#GTCamp15

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We'll see. I predict we'll have true freshmen play on special teams who otherwise play only in garbage time, not in 2-deep.
That is what we did with Lewis and Kagawa last year and Merriweather played very little outside ST downs. Would not be surprised to see 3 +/- freshmen play only ST this year.
I get that, I just believe we "don't" have to, we didn't lose a lot of special team guys this past year and the freshman who were red shirted last year should be able to step in this year.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
That is what we did with Lewis and Kagawa last year and Merriweather played very little outside ST downs. Would not be surprised to see 3 +/- freshmen play only ST this year.
Yeah, I think there are probably a few actual scenarios. For one, it can have to do with if a guy makes the cut to be on multiple ST units. Or enough of them and be say third in line at a position of need. Also, I am sure coaches at times end up deciding to get the clock going on a kid if they want more separation in class/pos/numbers even if they will only be putting them in on ST.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can't wait for the actual roster to come out ..... but it doesn't have ST unit depth other than kickers / holders / snappers / returners. I don't see any Fr being in those positions this year.

So you guys are thinking they are going to be other players - which positions - blocking and tackling on KO ? I sure don't see us putting in a different OL/DL for FG or EPs or punts.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Can't wait for the actual roster to come out ..... but it doesn't have ST unit depth other than kickers / holders / snappers / returners. I don't see any Fr being in those positions this year.

So you guys are thinking they are going to be other players - which positions - blocking and tackling on KO ? I sure don't see us putting in a different OL/DL for FG or EPs or punts.

We had a lot of backup players (such as Griffins, Austins, and Jeune) on ST last year, including some walk-ons (Willis, Alford, and Connors), seniors (Dennis), and OL backups (Brigham, Devine, and Fromayan), and freshmen (Kagawa and Lewis). Seems logical that the seniors and maybe new starters (such as Hankins) will be replaced with some freshmen (also to balance classes). We did not use our regular OL for field goals and extra points as Devine, Fromayan, and Brigham regularly were part of that ST OL.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
The coaches of course see the big picture and will make the call but another potential factor not mentioned is the likelihood that a player would stay 5 years if redshirted. While we don't have many that jump early to the nfl, I could see not redshirting a player if they exhibited extraordinary talent or had other issues that would make me think that 4 years is probably the max time they would stay at TECH.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The coaches of course see the big picture and will make the call but another potential factor not mentioned is the likelihood that a player would stay 5 years if redshirted. While we don't have many that jump early to the nfl, I could see not redshirting a player if they exhibited extraordinary talent or had other issues that would make me think that 4 years is probably the max time they would stay at TECH.

Good point but suspect it is very hard to predict...maybe someone who wants to move on to a medical major.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

I see the 5th year career backup leaving after his 4th to get a job as more common. I see the 5th year starter staying unless he is an nfl jump. Point being hard to predict which a true freshman is so i always see paul leaning to the Rs unless the guy can help in a good way today.

I see the 5th year career backup leaving after his 4th to get a job as more common. I see the 5th year starter staying unless he is an nfl jump. Point being hard to predict which a true freshman is so i always see paul leaning to the Rs unless the guy can help in a good way today.
We are losing a lot this season. Hopefully we can blow out a bunch of teams so that the New guys can get as much game experience as possible.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
We are losing a lot this season. Hopefully we can blow out a bunch of teams so that the New guys can get as much game experience as possible.
We do have a lot of young guys who are not reaches! This is what I have been writing about this summer. There is no area of concern with what is coming back next year, and yes you are correct in that they do need game exp. And I believe enough of them will get it in order that CPJ will maintain position and class balance. We have enough depth that this actually started last year.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
i think he said he would not be suprised to see 3 ONLY play ST. ie, the balance of Fr that play may play ST and some other spot as a backup etc, vs just the 3 at ST.

Personally I hope we play as few FR as possible....

I disagree that we should aim at having 20-23 graduating seniors in 5 years. I think that the big hit we took last year is historically rare and that we should aim to keep about 17 per class, including RS class (17 x 5 = 85).

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
We do have a lot of young guys who are not reaches! This is what I have been writing about this summer. There is no area of concern with what is coming back next year, and yes you are correct in that they do need game exp. And I believe enough of them will get it in order that CPJ will maintain position and class balance. We have enough depth that this actually started last year.

The only concern area I see for 2016 is DT. With only 2 experienced players coming back it would be good to have Glanton or Henderson or S Morgan to play some this year.....maybe even two of them. I agree we have the experienced numbers at the other positions.

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
Does anyone know if the depth chart on KQ's site, which was updated as of yesterday, is accurate, or is he just providing educated guesses?

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree that we should aim at having 20-23 graduating seniors in 5 years. I think that the big hit we took last year is historically rare and that we should aim to keep about 17 per class, including RS class (17 x 5 = 85).

With the normal attrition, non redshirts, etc. That means we should be at about 20 per year.