GT vs Pitt Postgame

GTJeff1975

Jolly Good Fellow
Nope, CPJ'S offense is equalizer to the hindrance of academics.

His offense worked when he had exceptional talent at QB (Nesbitt, Thomas). Nesbitt was a holdover from Gailey and Thomas was an Alabama recruit that was desperate to play QB and transferred. What top tier talent on offense has CPJ brought in as a recruit?

Animal02

Banned
His offense worked when he had exceptional talent at QB (Nesbitt, Thomas). Nesbitt was a holdover from Gailey and Thomas was an Alabama recruit that was desperate to play QB and transferred. What top tier talent on offense has CPJ brought in as a recruit?
It worked with Washington as well.
The point is, Tech will NEVER consistently attract top tier talent across the board with it's limited degree requirements and high academic requirements. Then toss on top of that, the declining spending on football and sports in general, relative to competing schools and you get what we have. Changing the HC will change nothing.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
This period of GT Football reminds me of the Stockdale Paradox: “The Stockdale Paradox really defines the optimism that is most important in becoming a resilient person and that is, when you're faced with a challenge or a trauma, you look at that challenge objectively. You might make the assessment, 'I'm in really big trouble.' You have a realistic assessment of what you're facing. On the other hand, you have the attitude and the confidence to say, 'But I will prevail. I'm in a tough spot, but I will prevail.' That is the optimism that relates to resilience.”

I’m not sure that many kids are being raised to be resilient and look at things like this in recent times.

Too much coddling, and, when anyone disagrees with them, that person is a “hater”.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious about something and I'm not trying to be sarcastic or confrontational, I would like open discussion. When I read posters saying CPJ "abuses players", "throws players under the bus", "points fingers" I'm assuming these comments are interpretations of what CPJ says during press conferences, shows, etc. When someone asks him about particular plays or problems as he sees it, would you rather the answer be an honest appraisal of the breakdown of a particular play or would you rather the answer be just some generic, canned response? I've seen posts on this blog, and elsewhere, that seem to agree with his descriptions of what went wrong with plays, even to the point of calling out specific players for making the mistakes. Yet, some of the same people who will call out specific players get upset when the coach does the same thing. In fact, I've seen some posters question the athletic ability and intelligence of some players but I don't ever recall hearing any of our coaches do that.

Please understand that I am not happy with the season so far and I'm wondering where GTFB goes from here. I understand the feeling of frustration of GTFB fans on this blog because I am frustrated also. I am positive Our Team and Coaches are equally frustrated. I just don't believe that this ongoing sniping, vitriolic language, spitefulness is good or helpful.
First I'm not the smartest one on here, I have been a CPJ fan from day 1 till yesterday. Does he throw players under the bus ? Yes and No he does not name players but you know who he is talking about when he does it. Example, CPJ said I thought it was a gimme and it was, You've got to able to do that when there's 9 guys in the box and it's 1 on 1 outside . You've got to be able to do that . It's college football. Another example, on the fake punt he did say That one is on me, but later if he would have went outside he could have picked it up. Are this true yes , but to me a coach needs to say some things to the players not to the press. After time players will lose faith in a coach this is what I think has happen.

I was pissed about our defense in the first half but they did better in the 2nd half. Hell thinking about it I'll give 7 of Pitt's point to CPJ on the dumb call on the fake punt. So the defense gave up 17 points that ain't bad when you think about it.

I'm sure by Monday if someone ask him about the offense do we need to change things he will say something like this ( This is what I think he will say ) No there is nothing wrong with the offense if you don't miss your assignments we got to do a better job coaching them and they need to do better. Or he could say something like this if he is pissed off, Hell fire we had 320 rushing in the game how many teams had over 300 yards rushing last week. ( but to me it was garbage yards ) The only statistic I look at are wins.

I really have no idea if I answer you question. All I know something is wrong either CPJ is too stubborn to change things or he has lost the players ( which I'm starting to think has happen) And that don't mean the players are not smart or lack athletic ability , you are only going to run into a brick wall so many times someone needs to show you how to go around the wall.

What worries me is if you look back at history we are headed to the 70's something needs to change but I don't see that happening , You need new blood ( coaches ) you need money and last you need to pick if you really want to be good at football which I don't think Tech gives a rats *** about football.

But I will still buy season tickets like I have the last 37 years ( Like I said I'm not hat smart (

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I have no issue with his press conferences. I'm not entirely certain he needs to say some is these things because his same complaints about certain players not executing is clear as day for the rest us too but I don't have a problem with it. I'm on the boat of needing a change, whether it be a new QB or new coach. I'm not sure TO would be an upgrade but TM sure isn't winning and has yet to prove he can win as a starting QB.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
We have to turn the liability of being the only top 25 STEM school in a power 5 conference into an asset.
Going by this list as an example (https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/eng-rankings)

Stanford, Illinois, Berkeley, Purdue, Northwestern, Michigan, Texas, Wisconsin, NC State, Texas A&M, USC. are also all top 25 engineering schools.

