GT vs VT (-12)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I get what you are saying and in theory it sounds good, I guess we'll have to now see if he can go out and reel-in the stud freshman ...

IMO the bigger question is can he get Haywood and Jose out of their current funk and develop Moses/Cole/Sjolund into complete players. Can he find a good solid piece for the last ship in the current class, Mitchell for example, and can he follow that up with 3 or 4 very solid recruits in the next class. If so then I think we are in good shape. If we are relying on trying to have an incoming freshman be a core player, like we are with Devoe, then we have troubles.

I view it as the freshmen that are ready to play right away should augment a good core that is already there rather than relying on one to fill in a key need.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Again, in the long-run it all comes down to recruiting, getting both "stud" players and evaluating lesser guys that you think you can develop into "good" effective ACC caliber players.
And getting back to my initial thought about "get old stay old" ... the flaw is, if these core players develop into NBA talent, it's not up to the coach, it's up to the player to decide if they stay or go and we "get old stay old".

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
The Academic Progress Rate (APR) was implemented in 2003 and strengthen in 2011 to penalize teams that score below 930. I believe all the former Jackets you mentioned came prior to 2011.

As I understand, many coaches now have clauses in the contracts related to APR also. The landscape has definitely changed. That said, I still believe we can get quality basketball recruits into GT.
APR doesn't seem to be hurting Duke's one and dones. My issue is the excuse that Pastner gave that we were on these kids early and then a "blue blood" swooped in and took them. All that tells me is you didn't close the deal. He is right, we need the one stud to start it rolling.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
APR doesn't seem to be hurting Duke's one and dones. My issue is the excuse that Pastner gave that we were on these kids early and then a "blue blood" swooped in and took them. All that tells me is you didn't close the deal. He is right, we need the one stud to start it rolling.

Duke is a private institution who can do whatever they want. They have a very popular (among athletes) sociology program....

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke is a private institution who can do whatever they want. They have a very popular (among athletes) sociology program....
Concur but a one and done at any school is the same right? They just have to pass classes for one semester unless I misunderstand the rule.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Concur but a one and done at any school is the same right? They just have to pass classes for one semester unless I misunderstand the rule.

That is correct, but as far as getting the athletes initially admitted varies from school to school.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I looked at stats.That was the cleanest game on OFF in a while. More Asst than TOs. Shooting decent.
We just needed to slow their 3s. (change DEFs somehow??

slugboy

Staff member
Some of our recent issues in 3 point defense are on our play, but some of it is facing players who are blazing hot from well outside the arc. VT had some uncontested 3s we shouldn’t have allowed, but they had a few that were impressive too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crut

Helluva Engineer
Sjolund was great from 3 last night, but man his defense is a liability. Gotta improve big time there.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
Last night was very encouraging to me. Sojuland, after throwing 2 awful passes against ND, had no bad passes last night and proved to me he can shoot long range. Devoe also improved his shooting, and made a nice 8 footer by pulling up on a drive in the lane, rather than driving to the basket and throwing up an alley pop. Better shooting from outside opened it up for Banks .Moses looked good, as well as Moore. Continued development of Moses (and/or Cole) as a complement to Banks and one recruit who is ready for ACC play makes me believe we could be good next year. Having said this, I just hope we don't regress against FSU. [emoji26]

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
Two semesters, or you take a hit on APR. You have to pass enough hours so that you would be eligible to play your sophomore year if you returned in order to get full APR points.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Cuse - I love this kid.. He's going to be so so good for us, but he is still good for one or two TO's per game that are just maddening. Either getting his pocket-picked or dribbling into traffic.

He will be a better scorer next year as his confidence grows. If we could find another scorer to put him and Jose, we will have an above average back court. This is assuming that Jose breaks out of the slump soon.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Cuse - I love this kid.. He's going to be so so good for us, but he is still good for one or two TO's per game that are just maddening. Either getting his pocket-picked or dribbling into traffic.

He will be a better scorer next year as his confidence grows. If we could find another scorer to put him and Jose, we will have an above average back court. This is assuming that Jose breaks out of the slump soon.

Agree with this. He dribbles himself into trouble quite often. Remember year one when we moved the ball really well and didnt "give the ball a headache" ? I yearn for those days again

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
To his defense, how many good A.C.C. teams have a freshman playing the Point at times and are having to carry shooters not hitting shots around him?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

I agree. And I'm sure you agree, he's just a freshman. I'm good with the couple bonehead plays a game as I think he'll work his way out of it with a full, healthy offseason and more confidence/strength.

And I know what it's like to see maddening turnovers that never get corrected. I'll just say the name rhymes with Hank Froward. I would take Devoe right now over the 5th year senior.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I agree. And I'm sure you agree, he's just a freshman. I'm good with the couple bonehead plays a game as I think he'll work his way out of it with a full, healthy offseason and more confidence/strength.

And I know what it's like to see maddening turnovers that never get corrected. I'll just say the name rhymes with Hank Froward. I would take Devoe right now over the 5th year senior.

There's no reason to call a guy a Stank Coward, CuseJ. That's going too far. :smuggrin:

On Devoe, I've been telling folks all year this kid has a chance to be special for us. Same with KMoore. The thing they have in common is they're both a lot better than they think/know they are.

I'm hoping this game unlocks Devoe's shooting stroke. Dude was drillin' em late.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There's no reason to call a guy a Stank Coward, CuseJ. That's going too far. :smuggrin:

On Devoe, I've been telling folks all year this kid has a chance to be special for us. Same with KMoore. The thing they have in common is they're both a lot better than they think/know they are.

I'm hoping this game unlocks Devoe's shooting stroke. Dude was drillin' em late.
As much as I hate on Stank, I'm not sure he's yet to recover from his end of summer injury. So maybe I'll chill for a few minutes.

Similarly and maybe more acutely, I think Devoe was set back by his injury. It's hard to learn on the fly as a true frosh who didn't get the full offseason ramp-up. Something tells me Devoe knows how good he is, he just needs a full year of health and for the team to acknowledge to him that he can/should be the guy. I get the impression from Pastner's comments last week that he's getting Devoe to that space mentally. I'm really looking forward to seeing him next year.

Agree about KMoore. I've seen a lot of folks claim to have "found" him first this year (ahem). I'll throw my name in that hat as well :smuggrin:. His athleticism relative to the rest of our squad stuck out from day 1. I'm not sure how "there" he is yet i.e., needs more confidence particularly with his slashing/handles, but he has a lot of tools. I think he'll be even more fun to watch, and make our team more fun to watch, if we ever do become a running team.