GT vs VT (-12)

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can he handle 40 minutes?

..... Sjo-nuff. :cool:

On Brando's lack of research, announcers say stuff like that when calling the game of a struggling coach. It's like a throwaway comment to make it seem like 'all is well' even though a guy's on the hotseat. That's all I got. Either that or he was indeed drunk announcing.

It's gonna take about 18 months for you to speak that in to existence.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
I dont follow basketball a lot so I may be missing something here but I don't understand how fouls were not called on the injuries to Alvarado and Devoe. Alvarado gets hit in the nuts as he is in process of shooting the 3. I don't think it was intentional but he still hits him in process of the shot. On the Devoe one, the VPI guy runs through Devoe after he firmly has the ball in his hands! The Alvarado one is a little more excusable but I really don't understand how the Devoe one is not called.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Couldn’t watch due to blackout. Why didn’t AD play?

No overt commentary from CJP I know of but my bet is Pastner went with a small ball lineup to try to match up with VT. Given he was already down on the defensive end with Sjolund I can see the logic at a strategic level. At the operational level I have no idea in hadies why those minutes went to Alston instead of Moore, Haywood or last night even Wright.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Going to play devils advocate and say why "get old stay old" bugs me ...
Devoe is coming into his own and next year could be a breakout year for him. Does anyone else see a year 3 decision coming (aka Okogie) ???
So, if getting old can't be controlled by anyone except the individual player who decides to turn pro, why not recruit studs that can compete in the ACC from day #1 ??
Also, IMO Sjolund needs to get more PT, give him the experience and use the rest of the season to teach him how to be more effective on defense ...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Devoe is coming into his own and next year could be a breakout year for him. Does anyone else see a year 3 decision coming (aka Okogie) ???
So, if getting old can't be controlled by anyone except the individual player who decides to turn pro, why not recruit studs that can compete in the ACC from day #1 ??
Also, IMO Sjolund needs to get more PT, give him the experience and use the rest of the season to teach him how to be more effective on defense ...

I think the thinking is that Jose, Curtis, Moses, Cole, SjoNuff, will be solid 4 yr players so that if you get to the point that you've got a solid group of jrs and snrs like that with some leave early guys then that's a recipe for success.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I think the thinking is that Jose, Curtis, Moses, Cole, SjoNuff, will be solid 4 yr players so that if you get to the point that you've got a solid group of jrs and snrs like that with some leave early guys then that's a recipe for success.

That makes sense ... but it could also mean he's running up the white flag on elite player recruiting.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan

I agree with the Sjojund comment. He has had 2 good games and shows lots of potential. Don't forget that Alvarado had a spectacular Freshman year and has had at least 40 really good games. Haywood has had a bunch of really good games... I agree we need to get the players who can play in the game. I think next year is going to be a really good year for us with a motivated Alvarado, hard nosed Usher, Talented Devoe, Moore, Tough Banks, etc.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Going back to some of your in regards to Devoe going early. As much as I like his game (Calm, under control, great vision and improved J) I just don’t think he has the ability to break anyone down off the dribble or has the athleticism to make it at the next level. (Yet)
My worry isn’t so much anyone declaring early it’s someone realizing that there’s not much hope at an NCAA bid and transferring.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
I highly recommend that anyone interested go back and listen to Pastner’s latest radio show. I thought it was very interesting and informative.

On AD not playing: Pastner talked a lot about how playing AD and Banks together was resulting in the offense getting clogged, as defenses packed in with the lack of outside shooting. I assume that last night’s lack of playing time reflects this, and the fact that Banks is better than AD at the 5.

On “get old, stay old”, this is not a change of direction or a deflection away from recruiting failures, it’s been his stated plan from the beginning. However, he acknowledges, and did on radio show, that they have heavily gone in on trying to recruit elite level players, but have struck out. He also discussed what I think is the true academic limitation on recruiting, which is simply the amount of time/effort required on classes at GT compared to other schools.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
He can mention the academic limitations all day long with maybe some validity, but we have a long list of previous elite recruits including some one and dones ... off the top of my head, Bosh, Favors, Young, Marbury, Shupert, Crittenton ...
Again, I am not anti-CJP, he seems like a decent guy and I hope he can turn it around, but IMO now is the time to get it done and not start making excuses.
I"m disappointed this season, not so much with the record, as we weren't expecting much, but with the level of play ...