Also, the majority of athletes are not doing STEM majors. They are taking up business administration and communications, and other non-engineering majors.

So I’m not sure I buy into the whole “we can’t do better because we are such a good school”argument.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I have no issue with his press conferences. I'm not entirely certain he needs to say some is these things because his same complaints about certain players not executing is clear as day for the rest us too but I don't have a problem with it. I'm on the boat of needing a change, whether it be a new QB or new coach. I'm not sure TO would be an upgrade but TM sure isn't winning and has yet to prove he can win as a starting QB.

Remove TQ and Mitchell as team captains as well.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe our continued recruiting of good but not great players over the last 5 years has caught up with this system. I don't see much changing with more good teams in the ACC and the inability of our coach to make any real changes. He can't find or won't play a QB that can pass. Maybe they just don't want to play at GT or in this system but whatever the reason we are not very competitive right now for a lot of reasons. We are not a D 2 school and we play in a tough league with a tough schedule. It just isn't working anymore.

Best talent was CPJ’s first 2 years with Gailey’s recruits. He proved he could win with NFL talent so I will credit him with doing what Gailey could not do.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
You are on the money with the recruiting comments. I could never understand why CPJ would never evolve the offense to help get recruits in- he used to coach more of a run and shoot at Hawaii so he knows how to do it.

Maybe with more resources being directed to recruiting, Tech can go farther, dig deeper and find the QB talent to implement a credible passing game into his offense. At the moment, our passing game is a liability. Think where we might be right now had Justin Fields come to Tech...

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe with more resources being directed to recruiting, Tech can go farther, dig deeper and find the QB talent to implement a credible passing game into his offense. At the moment, our passing game is a liability. Think where we might be right now had Justin Fields come to Tech...

He may have came to GT if they ran a different offense. We will never know but there is no way an aspiring NFL QB is coming or transferring in to run this offense. Sometimes we will get lucky with an undersized QB that is not given the opportunity (like JT5 who was outstanding for Tech)

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
What is dumb is people that want to place sports achievement above academic integrity.

I don't agree. It seems nearly unanimous that people feel current degree requirements should be unchanged. They suggest adding a new major (or two) to provide more choices for SA's. We know the BOR won't help us there. So? My thoughts:

1- an earlier poster made a good point about HS players wanting no part of the TO. Solution: with CPJ or a new coach, implement a pass-heavy offense that attracts those bright talented players. Mike Leach-style or similar. Luke's offense looks creative and effective. Could we get better talent if the offense was updated?
2- academics are tough at GT and very talented recruits may not qualify. Solution: with CPJ or a new coach, focus exemptions on skill position players - QB, BB, AB, LB CB. If being done already, then that would indicate that running the TO is the problem.
3- limited majors. My understanding is that the Ivan Allen college features less rigorous calculus requirements (vs management). If true, we should put those exemptions in IAC and provide tutoring. Again, if already being done, a new offense that is hard to defend is needed.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I call B.S. High academic students in H.S. are not going to look at college football as a step to playing "the next level". Personally, any player that looks at college as a stepping stone to the NFL should be avoided.

The problem with this is that the players that think they can get to the next level are winning games for USF, Duke, VT, etc al. Recruiting players that don't think they can get to the next level, or not interested in the next level, does not lead to winning football games. The Ivy League is full of such players.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Nope, CPJ'S offense is equalizer to the hindrance of academics.

Yes and No.
Does it give some level of schematic value? Yes, to a limit. The results are inconsistent and at the cost of recruiting, brand damage, and perception, no longer worth it.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I don't agree. It seems nearly unanimous that people feel current degree requirements should be unchanged. They suggest adding a new major (or two) to provide more choices for SA's. We know the BOR won't help us there. So? My thoughts:

