GT vs VT (-12)

Deleted member 2897

Cole, Rice and Phillips out with the flu.

Alvarado and Devoe now out with injuries.

We’re outshooting them, but losing. Weird how often that happens.

Fun fact- Josh Pastner has won ACC Coach of the Year half his time here.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
The shooting is not terrible tonight. But it’s just miserable watching the turnovers. Devoe and Banks would get meaningful play time with other acc programs. Maybe Alvarado too

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Frustrating. We should have found a way to win with their starting pg out.

So many stupid turnovers shouldn't happen in 1st year, imo, let alone 3rd.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Well, the good is that we shot 40% from 3, turned it over a reasonable amount of times, 13, and actually outrebounded them both overall and on the boards. Had we hit shots like this in some of the past few games we likely have a few more wins.

Unfortunately our defense was not nearly as good in the second half as it usually is. Slow rotations and too many shooter left open. Especially leaving shooters too quickly to go to the high post. Overall, while it sucks to lose, at least this is a game where it looks like we were a competent team. If we can keep up this offensive performance and get back to our usual defense, we will be in a good spot.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Frustrating. We should have found a way to win with their starting pg out.

So many stupid turnovers shouldn't happen in 1st year, imo, let alone 3rd.
Is it the third year for the freshmen and sophomores?

I am actually encouraged by the way the guys played tonight. I mean if Alvarado could have just hit his open 3s, we win that game.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
This is Devoes team now. Give him the ball and let him run the show. Sjo needs minutes and a green light to oull it the rest of the year. We’ve got nothing to play for so start playing for the future. Sjo, Cole, Moore need reps. Banks needs the weight room this off season.
Sjo, Moore & devoe all need weight room. If sjo can learn the defense, watch out.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I want to give some props to Wright. Dude played a pretty good game and only took one bad shot.

Sjo is going to be a weapon for us next year. A starting lineup of Alvarado, Devoe, Haywood, Usher, and Banks with Moore, Sjo, and Cole rotating in off the bench sounds pretty good.

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Another loss in the books. Hate it for the team as I felt like they played hard and Devoe, Banks, Sjolund all had good games. Even Moses Wright contributed! We made a huge run in the first half when Alvarado went out. Coincidence? Glad to see Devoe was ok--we absolutely can't lose him. He is progressing. Too many are regressing, though...

I'm sure we've still got another surprise win or two in us, but its all too late now. Another season slipped away. Maybe next year. Go Jackets!

GT_EE78

Banned
I want to give some props to Wright. Dude played a pretty good game and only took one bad shot.

Sjo is going to be a weapon for us next year. A starting lineup of Alvarado, Devoe, Haywood, Usher, and Banks with Moore, Sjo, and Cole rotating in off the bench sounds pretty good.
Devoe,usher and banks will be good . more talent needed . that last roster spot needs to be a 4/5 star eeven if a grad transfer

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Devoe,usher and banks will be good . more talent needed . that last roster spot needs to be a 4/5 star eeven if a grad transfer

Agreed. If we can just pick up one legit scorer in the grad transfer market we could be decent (middle of ACC) provided our young guys develop.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I'm sure we've still got another surprise win or two in us, but its all too late now. Another season slipped away. Maybe next year. Go Jackets!

I disagree that it is too late now. When the season started my hope was to see development that would lead me to be confident about next year. I thought there was little chance we'd be a NCAAT this year but we could get experience and development to be in a good place next year. Recently we haven't been showing that. Tonight, imo, we did from several sources. We have at least 7 games. If we can get Sjolund more time and see some progression on D, get Haywood to get some confidence in his shot, and get Jose back in the grove, it might not lead to much this year, but it would be huge to build on.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Is it the third year for the freshmen and sophomores?

I am actually encouraged by the way the guys played tonight. I mean if Alvarado could have just hit his open 3s, we win that game.

What part of "it shouldn't happen in the 1st year" did you find difficult to understand? Ref to 3rd year refers to establishing a culture.

I appreciate that you find averaging 16 turnovers acceptable.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
It's funny to watch freshmen come into their game. Like a light switch that goes on. Happened to Devoe a while back and now Sjolund. He had something to prove and he did. Hokies are a very good shooting team and have a lot of talent.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
What part of "it shouldn't happen in the 1st year" did you find difficult to understand? Ref to 3rd year refers to establishing a culture.

I appreciate that you find averaging 16 turnovers acceptable.
I don't find it acceptable, but it's obvious that these mistakes are from lack of experience and playing time. These are young player mistakes and whether it's your opinion that they shouldn't be making them or not, it happens.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow

Start the Norwegian collegian with Banks, Alvarado, Devoe and Usher. If Moses could consistently play like he did tonight, he is more valuable than Cole.