#GTCamp20 Coverage

Milwaukee

Banned
I don't really understand what you're trying to say in your last sentence, but if you're referring to me, you need to either read more slowly so you actually comprehend what you're reading or take a course. If you're not talking about me, then, never mind.

Specifically, CDP said one of his weaknesses was that he is 5'10". He considers it a weakness. He also said that Yates was super smart and that he finds ways to overcome his weaknesses. No one in this entire thread said ANYTHING negative about Yates. My comment was in response to someone who said he "wasn't the one hung up on height," and my response was "the only one that MIGHT be hung up on height is CDP," not that he was. NO ONE has said that Yates being 5'10" meant he wouldn't be the best of the bunch.

I don't get it, why do people come on here looking to pick a fight?

Read your condescending, passive aggressive 1st paragraph and then your last sentence and look for the irony. Settle down.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
My point is... with our new recruiting skills I expect us to land those program changing QBs that are going to be in the Heisman race as Freshman or sophomores. I don't know if coach P has the skill set to groom a QB into a superstar and household name. We need that at GT in more than one way. Branding, attention to the program, and wins.
This is some funny stuff right here. You do realize we are still GT. We may luck up on one but why is that the expectation? Realistically there are about 5 teams that should have that expectation yearly.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
This is some funny stuff right here. You do realize we are still GT. We may luck up on one but why is that the expectation? Realistically there are about 5 teams that should have that expectation yearly.
If we don't work towards that and expect the best why even play? Dumb mentality of losers. This fan base has been brainwashed to think we are just a bunch of losers who get lucky every once in a while.

What a joke of a mentality.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I facepalmed more when players blew the play from the snap. Hard to call plays when you don’t know what players are going to do.
That’s why you don’t introduce a thousand different plays with a completely new offense. You build a base of plays fitting the talent of the players you have & as the season goes along you add on as you’re able to train them your way. You recruit players to fit your scheme and based on how successful you are you can either go faster or slower. With more players for your style each year you can add more and more until your have your full offense installed. This isn’t gene splicing atom splitting rocket surgery. It’s the same thng you do if you take over a tire factory, a research lab or a group of Engineers. You establish a base and evolve from there. You don’t blow up the building & hope it all works out.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
If we don't work towards that and expect the best why even play? Dumb mentality of losers. This fan base has been brainwashed to think we are just a bunch of losers who get lucky every once in a while.

Why would I expect us to land a qb who will be in the Heisman conversation as a freshman or sophomore? That is very rare and will just set yourself up for disappointment. It is called being a realist. That does not mean I don't expect to have good talent. Heck, we have 3 4-stars in the qb room today and a 3-star that might just be the best of the bunch. However, I won't be disappointed if the starter is not being mentioned for the heisman. We could still will 10 games without that.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
That’s why you don’t introduce a thousand different plays with a completely new offense. You build a base of plays fitting the talent of the players you have & as the season goes along you add on as you’re able to train them your way. You recruit players to fit your scheme and based on how successful you are you can either go faster or slower. With more players for your style each year you can add more and more until your have your full offense installed. This isn’t gene splicing atom splitting rocket surgery. It’s the same thng you do if you take over a tire factory, a research lab or a group of Engineers. You establish a base and evolve from there. You don’t blow up the building & hope it all works out.
What you are talking about has nothing to do with play calling. Collins decided the best way to prove to recruits and others that we were changing was to pull the plug and do the best we could with a completely new approach. The staff and players did the best they could with square pegs in round holes. As the season went on play selection changed based on who was available and what we could handle both offensively and defensively. The rebuild continues

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Flutie is not 5’10”. He’s likely 5’9” maybe even 5’8”. No shorter than 5’8” though. He’s taller than my wife by more than an inch. Maybe someone on here’s been around him more than me can make a call on what they think his exact height is but it’s most definitely not 5’10”. He’s a real nice guy. Nobody’s yanking out a tape measure & saying “Hey Doug mind if I measure you up and post your real height on the internet” but having been next to him many many times he’s not 5’10”.
I can easily believe that.