1- an earlier poster made a good point about HS players wanting no part of the TO. Solution: with CPJ or a new coach, implement a pass-heavy offense that attracts those bright talented players. Mike Leach-style or similar. Luke's offense looks creative and effective. Could we get better talent if the offense was updated?
2- academics are tough at GT and very talented recruits may not qualify. Solution: with CPJ or a new coach, focus exemptions on skill position players - QB, BB, AB, LB CB. If being done already, then that would indicate that running the TO is the problem.
3- limited majors. My understanding is that the Ivan Allen college features less rigorous calculus requirements (vs management). If true, we should put those exemptions in IAC and provide tutoring. Again, if already being done, a new offense that is hard to defend is needed.
I like the way you are thinking, but
  1. I would definitely challenge the Administration to be much more aggressive with the BOR about expanding GT's curriculum. I don't think the Hill wants to do that, and I very much blame them for that. Until we start reading headlines in the AJC about squabbling between the Hill and the BOR I will not believe they are trying to improve things;
  2. The idea some fonts hold (I'm looking at you @Animal02 ) that academics is sacrosanct and should never be modified in any way for athletics is frankly unrealistic. If you wish to go down that path, the entire alumni base needs to be prepared to become Tulane or Rice or even MIT in athletics. The Hill should be honest with its alumni about this issue (and watch Roll Call donations drop). It is a silly concept as well, because nothing being suggested in any way cheapens the value of GT degrees or harms the rest of the school in any way. There is plenty of data that suggests that a robust athletic program helps a university with its recognition and reputation, and very little data that I can find which says that making some reasonable accommodations for athletics in any way hurts the university.
  3. I do agree that this offense has worn out its welcome, and another offense that would be popular with recruits would be a superior path to try. There simply is not enough talent on the field to seriously compete at a high level. I find it offensive that GT would undertake any endeavor and decide that being mediocre at it is acceptable. A new coach is likely necessary to achieve this (and I like CPJ).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yes and No.
Does it give some level of schematic value? Yes, to a limit. The results are inconsistent and at the cost of recruiting, brand damage, and perception, no longer worth it.

I think the TO suits Tech today. The problem is other than CPJ, who can coach it? I think we have depth problems in coaching too.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm pretty sure, after every loss since I have participated in gtswarm there have been calls for the coach's firing. It just seems to be the knee jerk response of choice to express frustration. There will come a day when CPJ is no longer at the helm of GT football. Personally, I am in no hurry to get there, but I will not bore you with the argument to keep him, purely in the interest of time. In any case, such discussions have a great deal more merit towards the end of seasons rather than beginnings.

With that said, I am a bit disappointed in how we have answered the bell to 2018 as a team. In fact, I did text a friend (who could not watch the game yesterday) that was the worst half of football I have seen from GT in a decade. It was a text written in emotion, but now that I have had time to think and settle down, I am still very hard pressed to recall a worse one. Maybe blowing the huge lead against Miami after scoring something like 35 unanswered points at one juncture to take control (TW's tenure) would surpass this one. It would be and interesting, if not painful, debate.

At this point, GT has been maddeningly mistake prone. That is the bottom line. We have some areas of weakness personnel-wise, but that has not been the major contributor to our situation. I no longer have a DVR (in favor of youtube tv), so watching replays has been very limited, especially in terms of slo-mo review etc. However, for much of what is happening, I don't really need it and neither do you. Glaring STs mistakes, indecisive QB play, RBs cutting the wrong way in the open field, failure to protect the football, poorly thrown passes, dropped simple passes, poor gap responsibility, poor tackling angles in secondary, failure to wrap up, and the list goes on and on.

I guess the point I want to make is this: despite the incredible holes we have dug for ourselves and the mistakes committed, we have done enough to be competitive in those games on the scoreboard. Many teams would lose by 30 (and do every week) under similar circumstances. USF and PITT are not as bad as many on this board would like you to believe. There might be as few as 5 teams in the country who could make the kind of mistakes we did against them and still win. We put up 600+ yds against USF and won the second half decisively against PITT.

The thing to remember is mistakes are correctable. Whether we fix them or not is the question. Clearly, we are not a top echelon team in CFB. However, if we can manage to clean things up, we can go on to a very successful season from here. There are signs everywhere that this is possible if you just look for them. Just close your eyes for a second and imagine the flow of the games that would have been, IF IF IF we had simply avoided the most glaring, inexcusable and easily correctable mistakes. No game is ever perfect and I am not talking about perfection anyway - just the simple glaring stuff.

To be truthful, I have taken much of what has been said by players in the off season with a grain of salt, especially the stuff about how simple things are and we just run and react more on defense now. Anybody who knows boo about football knows that the complexities of running an odd front defense far outweigh those of an even front, or at least potentially can. Well, we are seeing a fair amount of confusion out there for such a simple situation, aren't we? In my mind, this has been expected in the early going. Even 4 year veterans are rookies in this system so leadership isn't blessed with system knowledge as an ingredient. I really really like some of the stuff I see on defense and I can visualize it coming together at some point. We are just far from consistent at executing anything at this point.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
@Animal02 ....have you actually sat down and talked with any football players? Some of what you are spewing on this board seems seriously misinformed. It is quite natural for athletes in sports like football and basketball to want to develop and get to the League and there is nothing wrong with that! To spew that they shouldn't come to GT strikes me as somehow elitist and hateful.