GT vs VT (-12)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Short of winning the game it was about as good as I would hope for tonight. Shots started falling and some of the younguns started showing they have something. Sjolund made some shots and everyone else fed off of it. A core of Devoe, Sjolund, Banks and still likely Jose next year looks good - recognizing I would love to see Sjolund do it for more than just one game. Imagine that :)

I am hoping Jose can get his shot back. He had at least 2 looks tonight he could take windage, drink coffee and still have time to get the shot off. He plays hard on both ends even with missing the shots.

Haywood plays hard as well but he really needs help upstairs. Moses showed flashes tonight but he still needs work. If we have enough offense around him he can be a piece. Hopefully Cole too. But all - including Banks - need a long offseason in the weight room.

As for tonight, we gave up 76 points and 43% shooting from 3. More than we normally do - but I give VT a lot of credit for that. They moved the ball faster and with a real purpose than most anyone we have played. Yea we were slow on some rotations but they moved the ball faster than we could move a lot.

Next time let Alston have the 4 minutes AD got and let's let Sjolund, Moore and Haywood soak up those minutes.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
As for tonight, we gave up 76 points and 43% shooting from 3. More than we normally do - but I give VT a lot of credit for that. They moved the ball faster and with a real purpose than most anyone we have played. Yea we were slow on some rotations but they moved the ball faster than we could move a lot.
Playing Sjolund and Alston together was an invitation to good shooting.

I agree with everything you said but I would add that our substitutions remain odd. There may be a reason for it to which I am not privy but I don't understand playing those two guys together if it isn't something unusual, like the last offensive possession of a half.

This isn't really important. I just don't get it. Most unbalanced lineups try to unbalance the other team. That just makes us slow.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Jose Alvarado is broken. If he could have hit a few shots, we would be talking about a different outcome. in the last 5 games, he's gone 7 for 49 from the field, a pathetic 14% shooting. He also has not gone to the free throw line once in that span. I don't know what it is, but it seems his game has changed as he's not as aggressive anymore and settling for jumpers.

Sjolund has game, and it was refreshing to see him make the most of his minutes tonight.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Playing Sjolund and Alston together was an invitation to good shooting.

I agree with everything you said but I would add that our substitutions remain odd. There may be a reason for it to which I am not privy but I don't understand playing those two guys together if it isn't something unusual, like the last offensive possession of a half.

This isn't really important. I just don't get it. Most unbalanced lineups try to unbalance the other team. That just makes us slow.

I don't get Alston having 19 minutes on about 20 different levels. Give those minutes to the younguns.
Sjolund by himself on the wing is manageable - especially when he goes 3-7 from 3

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
Jose Alvarado is broken. If he could have hit a few shots, we would be talking about a different outcome. in the last 5 games, he's gone 7 for 49 from the field, a pathetic 14% shooting. He also has not gone to the free throw line once in that span. I don't know what it is, but it seems his game has changed as he's not as aggressive anymore and settling for jumpers.

Sjolund has game, and it was refreshing to see him make the most of his minutes tonight.

I think you are right about Jose’s aggressiveness. I wonder if the injuries have simply taken their toll. He started tonight’s game with more enthusiasm but still not nearly as aggressive. I love his game when he simply runs the show.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Will be interesting to see how CJP manages the rest of the season. If he wants to keep the defense solid (keep Sjolund on the bench) or add outside shooting and give up points on the other end (play Sjolund).

The kid is good shooter and makes us better on O but he needs more time to understand the D and how to stay remotely close to his zone. Defensive awareness simply isn’t there right now for him.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Start the Norwegian collegian with Banks, Alvarado, Devoe and Usher. If Moses could consistently play like he did tonight, he is more valuable than Cole.
I agree, but we need somebody coming off the bench who can score. I'd start Haywood just to set the defensive intensity for the game and then bring in Sjo or Moore to provide a spark off the bench. If he improves his defense then he definitely deserves to start though.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The best basketball we’ve played in months was the last 7 mins of the first half with both Haywood and Alvarado on the bench. Yet we only saw this lineup again for the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half. Eventually you have to call a spade a spade and sit the guys that aren’t producing.
It is clear Devoe is our best player and this should be his team going forward. Banks will be even better after the offseason weightlifting. Play Sjolund as much as possible down the stretch. When you are dead f’n last in every offensive category it’s okay to sacrifice some D for O.
The effort was there last night. Pastner’s substitutions drive me insane and it really seems like he is just throwing darts. We also have to be able to play some man and get out if the zone when teams are hitting like VT was. We gave up way too many open 3’s.