LibertyTurns

Banned
What you are talking about has nothing to do with play calling. Collins decided the best way to prove to recruits and others that we were changing was to pull the plug and do the best we could with a completely new approach. The staff and players did the best they could with square pegs in round holes. As the season went on play selection changed based on who was available and what we could handle both offensively and defensively. The rebuild continues
You were clearly watched different games than I watched last year. Well, half the games because we rarely played offense. Let’s hope the cord got plugged in and someone flips the switch on this year if we play.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
You were clearly watched different games than I watched last year. Well, half the games because we rarely played offense. Let’s hope the cord got plugged in and someone flips the switch on this year if we play.
Curious which part you think is wrong?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer

That's not the pattern Bobby Ross followed. And yes, it hurts in the short term, but we're not in this for the short term.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Curious which part you think is wrong?
We tried to ram the proverbial square peg in a round hole. Quite frankly we hired a man with a lot of experience that lacked experience. Last year should not have been a training wheels year for him, but it was. We lacked an overarching transition strategy for our offense and it showed. We professed to be running a pro-style read option type spread offense, but review the game tape because we ran it little if any, against anyone. Our personnel were much more well-suited for a transition to that than whatever we randomly ran. Draw whatever conclusions you want from that but what actually happened was we ran such a mishmashed hodgepodge of plays it wasn’t surprising we weren’t good at hardly any of it. We finally figured out how to have some success when someone decided maybe it might be better just giving Mason the damn ball and having that be the cornerstone of our offense with some passing mixed in. Well, duh.

Last year was last year and we can’t get it back. We can only hope there was a bunch of soul searching in the off-season and he’s now ready for the challenge. I certainly hope so.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
We tried to ram the proverbial square peg in a round hole. Quite frankly we hired a man with a lot of experience that lacked experience. Last year should not have been a training wheels year for him, but it was. We lacked an overarching transition strategy for our offense and it showed. We professed to be running a pro-style read option type spread offense, but review the game tape because we ran it little if any, against anyone. Our personnel were much more well-suited for a transition to that than whatever we randomly ran. Draw whatever conclusions you want from that but what actually happened was we ran such a mishmashed hodgepodge of plays it wasn’t surprising we weren’t good at hardly any of it. We finally figured out how to have some success when someone decided maybe it might be better just giving Mason the damn ball and having that be the cornerstone of our offense with some passing mixed in. Well, duh.

Last year was last year and we can’t get it back. We can only hope there was a bunch of soul searching in the off-season and he’s now ready for the challenge. I certainly hope so.
Without a QB and OL we weren’t going to be able to run anything except the 3O and we weren’t going to do that. I do think the staff overall and maybe CDP in particular were shocked by what we couldn’t do when the lights went on. LJ froze, TO couldn’t throw the ball and JG hadn’t learned enough of the offense. Add in the injuries and the OL issues and I don’t know what you do. BTW running the ball was supposed to be the cornerstone of the offense but if you can’t throw it at all it
won’t get you too far.

Deleted member 2897

Wow, lay off the sauce.

LibertyTurns

Banned
That's not the pattern Bobby Ross followed. And yes, it hurts in the short term, but we're not in this for the short term.
Boss Ross had Fridge. Maybe you don’t remember but Fridge was OC at Maryland- the Frank Reich, Boomer Esiason years. We didn’t hire that type of OC. If we had someone like Fridge, we wouldn’t be having a conversation about our offense being confused all the time. Yes Fridge struggled during the transition, but he had reputation that preceded him.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Without a QB and OL we weren’t going to be able to run anything except the 3O and we weren’t going to do that. I do think the staff overall and maybe CDP in particular were shocked by what we couldn’t do when the lights went on. LJ froze, TO couldn’t throw the ball and JG hadn’t learned enough of the offense. Add in the injuries and the OL issues and I don’t know what you do. BTW running the ball was supposed to be the cornerstone of the offense but if you can’t throw it at all it
won’t get you too far.
Ok, then the man just doesn’t know the name of the offense he was trying to run. Either that or damn near every offensive lineman was on the wrong play damn near every snap. Take your pick but that had nothing to do with talent.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Ok, then the man just doesn’t know the name of the offense he was trying to run. Either that or damn near every offensive lineman was on the wrong play damn near every snap. Take your pick but that had nothing to do with talent.
Forget it man. If you don’t recognize we had significant issues with our roster last year I don’t know what to tell you.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Similarly you don’t recognize we have issues with our staff. More accurately one issue with our staff.
No I don’t know that we have a problem because I haven’t seen him with the tolls he needs. Plus why are you so down on him? It or like our defense showed out either?