#GTCamp20 Coverage

LibertyTurns

Banned
No I don’t know that we have a problem because I haven’t seen him with the tolls he needs. Plus why are you so down on him? It or like our defense showed out either?
The defense has a scheme and was trying to execute. There’s a big difference between a guy that’s coached to be in the right spot but just can’t quite get the job done and rampant cluelessness. That’s my problem. We didn’t change regimes and all of a sudden our OL became uncoachable. That’s on the coach. It’s also on the coach if he’s using terminology that does not even match the scheme he’s running. That’s all I’m saying. I just hope he got the help he needed in the off season otherwise it’s going to be another long year on that side of the ball.

Scubapro

Banned
The defense has a scheme and was trying to execute. There’s a big difference between a guy that’s coached to be in the right spot but just can’t quite get the job done and rampant cluelessness. That’s my problem. We didn’t change regimes and all of a sudden our OL became uncoachable. That’s on the coach. It’s also on the coach if he’s using terminology that does not even match the scheme he’s running. That’s all I’m saying. I just hope he got the help he needed in the off season otherwise it’s going to be another long year on that side of the ball.
I think you are spot on with your assessment. We MUST improve substantially on O to have any chance at winning games. I think we averaged 16 points per game last year. I doubt there is a team in the NCAA that could overcome such low production and win.

Deleted member 2897

I think you are spot on with your assessment. We MUST improve substantially on O to have any chance at winning games. I think we averaged 16 points per game last year. I doubt there is a team in the NCAA that could overcome such low production and win.

If you look at just our offense, in regulation, against FBS, we averaged 13 points per game IIRC.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
He will never be above criticism. I don't like him, not just bc he isn't a good coach, becasue he will be one of those coaches that will end up dividing the fan base like a Roof, Nix, and Groh
This guy has a pile of talent at QB and running back. Fasten your seatbelt and get ready for the arguments for the next few years about either his coaching ability or his available talent on the field. It will get interesting when he uses the O line and players not knowing the plays as excuses for for his lack of production.
While I currently share your concerns about coach p, I think it's also too early to say he will not be successful here. I do share your concerns though.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think you can quote anything from last season to judge our coaches. They literally had to take a severely undersized (and let's face it under talented) OL from CPJ and try to play big boy football with it. I'm excited to see how improvements this year with the S&C work but it's really year 3 when you can start judging these coaches.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
While I currently share your concerns about coach p, I think it's also too early to say he will not be successful here. I do share your concerns though.

I would venture to say that 95% of the GT fanbase feel the way that you do. It's hard to truly evaluate given the hand that was dealt. The other vocal and relentless 5% have rendered their verdict already. And are making sure that we too feel their pain.

As an example, we all agree Ralph F. is an all time great OC. His first year at GT the team averaged 18 points a game and won 2 games taking over from a team that won 5 the prior year. Transitions take time, simple as that. Even for the very best in the business.

Scubapro

Banned
I would venture to say that 95% of the GT fanbase feel the way that you do. It's hard to truly evaluate given the hand that was dealt. The other vocal and relentless 5% have rendered their verdict already. And are making sure that we too feel their pain.

As an example, we all agree Ralph F. is an all time great OC. His first year at GT the team averaged 18 points a game and won 2 games taking over from a team that won 5 the prior year. Transitions take time, simple as that. Even for the very best in the business.
This is the argument that baffles me. Ralph's resume showed he knew his craft and was proven.
Patenaude's resume shows nothing. Other than a two year stint at Coastal Carolina, with players he didnt recruit, there is nothing in his 20+ year thats says 'winner'.
I can buy the argument for Collins, Thacker, Choice, and Key deserving more time because they are comparatively early in their careers. Patenaude has 20+ years under his belt and isnt going to change. Look at his previous stops. That is what we are going to get and it aint good.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
This is the argument that baffles me. Ralph's resume showed he knew his craft and was proven.
Patenaude's resume shows nothing. Other than a two year stint at Coastal Carolina, with players he didnt recruit, there is nothing in his 20+ year thats says 'winner'.
I can buy the argument for Collins, Thacker, Choice, and Key deserving more time because they are comparatively early in their careers. Patenaude has 20+ years under his belt and isnt going to change. Look at his previous stops. That is what we are going to get and it aint good.
The problem is who do you think you could get to come to Tech for what we pay?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you can quote anything from last season to judge our coaches. They literally had to take a severely undersized (and let's face it under talented) OL from CPJ and try to play big boy football with it. I'm excited to see how improvements this year with the S&C work but it's really year 3 when you can start judging these coaches.
This is nonsense. You can judge the coaches anytime they put a product on the field. Those horrifically undersized and untalented players did just fine in 2018. They had no idea what they were doing last year. It was one of the worst offenses our program has ever had and close to worst in all of FBS. Of course there are going to be growing pains moving to a new offense but im not sure how you can blame that significant of a drop completely on the players. Coach P may bounce back from this and I think we all hope he will but he did a rather poor job last year with what he had to work with.