Deleted member 2897

Alvarado and Haywood are a combined something like 5 of their last 55.

You have to keep shooting, but at the same time I think it’s prudent to know you shouldn’t force anything when you’re in a rut like that. I mean Sjolund banked one in last night. Work to get the hot guys the ball unless you’re wide open. Don’t make it any more difficult than it already is.

Is it just me, or does anybody else absolutely hate the way the guy that plays center for Virginia tech is called. He looks like he has two bad Achilles tendons, as he’s always walking around on his toes looking like he’s limping. He stumbles around wherever he goes, so the refs called fouls all the time since it looks like he’s being banged around. It’s really annoying.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The best basketball we’ve played in months was the last 7 mins of the first half with both Haywood and Alvarado on the bench. Yet we only saw this lineup again for the first 2 minutes of the 2nd half. Eventually you have to call a spade a spade and sit the guys that aren’t producing.
It is clear Devoe is our best player and this should be his team going forward. Banks will be even better after the offseason weightlifting. Play Sjolund as much as possible down the stretch. When you are dead f’n last in every offensive category it’s okay to sacrifice some D for O.
The effort was there last night. Pastner’s substitutions drive me insane and it really seems like he is just throwing darts. We also have to be able to play some man and get out if the zone when teams are hitting like VT was. We gave up way too many open 3’s.

I physically and physiologically cannot 'like' this post enough.

Whatever the plan was ... it's broke now. Gotta get a new plan. Last season we played Alvarado to death because he was effective and we needed him to play 41 minutes. Happened a lot early this year too. Well, there's something going on with him mentally which is rendering him ineffective.

We all still love him but it's starting to look like playing him is making whatever the issue is, worse.

My man Sjo-nuff looked horrid at times on D last night ... I don't even care. I literally don't even care a little bit. Leave him out there and let him shoot 'til his arm falls off. Then, when he looks over at the sideline, alls I want the coach to tell 'im is ....

more.gif

... then I want him to go ..

200w.webp

... then go rain 3's.

Brando was having palpitations about Sjo-nuff all nite. Called it a coming out party. At the same time, last nite might have been Devoe's coming of age. That was great to see.

Is it just me, or does anybody else absolutely hate the way the guy that plays center for Virginia tech is called. He looks like he has two bad Achilles tendons, as he’s always walking around on his toes looking like he’s limping. He stumbles around wherever he goes, so the refs called fouls all the time since it looks like he’s being banged around. It’s really annoying.

Dude is the epitome of junky, out of control.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Alvarado and Haywood are a combined something like 5 of their last 55.

You have to keep shooting, but at the same time I think it’s prudent to know you shouldn’t force anything when you’re in a rut like that. I mean Sjolund banked one in last night. Work to get the hot guys the ball unless you’re wide open. Don’t make it any more difficult than it already is.

Lol I can't stand how he moves around on the court, its painful to watch. He took a 3 from the top of the key and I saw his toes were pointed to the sidelines as he was spotting up for the shot.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Can Sjolund handle 40 minutes a game?
I also have to agree with @BigDaddyBuzz on sitting some other guys. Screw it.

Also, wtf was Brando talking about when he said "the cavalry is on its way in recruiting next year"

Research Timmy, research..

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Can Sjolund handle 40 minutes a game?
I also have to agree with @BigDaddyBuzz on sitting some other guys. Screw it.

Also, wtf was Brando talking about when he said "the cavalry is on its way in recruiting next year"

Research Timmy, research..

Can he handle 40 minutes?

..... Sjo-nuff. :cool:

On Brando's lack of research, announcers say stuff like that when calling the game of a struggling coach. It's like a throwaway comment to make it seem like 'all is well' even though a guy's on the hotseat. That's all I got. Either that or he was indeed drunk announcing.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
At this point I'm ready to see a new 5

Devoe
Moore
Sjo
Wright
Banks

bench
alvarado
CGB
cole/ad

Alston needs to ride pine for the rest of the year, this team needs to play for next year. Sjo has shown signs of life at the wing that we have been needing all season long. I can't lie, I really like Moore at the two he's really good at setting his teammates up to score and he attacks the basket constantly.