#GTCamp20 Coverage

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Don’t see it that way. He was asked strengths and weaknesses. Yates has to overcome his lack of height. It doesn’t mean he can’t excel just that he has to do it a different way.

Yeah, but last year his comment was Yates is a "good little athlete". Just seems to bring it up a lot. I only want the best QB to start, whoever it is. I still assume that will be the case, but I don't want any preconceived biases getting in the way.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but last year his comment was Yates is a "good little athlete". Just seems to bring it up a lot. I only want the best QB to start, whoever it is. I still assume that will be the case, but I don't want any preconceived biases getting in the way.
Yates IS a good little athlete and he may be our best QB. He also said he makes up for the lack of height by being able to adjust on the fly and make all kinds of throws. Sounded pretty honest and that he thinks a lot of the kid.

To me it’s the typical fan overreaction. When a coach doesn’t say anything it’s criticized as coach speak. When he actually says something people parse every word to find something to complain about. I’m not worried it.

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck
Honestly, his height was the only weakness coach mentioned.

I see that as a guy fishing for weaknesses to talk about compared with Graham. I give it the first few weeks then Yates will receive most of the reps
Were you waiting on that last season?

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
I knew Yates wouldn’t play last season because we would want to redshirt him, waste not!

maybe I am being a little dramatic, but from listening to both Yates and Graham today and from what we’ve been seeing at practices and coach’s comments, I think Yates will get us there. Few games into the season and I think the position is his.

(to make this post more relevant to the thread, we’ll continue to watch this QB battle in spring training

Deleted member 2897

Well Yates (6’0”) is “short” compared to Trevor Lawrence (6’6”), but he’s got almost 3 inches on Justin Thomas.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Well Yates (6’0”) is “short” compared to Trevor Lawrence (6’6”), but he’s got almost 3 inches on Justin Thomas.
Haha, but our current OL also has 3 inches on JT’s OL! I kid. For the record, I don’t buy into the whole “he can’t see over the line” thing. Just look at Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray. You don’t find many OLs bigger than Oklahoma’s, yet the NFL scout experts always used that argument to knock a dude’s height. Like, OU’s OL is bigger/taller than a lot of NFL lines.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yates looks short out there to me. Doesn't mean he can not be successful but makes his ability to see downfield limited and requires a lot more work to find receivers and see the field. I think the 3 other guys don't have that to deal with, so, they may have an advantage there.

Go Jackets!

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Yates looks short out there to me. Doesn't mean he can not be successful but makes his ability to see downfield limited and requires a lot more work to find receivers and see the field. I think the 3 other guys don't have that to deal with, so, they may have an advantage there.

Go Jackets!

That's a relative thing. An elite quarterback is going to be doing a lot of that work pre-snap and looking at defenders after the ball is snapped to see where the right throw should be or manipulating the defenders with their eyes. Scanning the field looking for an opening is going to be more when the play breaks down and they're likely to be escaping the pocket so not having to see over guys. Not that height is unimportant. Also helps to get the ball over defenders and to change the arm slot when necessary to get the ball where it needs to be.

Deleted member 2897

CDP said in his interview that Yates was 5'10". I think he's probably more right than the program.

That was my recollection, but I saw how he was listed on the main football roster page and assumed that that was correct. that was my recollection, but I saw how he was listed on the main football roster page and assumed that that was correct. Oh well, LOL.

techfan#14

Jolly Good Fellow
Yates looks taller/larger than Justin Thomas was... we know how that went. I want a playmaker at the position. Dont care who it is or how tall, how old, etc. I will be excited to see the team step foot on the field. It will be exciting to see who comes out of camp as the starter!

TheFlyest

Ramblin' Wreck

He’s not 6’0.
If the other qb’s are more just *** if not more athletic, bigger, and have a solid understanding of the playbook, then it’s gonna be hard for Yates.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Are we really debating height when one of the best qb's in GT history was about 5'9"? You don't have to be 6'4" to be successful. Yates has gotten to where he is by being a playmaker. Some guys just have that it factor and can compensate for perceived weaknesses. If Yates doesn't win the starting job I doubt it will be because of his height.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Are we really debating height when one of the best qb's in GT history was about 5'9"? You don't have to be 6'4" to be successful. Yates has gotten to where he is by being a playmaker. Some guys just have that it factor and can compensate for perceived weaknesses. If Yates doesn't win the starting job I doubt it will be because of his height.
And the best QB in GT history was 5'10.