Scubapro

Banned
The problem is who do you think you could get to come to Tech for what we pay?
I don't know exactly. Patenaude got a 200k raise for a total to 400K to follow Collins from Temple. If we are forced to go on the cheap, which we are, I would prefer someone earlier in their career. Similar to the rest of the staff.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
This is nonsense. You can judge the coaches anytime they put a product on the field. Those horrifically undersized and untalented players did just fine in 2018. They had no idea what they were doing last year. It was one of the worst offenses our program has ever had and close to worst in all of FBS. Of course there are going to be growing pains moving to a new offense but im not sure how you can blame that significant of a drop completely on the players. Coach P may bounce back from this and I think we all hope he will but he did a rather poor job last year with what he had to work with.
So where is your judgement on Key? Our WRs underperformed as well but I don’t see anyone being critical of Dixon. If our OL or WRs didn’t know what they were doing that’s not on the OC.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know exactly. Patenaude got a 200k raise for a total to 400K to follow Collins from Temple. If we are forced to go on the cheap, which we are, I would prefer someone earlier in their career. Similar to the rest of the staff.
Like Patrick Nix? Don't really have a dog in this fight because I really don't know; just dropping a fly-by bomb.

LibertyTurns

Banned
So where is your judgement on Key? Our WRs underperformed as well but I don’t see anyone being critical of Dixon. If our OL or WRs didn’t know what they were doing that’s not on the OC.
I’ve been wondering why Key wasn’t the OC to start off with. He did ok at UCF didn’t he? He seems to be decent at recruiting. I thought maybe that was the reason and the grand scheme was for him to get recruiting going, then take over as full time OC.

That being said I came away not very impressed at all with his handling of the OL last season. He coached at Bammer and you’d think he’d have come here with a system. Did not look like it at all.

Milwaukee

Banned
I’ve been wondering why Key wasn’t the OC to start off with. He did ok at UCF didn’t he? He seems to be decent at recruiting. I thought maybe that was the reason and the grand scheme was for him to get recruiting going, then take over as full time OC.

That being said I came away not very impressed at all with his handling of the OL last season. He coached at Bammer and you’d think he’d have come here with a system. Did not look like it at all.

Key was the #2 ranked recruiter in all of cfb in 2018. He’s a lot better than decent, he’s one of the best in all of cfb. We’re damn lucky he wanted to come home. Damn lucky. The future is bright with this staff. LFG.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer

Very classy words. Good luck to JH. Hopefully there is nothing negative being held back here. Sounds like coaches let him know he wasn't going to be a contributor on the field if he stayed.

RE: Coach P. I share concerns but also agree that it is premature to draw conclusions about his ability to lead the team to success offensively. He is not a major innovator, and thus his offensive potential is limited by the strength of the team overall, the athletic ability of players, and our capacity to train players to execute what we are giving to them. This is where I have hope. Collins is checking those boxes, and the persona of the team is not going to revolve around the offense. Looking up and down the top programs, that is pretty common. But of course, we are still projecting the future here, and we're not going to be up there with Clemson, Alabama, UGA without the recruiting going even further. Maybe we peak at a top 15 type program with hopes of playing dark horse from time to time. If we get there, it'll be an advancement from where we've been for a long time.

No you can't make much out of last season despite success CPJ had running the option. Yes we could have done better if we had a more gradual transition, trying to hybridize and branch from there. But maybe also that would make 2020 and onward hampered. We made a clear choice to do things our way (now) without looking backward. Everything that I've heard is that the players love how we are doing things now, and that is no knock on CPJ. Yet the approach could not be more different. Different techniques and different athletes required to execute techniques, sure, but also in terms of trying to teach football as a whole rather than focus on executing a specific system. Neither approach is necessarily better in results, but there was very little for the staff to build from doing it their way. Instead of trying to bridge it more smoothly, they decided to deal with the consequences of throwing people into the new system. People are engaged, and whenever we have football next I expect to see a big difference.