GT vs VT (-12)

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Only 12? :whistle: :notworthy:
We tend to play closer than that but I am worried about our mindset coming in after losing to ND.
Would probably bet on the Jackets to cover - but not a lot.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
So how do we build for the future? And show some improvement so players we want to keep have some hope. I know coaches are paid to win games but I would like to see some minutes given to see what we have in some players and allow some players to see if they can shoot themselves out of the slump (X2) they find themselves in (long as they are decent shots). The con is nothing salves the current wounds like a win which would say limit the rotation, try to lock down D and really look to be efficient on offense (i.e. control who shots and where).

I have to admit I am probably more for the former than the latter but it will most likely look really ugly at times and give the boo birds a lot to work with (not that they don't have a lot already). Will be curious to see how Pastner plays it as he isn't coaching for his job per se this year.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So how do we build for the future? And show some improvement so players we want to keep have some hope. I know coaches are paid to win games but I would like to see some minutes given to see what we have in some players and allow some players to see if they can shoot themselves out of the slump (X2) they find themselves in (long as they are decent shots). The con is nothing salves the current wounds like a win which would say limit the rotation, try to lock down D and really look to be efficient on offense (i.e. control who shots and where).

I have to admit I am probably more for the former than the latter but it will most likely look really ugly at times and give the boo birds a lot to work with (not that they don't have a lot already). Will be curious to see how Pastner plays it as he isn't coaching for his job per se this year.

I think for the most part it's not really a decision Pastner has to make. Our best chance of winning right now is for Jose and Curt to keep shooting and hope they break out of the slump. The alternatives are Alston and Phillips who aren't going to make a significant difference against ACC opponents, or Moore, who should be getting the back up minutes anyways but isn't ready to carry the brunt of the offense this year.

IMO the decision that needs to be made is what to do with Cole and Wright. I think if we were shooting the way we are capable of then Wright would play more because his issues on offense wouldn't be as big a deal if we had Jose, Mike, and Curt all able to knock down shots on the outside and either Banks or AD giving us a solid low post threat. As it stands with our struggles on O we sort of need to put somebody out there that has a decent chance to contribute on offense. Cole could do that but he is shooting so poorly right now that he isn't filling that role. That leads to the double post look with AD and Banks.

I would like to see a set, probably more likely next year, of Jose, Devoe, Moore, Wright, and Banks where we run a 1-3-1 with Moses at the point and Moore/Devoe on the wings to try and use length to disrupt vision of passing lane letting Jose be the sneaky little bugger that he is in the middle playing for steals. It would run the risk of giving up some better looks, but as much as I like our defense, it doesn't do much to generate anything on the other end to gain momentum.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I think for the most part it's not really a decision Pastner has to make. Our best chance of winning right now is for Jose and Curt to keep shooting and hope they break out of the slump. The alternatives are Alston and Phillips who aren't going to make a significant difference against ACC opponents, or Moore, who should be getting the back up minutes anyways but isn't ready to carry the brunt of the offense this year.

IMO the decision that needs to be made is what to do with Cole and Wright. I think if we were shooting the way we are capable of then Wright would play more because his issues on offense wouldn't be as big a deal if we had Jose, Mike, and Curt all able to knock down shots on the outside and either Banks or AD giving us a solid low post threat. As it stands with our struggles on O we sort of need to put somebody out there that has a decent chance to contribute on offense. Cole could do that but he is shooting so poorly right now that he isn't filling that role. That leads to the double post look with AD and Banks.

I would like to see a set, probably more likely next year, of Jose, Devoe, Moore, Wright, and Banks where we run a 1-3-1 with Moses at the point and Moore/Devoe on the wings to try and use length to disrupt vision of passing lane letting Jose be the sneaky little bugger that he is in the middle playing for steals. It would run the risk of giving up some better looks, but as much as I like our defense, it doesn't do much to generate anything on the other end to gain momentum.
I think you provided a very good stance of keeping moses or another big at the point of the 1-3-1. This would be the best way to start your transition offense.I hope the staff really looks at this.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Moses up top would be a much more "traditional" approach to a 1-3-1 than what we play. If we could run that and trap out of it he could be a disruptive force and hopefully cause some turnovers for easy buckets. Easy buckets being something we don't see nearly often enough. But as you say, we suffer on the offensive end with him.

I would love to see Sjolund get minutes but understand when CJP points out Haywood on the defensive end and his 6 rebounds in 20 min. I would love to see Moore and Cole get minutes to get a better idea where they fit (if they fit) next year. Probably time to ramp down AD minutes which hurts us on offense and time to make IVY happy and screw Alston to the bench :troll: Let Haywood and Jose fire when ready to see if they can catch fire. Lessens any chance we have to win a game but hopefully gives us more data for next year - and maybe momentum for individual players going into the offseason.

GT_EE78

Banned
Not on in Michigan...... May not be a bad thing. Need to take a step back for a game. Been sober for a month and a half. Sitting through another game like the last 5 might result in me falling off the wagon. Lol
This game might not be pleasant. A fifth of Jack Daniels could help with the sobriety problem ........