GT vs Pitt Postgame

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
In fact you do need to. That’s how conversations work. I said I wrote a check today to help improve our situation and encouraged others to do the same.

You responded by saying that USF has spent less money than us and has had better success over the last 3-5 years (a dubious claim I personally disagree with) and so I asked you to lay out their success beyond a single win head to head against us this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So since you refused to answer I will ask again. How will money help our situation?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
That fake punt killed us

So obviously the fake punt hurt. When asked in the interview post game, where so many on this board like to malign CPJ for not “owning it” and “accepting responsibility for things” he gave a straightforward answer.

The guys on the punt team thought they saw an opportunity to exploit a tendency Pitt has had in their coverage scheme. The call was for the ball carrier to run wide, instead the guy got the ball and tried to turn up field. The play failed.

Coach said it was on him for calling the play. He then explained the outcome he expected and diagnosed the issue he believes caused the failure, and reiterated it was on him then moved on.

I don’t support bashing players, but at the same time web opportunities are there and the kids just can’t execute them it is a tough deal. Sometimes players look great at practice and can’t come up with in under the lights. Early in the season that kind of thing happens more frequently. It’s frustrating but also a fact of life.

EDITED BECAUSE I CANT TYPE ON IPHONES WHILE HOLDING A BOURBON GLASS.

Last edited:

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I have been a huge TaQuon supporter. My support for him is running on low. I have some hope, but goodness gracious. Really bad passer, and he calls his own number WAY too many times. That last interception in the end zone was a killer. He played the whole game injured. Why? We needed Tobias today. TaQuon was not effective at all. Also, we don't have any good WRs. Stewart and Camp are meh. Camp's drop today was absolutely awful. Malachi Carter looks like he could be a player, though.
Through the first 3 games last year I thought we had a someone who could not only replace JT but maybe even be better. I will say Marshall does seem to be more decisive when running the option that JT at times but he is nowhere near the passer.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
So since you refused to answer I will ask again. How will money help our situation?

Sure, happy to answer.

More money will allow us to hire additional support staff for recruiting nationally and internationally. An area I believe we need to continue to get better in. We have a unique and limited pool of student athletes we can go after. The brutal reality is that travel budgets add up and we need to be able to spend the $ to go see the kids across the globe who can be a part of what we do.

Additionally, more money would enable us to create social media campaigns, like the relentless series for GT MBB, which can help to elevate our brand.

More money would also allow us to improve our severely dated and frankly outclassed strength and conditioning facilities. We have a lot of work left to do there, even with the rehab pools and nutrition stations that were part of the locker room renovations.

Finally additional funding would allow us to pay for better assistant coaches, support staff and ultimately (if needed) head football coach.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Sure, happy to answer.

More money will allow us to hire additional support staff for recruiting nationally and internationally. An area I believe we need to continue to get better in. We have a unique and limited pool of student athletes we can go after. The brutal reality is that travel budgets add up and we need to be able to spend the $ to go see the kids across the globe who can be a part of what we do.

Additionally, more money would enable us to create social media campaigns, like the relentless series for GT MBB, which can help to elevate our brand.

More money would also allow us to improve our severely dated and frankly outclassed strength and conditioning facilities. We have a lot of work left to do there, even with the rehab pools and nutrition stations that were part of the locker room renovations.

Finally additional funding would allow us to pay for better assistant coaches, support staff and ultimately (if needed) head football coach.

Do we have reason to believe that better facilities and support staff will allow uus to overcome our issues? Tenn comes to mind. They have better facilities than some NFL teams, a support staff that we would drool over yet they are constantly disappointed.

I wish this was an issue we could throw money at and fix, I just don’t see any evidence that GT would even commit to using extra funding for a failing program.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
As of now I can only foresee one maybe two more wins.

Louville L
Miami L
Clemson L
UVA L
UGA L
VT L

That’s firing numbers. Couple that with 3 losing season in a four year window and yeah it maybe time to move on.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
As of now I can only foresee one maybe two more wins.

Louville L
Miami L
Clemson L
UVA L
UGA L
VT L

That’s firing numbers. Couple that with 3 losing season in a four year window and yeah it maybe time to move on.

Clemson L
Bowling Green W
Louisville L
Duke L
Virginia Tech L
North Carolina W
Miami L
Virginia W
UGAG L

I think GT finishes the 2018 season 4-8

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Ugh, so I’m all honesty I guess there were some positives. The defense only giving up 3 in the second half was huge. I think Taquon just needs to play more confident...he’s playing like a Soph right now...I guess that’s what happens when you bounce around and end up at QB as a JR. Maybe we turn it around? I sure would love to see us pull a miracle and shock Clemson...

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Do we have reason to believe that better facilities and support staff will allow uus to overcome our issues? Tenn comes to mind. They have better facilities than some NFL teams, a support staff that we would drool over yet they are constantly disappointed.

I wish this was an issue we could throw money at and fix, I just don’t see any evidence that GT would even commit to using extra funding for a failing program.

Yes?

More to the point.. if you don’t think [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅100)̲̅$̲̅] are the issue, and do want to buy out CPJ, how do you connect the two? We aren’t in a financially sound position already, so double paying coaches seems like a bad call.. what am I missing here?

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Please tell me how money will fix our current problems. We have data that shows all trends down with the exception of money.

The reason money hasn't helped is because we haven't spent it where it could do the most to help, namely the recruiting budget. We need to go national with our recruiting and target athletically gifted smart kids with a bent toward science, technology, engineering, and math. We have to turn the liability of being the only top 25 STEM school in a power 5 conference into an asset. I know I've harped on this before, but I'll do it again because it is what we need to do in order to improve our situation. We are NOT going to do that by recruiting in our back yard against all the football factories that surround us in a state with such academically weak high schools. Nine out of the last 10 college football national champions have come from states bordering Georgia. And here we sit right in the middle of them with our high academic standards and limited curriculum.

If we don't get out of our back yard and start recruiting nationally, we are going to stay trapped in our vortex of mediocrity. If we do get out of our back yard, we have a chance to dramatically improve our situation. And as the only power 5 school among the top 25 STEM schools, we have an excellent chance to do that. We have to turn that into an asset. And to do that we need to spend dramatically more on recruiting even if it means cutting back on our other projects. And I have no idea why we haven't already done it. Maybe we need to change coaches and maybe we don't, but it's like debating whether we need a new arrangement of the deck chairs on the Titanic while what we need to be doing is figuring out how to fix that hole in the hull.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
More to the point.. if you don’t think [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅100)̲̅$̲̅] are the issue, and do want to buy out CPJ, how do you connect the two? We aren’t in a financially sound position already, so double paying coaches seems like a bad call.. what am I missing here?

You are missing that you don't keep paying a guy who can't get it done. Of course that's part of the reason some people were so against the extension last year.

techfan4

Georgia Tech Fan
Johnson called a great game last week and we lost in spite of that. Johnson did not call a good first half today and we lost because of that.

I think the only reason it may seem that he called a good game last week was that he called a simple game for Tobias and that was when we had the most success. He did not call a good game for Taquon in that game, and it looked even worse over a full game today.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Does everybody else agree with me? We've got to stop being so elitist as a program? I feel with a new hire Tstan can turn some heads in the administration. At least that's my hope

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Does everybody else agree with me? We've got to stop being so elitist as a program? I feel with a new hire Tstan can turn some heads in the administration. At least that's my hope

Just out of curiosity what is your definition of elitist? You've put that out there but define it as to the football program at Tech so we can understand what you claiming?

Last edited: