GT vs Pitt Postgame

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I love when people post about how “we should be 3-0”

Is that how you play golf too? “Well if I hadn’t hooked my drive, it would have gone about 250 yards and then I would have had an easy 8 iron onto the green and 2 putt for par, so I’m going to mark down 4”

We should be 3-0. We played 3 local muni’s with no serious challenges on any hole. It’s not like we were playing Augusta National.

Jmonty71

Banned
I will say this... Sometimes, CPJ's ego or over confidence about his offense gets us into binds, like today. I think he needs to get a grip and understand, we can't push the LOS back 3 yards, every play We don't have those players.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
During Oleary's time and Gailey's time we had multiple players who expected to go to the NFL and did go to the NFL. They generally did fine in the classroom as well. The basketball team has a long history of NBA players.

I do not understand why they are exclusive. I don't agree or accept that they are exclusive.

Not exactly. IIRC, we had under O'Leary an atrocious graduation rate, and under Gailey we were erroneously reporting academic progress resulting in several players being deemed eligible who in fact weren't (albeit inadvertently). Since then, and since CPJ, all that has been cleaned up and GT has a very good record of academic achievement among its football players. The academic situation is much improved over O'Leary and Gailey. And the SAT scores of football players are among the highest in the nation for a public institute of higher learning.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I will say this... Sometimes, CPJ's ego or over confidence about his offense gets us into binds, like today. I think he needs to get a grip and understand, we can't push the LOS back 3 yards, every play We don't have those players.

Butch Jones insisted that a MAC offense would work in the SEC. No one was going to convince him it couldn’t. In fact, he had multiple NFL players (e.g., Alvin Kamara) whom he benched. CPJ swears he can make his offense work. But he can’t. Maybe it’s him. Maybe it’s the players. Maybe it’s the program. But one thing is for sure ... it ain’t working now.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Not exactly. IIRC, we had under O'Leary an atrocious graduation rate, and under Gailey we were erroneously reporting academic progress resulting in several players being deemed eligible who in fact weren't (albeit inadvertently). Since then, and since CPJ, all that has been cleaned up and GT has a very good record of academic achievement among its football players. The academic situation is much improved over O'Leary and Gailey. And the SAT scores of football players are among the highest in the nation for a public institute of higher learning.

A lot of that isn’t just CPJ. That’s mostly on the AD. They have the responsibility of making sure the athletic department is accountable. If I’m not mistaken the entire athletic department has seen sharp increases in the IIRC across the board.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
A lot of that isn’t just CPJ. That’s mostly on the AD. They have the responsibility of making sure the athletic department is accountable. If I’m not mistaken the entire athletic department has seen sharp increases in the IIRC across the board.

That's correct, and I didn't mean to imply that CPJ was the reason for it. I just wanted to set the record straight. Our academic success rate is much higher than when Gailey and O'Leary were here, although that wasn't necessarily their fault.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer

We definitely have higher SAT scores now than Oleary for sure and even Gailey. The academics are close to squeaky clean now. No argument at that level.

Under Gailey IIRC the academic issues were with the Hill and not the FB team per se. And more to the point, the guys who were NFL capable and NFL bound were generally not the issue. Calvin and his friends did OK in the classroom as I said.

I look at this as a pendulum and we have swung way hard to high academic requirements and few exceptions to admission. We are pretty close to squeaky clean on progress to graduation stats, etc. We also have several losing seasons in the past several seasons. That tells me we have room to loosen things up to some degree and allow a few more exceptions to the base recruiting standards. Get a few more playmakers in and then make sure the support is there to keep them eligible. I hate to say it this way but the goal of the FB team is not to have the highest SAT average of any public university (which we do) but to win games while graduating kids who come here.

I am not advocating wholesale abandonment of academic recruiting standards. But when your performance on the field is sub optimal and your performance in the class room is near perfect I would suggest some loosening on the academic side - while they watch and continue to monitor academic progress.

Jmonty71

Banned
Butch Jones insisted that a MAC offense would work in the SEC. No one was going to convince him it couldn’t. In fact, he had multiple NFL players (e.g., Alvin Kamara) whom he benched. CPJ swears he can make his offense work. But he can’t. Maybe it’s him. Maybe it’s the players. Maybe it’s the program. But one thing is for sure ... it ain’t working now.
I think its the culture. The players just have not had a fire in their eyes, the last few years. I miss tube high energy and bouncing. Now our sideline looks like a friggin funeral.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There is no pool of talent. There are 8500 or so kids available to recruit. The 4/5’s go to to the Top 20 schools. 100 schools compete for the rest. It’s all about development. Which we don’t do.

Nope we don't develop players as well as we should but there is a much wider pool of talent in this state than there was just 10 years ago and there is no reason why we can't have a share of it. Georgia is in the top 5 of states with high school football talent and it is inexcusable for our recruiting to be as poor as it has been since 2000. If we are not doing a good job in identifying players and nurturing relationships with high school coaches then changes need to be made. If academics are unreasonable, which they are, then the administration needs to be more flexible in both curriculum and admission standards. We have managed to recruit a few four stars the last couple of years so it can be done but when we cannot get a single top 50 high school football player in our own state that is a sure fire recipe for failure.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Yikes. We lose. Everyone loses their minds. People I've never seen come out of the wood works. It's a shame what some people find joy in.