GT vs Pitt Postgame

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I call B.S. High academic students in H.S. are not going to look at college football as a step to playing "the next level". Personally, any player that looks at college as a stepping stone to the NFL should be avoided.

So you're saying just because a player is smart they don't want to play in the NFL?! Smart players put themselves in the best position to maximize ALL of their opportunities. That's on the field and off the field opportunities. You are kidding yourself if you don't think "smart" players care about playing at the highest levels.

Can a player from our offense make it to the NFL? Of course, and there are good examples of that with Deandre Smelter, Darren Waller, Shaq Mason. But it's a LOT harder to make it to the NFL, and kids certainly have a harder time getting drafted higher. Right now, whether we like it or not, the perception is recruits do not feel like this offense will maximize their chances at playing at the next level.

Animal02

Banned
So you're saying just because a player is smart they don't want to play in the NFL?! Smart players put themselves in the best position to maximize ALL of their opportunities. That's on the field and off the field opportunities. You are kidding yourself if you don't think "smart" players care about playing at the highest levels.

Can a player from our offense make it to the NFL? Of course, and there are good examples of that with Deandre Smelter, Darren Waller, Shaq Mason. But it's a LOT harder to make it to the NFL, and kids certainly have a harder time getting drafted higher. Right now, whether we like it or not, the perception is recruits do not feel like this offense will maximize their chances at playing at the next level.
There is a big difference between hoping to get in the NFL and expecting it.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes.

Entrance requirements are MUCH tougher today than back in 1977 by any standards (certainly by SAT scores). But even more, back even in the 1990's an athlete was eligible as long as he was in school with passing grades, even if it took him 9 years to graduate (he could still only play 4 of those years, but he was still eligible ot play). Now, you MUST be on track for your degree year-by-year even as an athlete...or you become ineligible.

You may be right about the eligibility requirements. (These are from NCAA?) But today's SATs have been watered down by the addition of the grader-subjective essay writing section.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Graduation rates and academic progress is far stircter than in the last century. Talked for a while with a fellow alum that was a tutor for athletes back then....the entire focus was keeping them eligible...not academic progress

For regular admit GT students, it seems like it’s more difficult to GET IN now versus 1990 when it was much harder to STAY IN. I’m not sure how this change at GT has impacted athletes, if at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There is a big difference between hoping to get in the NFL and expecting it.

Where did I disagree with this?

Your statement is bordering on absolutes that smart kids don't care about the NFL so it's BS that smart kids even consider maximizing their chances when picking schools. I know this may be crazy, but kids CAN go to a good school AND play in a system that maximizes their talents to showcase NFL teams.

Animal02

Banned
Why? Kids are quite capable of having NFL aspirations and wanting to make sure they get a good education. Long as they are willing to do the work I have no idea in hadies why a team wouldn't want NFL level talent on their roster.

I had this strange idea that you "Play to win the game".
And once again, there is a big difference between hoping to play in the NFL and expecting to play.

Animal02

Banned
Where did I disagree with this?

Your statement is bordering on absolutes that smart kids don't care about the NFL so it's BS that smart kids even consider maximizing their chances when picking schools. I know this may be crazy, but kids CAN go to a good school AND play in a system that maximizes their talents to showcase NFL teams.
If you are playing college ball with the expectation of playing in the NFL, I would not classify that as smart.....just like playing the lotto to fund fund your retirement.

Animal02

Banned
For regular admit GT students, it seems like it’s more difficult to GET IN now versus 1990 when it was much harder to STAY IN. I’m not sure how this change at GT has impacted athletes, if at all.

NCAA requirements regarding graduation rates and academic progress have changed dramatically.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If you are playing college ball with the expectation of playing in the NFL, I would not classify that as smart.....just like playing the lotto to fund fund your retirement.

Again, you're making a separate argument. You're trying to say kids who go to school expecting to make the NFL are not making a good decision. There's no disagreement with that.

My point is, there are smart kids who want to go to schools that maximize BOTH their off the field opportunities and on the field opportunities. Not sure why this side of the discussion is hard to grasp. Just because a kid wants to play on the next level and wants to go play for a school with a system that will maximize his opportunities on the next level doesn't make him foolish or not smart. In fact, any kid with a high level of skillsets to play on the next level that chooses a program that doesn't maximize his chances is wasting a golden opportunity. Would it have been wise of Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck to go to Navy and run the option? Most likely, not. Was it smart for them to play for good schools (well, maybe not Tennessee...lol) that ran"pro" systems that suited their skillsets? The NFL isn't guaranteed to anyone, but you can certainly maximize your chance by picking the right situation.

Animal02

Banned
Again, you're making a separate argument. You're trying to say kids who go to school expecting to make the NFL are not making a good decision. There's no disagreement with that.

My point is, there are smart kids who want to go to schools that maximize BOTH their off the field opportunities and on the field opportunities. Not sure why this side of the discussion is hard to grasp. Just because a kid wants to play on the next level and wants to go play for a school with a system that will maximize his opportunities on the next level doesn't make him foolish or not smart. In fact, any kid with a high level of skillsets to play on the next level that chooses a program that doesn't maximize his chances is wasting a golden opportunity. Would it have been wise of Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck to go to Navy and run the option? Probably, mostly likely, not. Was it smart for them to play for good schools (well, maybe not Tennessee...lol) that ran"pro" systems that suited their skillsets? The NFL isn't guaranteed to anyone, but you can certainly maximize your chance by picking the right situation.
If playing in the NFL is your "goal" Tech will never be the right choice. It is that simple.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
During Oleary's time and Gailey's time we had multiple players who expected to go to the NFL and did go to the NFL. They generally did fine in the classroom as well. The basketball team has a long history of NBA players.

I do not understand why they are exclusive. I don't agree or accept that they are exclusive.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
If playing in the NFL is your "goal" Tech will never be the right choice. It is that simple.

I would say if playing in the NFL is your ONLY goal then there are easier ways to get there than to go through Tech.