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
He can mention the academic limitations all day long with maybe some validity, but we have a long list of previous elite recruits including some one and dones ... off the top of my head, Bosh, Favors, Young, Marbury, Shupert, Crittenton ...
Again, I am not anti-CJP, he seems like a decent guy and I hope he can turn it around, but IMO now is the time to get it done and not start making excuses.
I"m disappointed this season, not so much with the record, as we weren't expecting much, but with the level of play ...

The Academic Progress Rate (APR) was implemented in 2003 and strengthen in 2011 to penalize teams that score below 930. I believe all the former Jackets you mentioned came prior to 2011.

As I understand, many coaches now have clauses in the contracts related to APR also. The landscape has definitely changed. That said, I still believe we can get quality basketball recruits into GT.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
The Academic Progress Rate (APR) was implemented in 2003 and strengthen in 2011 to penalize teams that score below 930. I believe all the former Jackets you mentioned came prior to 2011.

As I understand, many coaches now have clauses in the contracts related to APR also. The landscape has definitely changed. That said, I still believe we can get quality basketball recruits into GT.

Thanks for saying this......for the 1027464781st time...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

APR consequences were supposed to kick in in 2007 which was delayed a couple/few years, iiuc.

Unfortunately, we'll never know for sure how much impact it had on guys xferring out in fball or bball let alone recruiting.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer

Even if it's true, I hate to hear him say it. It sounds, as you say, like an excuse. What happened to positioning our academics as an advantage, like CGC does? Especially in the ACC...Duke and Wake aren't weak sisters academically either.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Pastner stated he absolutely sells the academics as a benefit that lasts the next 40-50 years of a kid's life.

The academic limitations GT faces, and what I think Pastner means, is the desire for a kid to do the work. He'd happily take a 5* one & done. That kid has to be willing to step up to the academic workload though, even if it's only for 2 semesters.

We can get kids in. We can provide substantial support network. Kid still needs to be willing to do the work to maintain eligibility.

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
On the radio show, he also tried out the pitch that showing you have the time management skills to handle the GT workload demonstrates to the NBA that you can handle the NBA schedule/lifestyle as a young player. Seemed like a stretch to me, but you sell however you can...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Get old Stay old doesn't mean never play young guys. IMO it refers to trying to always have a core of juniors and seniors and if you have a stud freshmen then so be it. Take this year. If we were in a good position it'd look something like a Jr Phillips starting at PG with Jose learning behind him, a senior Alston starting alongside a stud Devoe , with Curt and Moore filling out the depth without much of a load to bear. In the post we'd have Banks and AD, like we have, but Ogbonda would also be a bigger factor letting Wright and Cole be emergency depth guys until they are juniors and seniors.

No you can't absolutely prevent things like stud players going pro early, guys transferring, or career ending injuries, but if you recruit and develop well you can usually have 3 or 5 solid junior and seniors at least to make a core around.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Get old Stay old doesn't mean never play young guys. IMO it refers to trying to always have a core of juniors and seniors and if you have a stud freshmen then so be it. Take this year. If we were in a good position it'd look something like a Jr Phillips starting at PG with Jose learning behind him, a senior Alston starting alongside a stud Devoe , with Curt and Moore filling out the depth without much of a load to bear. In the post we'd have Banks and AD, like we have, but Ogbonda would also be a bigger factor letting Wright and Cole be emergency depth guys until they are juniors and seniors.

No you can't absolutely prevent things like stud players going pro early, guys transferring, or career ending injuries, but if you recruit and develop well you can usually have 3 or 5 solid junior and seniors at least to make a core around.

I get what you are saying and in theory it sounds good, I guess we'll have to now see if he can go out and reel-in the stud freshman ...