#GTCamp15

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In terms of physical running ability, MM is the entire package. There is nothing missing (other than not being 240 LBS). The only real questions are if he can learn to block, learn the offense, and keep from fumbling the football. If the answer to those questions is to the positive, I don't know how we could keep him off the field. I haven't seen much of Skov (really no running film from Stanford) or Allen (besides the spring game), but it is hard for me to imagine that they can run with Marshall.

If I had to guess, Skov will prove to be an elite power back. Allen is a bit of a tweener, neither extremely powerful nor explosive, but an overall solid player for the position with good feet.

It sounds as if all three newcomers to the position are adapting pretty well. Of the three, Skov is probably the safest option at this point. He has experience and will probably keep the ball more secure and block like a beast while churning out the tough yards.

I feel sure MM will play, but he is an 18 or 19 year old competing with a pair of 23 year olds, one of which who has been in the trenches of a physical offense for 4 years. However, I agree with Sean311. I would be stunned if MM wears a shirt this season. The only way that happens is if he puts the ball on the ground a lot.

Go4Tech

Jolly Good Fellow
Quick question:

Seems from reading the posts that we seemed to have come through fall came with a minimum of injuries. If true, would count this as two years in a row that we have had "less than average" injuries during Summer and Fall camps.

Is this a function of the strength and conditioning or has practice changed to prevent to prevent injuries?

Can not wait until the 3rd....... See a track meet coming!

THWG!

Quick question:

Seems from reading the posts that we seemed to have come through fall came with a minimum of injuries. If true, would count this as two years in a row that we have had "less than average" injuries during Summer and Fall camps.

Is this a function of the strength and conditioning or has practice changed to prevent to prevent injuries?

THWG!
How about you keep this hush hush and nobody else respond to this post. Let's try to not jinx anything!

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Quick question:

THWG!

I personally think our S&C program has contributed to this. I think freshmen have sustained more injuries because they have not been in our program as long. Having met Sisk I am under the impression that he has a good understanding of how to properly condition in order to limit injuries.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I chatted with Sisk for about 20 straight minutes at fan day last year. He was probably sick of me and looking for a way to politely end the conversation. However, during that time, we chatted some about the goals he had for the S&C program that he put in place. Reducing unecessary injuries is a major part of the focus. It isn't all about gaining strength and mass. Personally, I think the recent results speak very well about his efforts.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Was able to attend the scrimmage. Think everyone will be impressed with some of the younger players. As a group, these freshmen appear to be better equipped to play early more than any class in recent memory. My primary takeaway was the level of competitive camaraderie on this team -- they are competing for playing time but seem to genuinely encourage each other, celebrate good plays and share frustration on bad plays. I think everyone saw how much team chemistry played a part in last season's success. Oh, and CPJ is really, really good at what he does.

Can't wait until they can start hitting other people!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I'm not sure how much the freshmen class will impact our team this year. I think they will leave a huge mark by the time they graduate.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
There definitely are going to be some tough decisions with the freshmen. Outside the offensive skill positions, there is decent depth/experience/talent (probably most in recent years) everywhere else among returning players. It's definitely a good problem to have.

AJ Gray is really good, no doubt about it. Can he make a huge impact this season with depth at safety? That's why the coaches get paid the big bucks.

I've heard CPJ say that the staff has to weigh potential contributions as a true freshman versus redshirt senior. Better to be trying to figure that out rather than having to play true freshman to plug holes in the roster.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
There definitely are going to be some tough decisions with the freshmen. Outside the offensive skill positions, there is decent depth/experience/talent (probably most in recent years) everywhere else among returning players. It's definitely a good problem to have.

AJ Gray is really good, no doubt about it. Can he make a huge impact this season with depth at safety? That's why the coaches get paid the big bucks.

I've heard CPJ say that the staff has to weigh potential contributions as a true freshman versus redshirt senior. Better to be trying to figure that out rather than having to play true freshman to plug holes in the roster.

This year we'll burn ~8 shirts. We need to balance classes. Guys that can contribute on special teams will play. I'm guessing Gray falls into this category.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm not ready to say any freshman are going to play because I haven't seen any of them in the spring, and no matter how good they were in highschool, college is very different in every aspect. We also have good depth pretty much everywhere on the feild, but the skill positions and lb, so if I did have to guess its going to be there which cpj already said some of them will have to step up and play.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
This year we'll burn ~8 shirts. We need to balance classes. Guys that can contribute on special teams will play. I'm guessing Gray falls into this category.
you don't burn a redshirt just to have a guy play special teams, if that's what you are saying.