#GTCamp15

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Saturday, August 15 -- Scrimmage #2 Georgia Tech officially ended its 2015 Training Camp by scrimmaging at Bobby Dodd Stadium on Saturday morning. The Yellow Jackets ran close to 100 plays as the Sept. 3rd season opener continues to close in.
The offense scored on each of its first three possessions, with junior QB Justin Thomas under center for his lone two drives of the day - the first ending in a Thomas to Ricky Jeune touchdown pass and third culminating with a 15-yard run from Patrick Skov. Senior QB Tim Byerly's one-yard touchdown punctuated Tech's second drive.
B-backs Skov, a graduate transfer from Stanford, and freshman Marcus Marshall each had strong days on the ground.
"The first-team offense was pretty good," said head coach Paul Johnson. "But as the scrimmage wore on, the defense got better. Patrick (Skov) really played well. Marcus was with the first team, and he and Patrick rotated. It was his (Skov's) best performance to date. It was good to see him be physical and finish runs forward."
Skov finished, unofficially, with eight carries for 86 yards and two touchdowns. He also reeled in a 24-yard pass from Byerly later in the scrimmage.
The defense forced a pair of turnovers with Step Durham recovering a fumble and Jamal Golden picking off pass.
Tech players will have tomorrow off and classes begin on Monday.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I wish someone would give Tim Byerly some air time. He is someone who has really worked hard and does anything he can to help the team.

Most of us love Byerly and he is a great security blanket for us. The single worse position loss for any team is the starting QB. It would be something we could overcome this year if the worst were to happen.

Id love to hear what TB has to say about our progress in camp. Bet it would be very insightful.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Best thread in a week!
Sounds like offense and defense are both doing well enough now that we don't have to wring our hands over either.

How evenly balanced is the match up between them? Well, I laughed out loud when I watched these two comments which I will paraphrase:

Gotsis: "The offense scored the first 3 times today after we had been dominating them all week and it was good to see how our guys responded to adversity. Think we held them after that and had some turnovers."
Thomas: "I think the offense scored the first 4 or 5 times we had the ball so we were playing pretty good."

Question. Thomas singled out one offensive player that he really seemed to like, his longest comment about any offensive player. He pronounced his name kind of like "scaley." Did he mean Searcy?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Best thread in a week!
Sounds like offense and defense are both doing well enough now that we don't have to wring our hands over either.

How evenly balanced is the match up between them? Well, I laughed out loud when I watched these two comments which I will paraphrase:

Gotsis: "The offense scored the first 3 times today after we had been dominating them all week and it was good to see how our guys responded to adversity. Think we held them after that and had some turnovers."
Thomas: "I think the offense scored the first 4 or 5 times we had the ball so we were playing pretty good."

Question. Thomas singled out one offensive player that he really seemed to like, his longest comment about any offensive player. He pronounced his name kind of like "scaley." Did he mean Searcy?

He was responding to a question about Micheal Summers. He said.he did really well in pass skelly (skeleton) drills this past week.

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow

Best high pointer in a long time. There are not many/any? pictures where you don't see him reaching out to the ball....

By long time do you mean last year? Smelter was an absolute beast not only at high pointing the ball but high pointing the ball in traffic. Does the catch against Pittsburg in 2013 ring a bell?
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search...ttsburg&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

Plus this past year JT would mostly toss the ball high to smelter on the comeback routes. 11 inch hands help a lot but so does baseball with developing the hand eye coordination to high point the ball.

Waller was also pretty good at high pointing the ball. He completely owned Swann of UGa on that 5 yard out route for a 10 before halftime plus this great catch against GA southern..
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=waller+catch+against+uga&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-002

and he made a really nice catch against UNC on a slant route for a TD.

There were other high point catches for both Smelter and Waller but I just wanted to remind you that we've seen it recently and we've seen it in games against opponents in hostile environments and not just in a scrimmage.

Which in no way means that I am not a Stewart fan. I think he is going to become the go to reciever this year for clutch plays.. This may finally be the year that we have to consistent recieving threats all season long. Last year as good as Waller was, he really didn't come on as a focal point until Smelter was injured..