be in the Heisman race as Freshman or sophomores. I don't know if coach P has the skill set to groom a QB into a superstar and household name. We need that at GT in more than one way. Branding, attention to the program, and wins.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Being short is an issue for QBs. It's not to say it's an insurmountable one that can't be overcome, as some examples have shown, but it's silly to act like it is no issue. Maybe Yates can overcome it, maybe not.

My point is... with our new recruiting skills I expect us to land those program changing QBs that are going to be in the Heisman race as Freshman or sophomores.

This is a ridiculous expectation.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
He was asked strengths and weakness and the ONLY thing he could come up with on Yates is his height. He then spoke about how he overcomes it. Sounds like he doesn’t fee he has any real weakness to me. It came across as him being very high on Jordan. I seriously wonder if some people can actually understand context when they read something.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Agreed.

I can't tell you how many times I facepalmed last year at Coach Dave Patenaude's play calls. It felt like every time he called a great play call he had two more bad ones and it was actually the talent of our players that saved us, like Graham making a great throw or one of our receivers making a great catch.
I facepalmed more when players blew the play from the snap. Hard to call plays when you don’t know what players are going to do.

Milwaukee

Banned

Lighten up Francis lmao

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
He was asked strengths and weakness and the ONLY thing he could come up with on Yates is his height. He then spoke about how he overcomes it. Sounds like he doesn’t fee he has any real weakness to me. It came across as him being very high on Jordan. I seriously wonder if some people can actually understand context when they read something.
I don't really understand what you're trying to say in your last sentence, but if you're referring to me, you need to either read more slowly so you actually comprehend what you're reading or take a course. If you're not talking about me, then, never mind.

Specifically, CDP said one of his weaknesses was that he is 5'10". He considers it a weakness. He also said that Yates was super smart and that he finds ways to overcome his weaknesses. No one in this entire thread said ANYTHING negative about Yates. My comment was in response to someone who said he "wasn't the one hung up on height," and my response was "the only one that MIGHT be hung up on height is CDP," not that he was. NO ONE has said that Yates being 5'10" meant he wouldn't be the best of the bunch.

I don't get it, why do people come on here looking to pick a fight?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Haha, but our current OL also has 3 inches on JT’s OL! I kid. For the record, I don’t buy into the whole “he can’t see over the line” thing. Just look at Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray. You don’t find many OLs bigger than Oklahoma’s, yet the NFL scout experts always used that argument to knock a dude’s height. Like, OU’s OL is bigger/taller than a lot of NFL lines.
Don't forget Russell Wilson

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I don't really understand what you're trying to say in your last sentence, but if you're referring to me, you need to either read more slowly so you actually comprehend what you're reading or take a course. If you're not talking about me, then, never mind.

Specifically, CDP said one of his weaknesses was that he is 5'10". He considers it a weakness. He also said that Yates was super smart and that he finds ways to overcome his weaknesses. No one in this entire thread said ANYTHING negative about Yates. My comment was in response to someone who said he "wasn't the one hung up on height," and my response was "the only one that MIGHT be hung up on height is CDP," not that he was. NO ONE has said that Yates being 5'10" meant he wouldn't be the best of the bunch.

I don't get it, why do people come on here looking to pick a fight?
You were the last one to mention the interview so it’s the one I responded to. Sorry. Others have claimed CDP does see it as an issue and would even start someone else even if he was the best QB. What i took from the 8nterviewmis that coach thinks very highly of him.